• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This may explain why some mainstream muslims call Sufism to be false teaching

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
After i become a sufi there has been times where some mainstream muslims attacked the sufi path (that is ok)
But it made me think about why they do it, and this following text may explain it a bit.
Sufism is much more a spiritual path than a strickly religious one and that seem to trigger reaction from mainstream muslims.

Islam vs Sufism

Introduction
Islam is a dogmatic and monotheistic religion founded by Prophet Muhammad about 1400 years ago on the basis of revelations of Allah contained in the holy book of Quran. Islam is a strictly enforced way of life according to dictates of Quran and Hadith (subsequent explanations of Muhammad’s sayings) that every believer of Islam is mandated to follow. Islam believes there is only one God and that is Allah and no other God. According to Islam the purpose of life is to live according to Quran and Hadith and thereby serve Allah.

Sufism, on the other hand is spiritual dimension of God-man union. Some scholars on religion and spirituality believe Sufism is a mystical concept that predates history, long before organised religion came in to existence. It is claimed that the idea of Sufism has been expressed by Hindu and Christian hermits and later influenced Islam. Nevertheless it is safe to say that Sufism has been blossomed in the structure and practices of Islam. Some believe Sufism among Muslims developed out of disenchantment of the materialistic and luxurious life-styles of moneyed Muslims, especially the Umayyad Caliphate. According to Ali Hujwiri, Ali Talib was the founder of Sufism within Islam. Many scholars of Islam and Sufism believe that Sufism is all about internalisation of Islam that includes such practices as recitation, meditation, and other ritualistic activities. It is also claimed by some scholars that Sufism means emulation of the life of Muhammad, and striving to be exactly as Muhammad was.

In the following link you can go deeper in to the differences between Islam and Sufism.

Read more: Difference Between Islam and Sufism | Difference Between Difference Between Islam and Sufism | Difference Between

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I can agree with some of that web page but not all. Specifically one thing I disagree with:

Those who believe in Sufism voluntarily accept poverty and celibacy, and refrain from any kind of worldly pleasure.

There may be groups with the label sufi who are strict ascetics but that's not mainstream sufism as I understand it.

Sufis view music and dance as more fruitful exercises in praising God.

This is true of the Chisti school of sufism but my understanding is that it's not universally true.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I can agree with some of that web page but not all. Specifically one thing I disagree with:

There may be groups with the label sufi who are strict ascetics but that's not mainstream sufism as I understand it.

This is true of the Chisti school of sufism but my understanding is that it's not universally true.
At the moment i do live a normal life but I do too refrain from any excess belongings

Niblo

Premium Member
‘It is narrated on the authority of Abu Huraira that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: “Ask me (about matters pertaining to religion), but they (the Companions of the Holy Prophet) were too much overawed out of profound respect for him to ask him (anything).

‘In the meanwhile a man came there, and sat near his knees and said: “Messenger of Allah, what is al-lslam”?

‘To which he (the Holy Prophet) replied: “You must not associate anything with Allah, and establish prayer, pay the poor-rate (Zakat) and observe (the fasts) of Ramadan”.

‘He said: You (have) told the truth. He (again) said: “Messenger of Allah, what is al-Iman (the faith)”?

‘He (the Holy Prophet) said: “That you affirm your faith in Allah, His angels, His Books, His meeting, His Apostles, and that you believe in Resurrection and that you believe in Qadr (Divine Decree) in all its entirety”.

‘He (the inquirer) said: “You (have) told the truth. He (again) said: “Messenger of Allah, what is al-Ihsan”?

‘Upon this he (the Holy Prophet) said: “(Al-Ihsan implies) that you fear Allah as if you are seeing Him, and though you see Him not, verily He is seeing you”.

‘He (the inquirer) said: “You (have) told the truth”. He (the inquirer) said: “When shall be the hour (of Doom)”?

‘(Upon this) he (the Holy Prophet said:

‘“The one who is being asked about it is no better informed than the inquirer himself. I, however, narrate some of its signs (and these are): when you see a slave (woman) giving birth to her master - that is one of the signs of (Doom); when you see barefooted, naked, deaf and dumb (ignorant and foolish persons) as the rulers of the earth - that is one of the signs of the Doom. And when you see the shepherds of black camels exult in buildings - that is one of the signs of Doom. The (Doom) is one of the five things (wrapped) in the unseen. No one knows them except Allah”.

‘Then (the Holy Prophet) recited (the following verse): " Verily Allah! with Him alone is the knowledge of the hour and He it is Who sends down the rain and knows that which is in the wombs and no person knows whatsoever he shall earn on morrow and a person knows not in whatsoever land he shall die. Verily Allah is Knowing, Aware.”

‘He (the narrator, Abu Huraira) said: “Then the person stood up and (made his way). The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) said: “Bring him back to me”.

‘He was searched for, but they (the Companions of the Holy Prophet) could not find him. The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) thereupon said: “He was Jibreel and he wanted to teach you (things pertaining to religion) when you did not ask them yourselves”.

(Muslim: Book 001, Number 0006). See also: Muslim: Book 001, Number 0004; and Bukhari: Volume 1, Book 2, Number 47.

From this ḥādīth we see that Islam is a tree with three major branches:

Islam - Submissions to the Will of Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla), especially concerning what is right or wrong, halal or haram. This branch is the preserve of the jurists.

Iman – Faith. Belief in One God; in His Angels; in His Prophets; in His Books; in the Day of Judgement and so on. This branch is the preserve of the theologians.

Ihsan – Remembrance of Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla); righteousness, self-realisation and so on. This branch is the preserve of those who practice Tasawwuf.

Continued:

Niblo

Premium Member
There are people – especially in the West – who call themselves ‘Sufis’ but are not Muslims. And there are Muslims who call themselves ‘Sufis’ but whose practices are – to say the least – suspect. A true follower of Tasawwuf knows that the shari‘a and ‘aqida of Islam are paramount. They know this…….and they act accordingly. One who does not act in this way, and yet pretends to be a Sufi, is like one who walks through a hospital wearing a white coat, with a stethoscope around his neck, trying desperately to convince everyone that he is a doctor. A real doctor is something else.

It is clear from the ḥādīth quoted above that the practise of Tasawwuf (living in the remembrance of Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla) was the norm among the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam) and his Companions, even though the term ‘Tasawwuf’, like many other Islamic disciplines, was not known to them. It was, however, very much in use during the period of the four great Imams of the Maḏāhib. This is what they had to say about it:

‘If it were not for two years, I would have perished. For two years I accompanied Hazrat Jafer as-Sadiq (R.A) and I acquired the spiritual knowledge that made me a knower in the Way (i.e. Sufism).’ (Reported of Imam Abu Hanifa: ‘Ad-Durr Al-Mukhthar’; Volume 1, page 43).

‘Whoever studies jurisprudence and does not study Sufism will be corrupted. Whoever studies Sufism and does not study Jurisprudence will become a heretic. Whoever combines both will reach the truth.’ (Imam Malik: ‘Kashf Al-Khafa Wa Muzid Al-Abas’; Volume 1, page 41).

‘I accompanied the Sufi people and I received from them three kinds of knowledge: They taught me how to speak. They taught me how to treat people with leniency and a soft heart. They guided me in the ways of Sufism.’ (Imam Shafi: ‘Tanwir Al-Qulub’; page 405).

‘O my son you have to sit with the Sufis, because they are like a fountain of knowledge. They recite the remembrance of Allah (S.W.T) in their hearts. They are ascetics and they have the most spiritual power……………………… I do not know any people better than them.’ (Imam Ahmad bin Hanbal, advising his son: ‘Ghiza Al-Albab’; Volume 1, page 120).

And what of other scholars?

‘I knew it to be true that the Sufis are the seekers in Allah's Way. Their conduct is the best of conduct. Their way is the best of ways. Their manners are the most sanctified. They have purified their hearts from other than Allah and they have made them as pathways for rivers to run receiving knowledge of the Divine Presence.’ (Imam Ghazali: ‘Al-Munqidh Min Ad-Dalal’; page 131).

‘The specification of the Ways of the Sufis are five: To keep the Presence of Allah (S.W.T) in your heart in public and in private. To follow the Sunnah of the Prophet (S.A.W) by action and speech.
To keep away from dependence on people. To be happy with what Allah (S.W.T) gives you, even if it is little. To always refer your matters to Allah (S.W.T) Almighty and Exalted.’ (Imam Nawawi: ‘Al-Maqasid At-Tawhid’; page 20).

‘Sufism appeared in the 1st century of Islam and it received tremendous honour. It purified the self, straightened the conduct and gave knowledge to people from the wisdom and secrets of the Divine Presence.’ (Muhammad Abduh: ‘Majallat Al Muslim’; page 24).

‘The Sufis initiate people in Oneness and sincerity in following the Sunnah of the Prophet (S.A.W), in repentance from their sins and in avoidance of every disobedience to Allah, Almighty and Exalted. Their guides encourage them to move in the way of perfect Love of Allah.’ (Abul Hasan Ali An-Nadwi: ‘Muslims in India’; pages 140-146).

‘Sufism is a reality whose signs are the love of Allah and the love of the Prophet (S.A.W), where one absents oneself for their sake and one is annihilated from anything other than them. It instructs us how to follow in the footsteps of the Prophet (S.A.W)……………The Shariah and Sufism; what is the similitude of the two? They are like the body and the soul. The body is the external knowledge, the Shariah, and the spirit is the internal knowledge.’ (Abul Ala Mawdudi: ‘Mabadi Al Islam’; page 17).

It is clear from the above that Tasawwuf is very much a part of Islam.

My son is a murid in the Shadhili tariqa, and has been one for around fifteen years. All members of this tariqa follow one of the four Sunni Maḏāhib; as well as one of the two schools of tenets of faith, Ash‘ari or Maturidi. My son is of the Maliki; and follows the Ash‘ari school in ‘aqida. Like all Shadhili murids he does not take his Dīn from those who are not Imams, especially not from orientalists or authors without a traditional Islamic education at the hands of the tradition’s Shaykhs.

Continued:

Last edited:

Niblo

Premium Member
Perhaps we would better understand Tasawwuf if we first understood what a Sufi is; and perhaps the best definition of both the Sufi and his way – certainly one of the most frequently quoted by masters of the discipline – is from the Sunna of the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam):

‘On the authority of Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him), who said that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) said: Allah (mighty and sublime be He) said:

‘”Whosoever shows enmity to someone devoted to Me, I shall be at war with him. My servant draws not near to Me with anything more loved by Me than the religious duties I have enjoined upon him, and My servant continues to draw near to Me with supererogatory works so that I shall love him. When I love him I am his hearing with which he hears, his seeing with which he sees, his hand with which he strikes and his foot with which he walks. Were he to ask (something) of Me, I would surely give it to him, and were he to ask Me for refuge, I would surely grant him it. I do not hesitate about anything as much as I hesitate about (seizing) the soul of My faithful servant: he hates death and I hate hurting him.”’ (Sahih Bukhari – Hadith Qudsi).

This ḥādīth is deemed ‘sahih’.

A Sufi is a person of religious learning; and it is only through learning that the Sufi can come to know what Allah (subḥānahu ūta'āla) has made obligatory for him.

Imam Malik, one of the four Sunni Imams of Shari’a wrote:

‘He who practices Tasawwuf without learning Sacred Law corrupts his faith, while he who learns Sacred Law without practicing Tasawwuf corrupts himself. Only he who combines the two proves true.”

Tasawwuf requires Islam, through ‘submission to the rules of Sacred Law.’ But Islam, for its part, requires Tasawwuf. Why? For the very good reason that the Sunna which Muslims have been commanded to follow is not just the words and actions of the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam), but also his states of heart: his sincerity; his reliance on Allāh (subḥānahu ūta'āla); his mercy; his humility, and so on.

Pretenders confuse people. They make the true followers of Tasawwuf appear alien to other Muslims. This in turn causes people, such as the Salafis and Wahabis (and others) to demonise and to ostracise probably one of the most important group of people in mainstream Islam.

It is often forgotten that those Islamic scholars (such as Ibn al-Jawzi; Ibn Taymiya; or Ibn al-Qayyim) who have criticised certain ‘sufis’ were not criticising Tasawwuf as an ancillary discipline to the shari‘a, but the practices of the pretenders.

Ibn Taymiya considered himself a Sufi of the Qadiri order, and on his death was buried in Damascus in the cemetery reserved by endowment (waqf) for Sufis.

His student Ibn Qayyim devoted long hours to nightly prayer and is said to have been in a state of constant remembrance of Allah (Subḥānahu ūta'āla). He wrote a detailed spiritual commentary on a treatise written by the Hanbali Sufi Khwaja Abdullah Ansari. In his commentary, Ibn Qayyim speaks of his love and appreciation for Ansari. In his work: ‘Al-Wabil al-Sayyib min al-Kalim al-Tayyab’ he refers to Ansari by the honorific title ‘Sheikh al-Islam’.

Mistakes have occurred in Tasawwuf as in all the Islamic sciences. Most of these mistakes have arisen because the primacy of the shari‘a and ‘aqida were not recognised.

Brian2

Veteran Member
After i become a sufi there has been times where some mainstream muslims attacked the sufi path (that is ok)
But it made me think about why they do it, and this following text may explain it a bit.
Sufism is much more a spiritual path than a strickly religious one and that seem to trigger reaction from mainstream muslims.

Islam vs Sufism

Introduction
Islam is a dogmatic and monotheistic religion founded by Prophet Muhammad about 1400 years ago on the basis of revelations of Allah contained in the holy book of Quran. Islam is a strictly enforced way of life according to dictates of Quran and Hadith (subsequent explanations of Muhammad’s sayings) that every believer of Islam is mandated to follow. Islam believes there is only one God and that is Allah and no other God. According to Islam the purpose of life is to live according to Quran and Hadith and thereby serve Allah.

Sufism, on the other hand is spiritual dimension of God-man union. Some scholars on religion and spirituality believe Sufism is a mystical concept that predates history, long before organised religion came in to existence. It is claimed that the idea of Sufism has been expressed by Hindu and Christian hermits and later influenced Islam. Nevertheless it is safe to say that Sufism has been blossomed in the structure and practices of Islam. Some believe Sufism among Muslims developed out of disenchantment of the materialistic and luxurious life-styles of moneyed Muslims, especially the Umayyad Caliphate. According to Ali Hujwiri, Ali Talib was the founder of Sufism within Islam. Many scholars of Islam and Sufism believe that Sufism is all about internalisation of Islam that includes such practices as recitation, meditation, and other ritualistic activities. It is also claimed by some scholars that Sufism means emulation of the life of Muhammad, and striving to be exactly as Muhammad was.

In the following link you can go deeper in to the differences between Islam and Sufism.

Read more: Difference Between Islam and Sufism | Difference Between Difference Between Islam and Sufism | Difference Between

If you believe the things other Muslims believe and do the things other Muslims are supposed to do and refrain from what Muslims refrain from then going further surely should not be a problem. People are strange. Some might think that you are seeing yourself as better than they are.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If you believe the things other Muslims believe and do the things other Muslims are supposed to do and refrain from what Muslims refrain from then going further surely should not be a problem. People are strange. Some might think that you are seeing yourself as better than they are.
I know very well i am not better than others :) but i see your point @Brian2

danieldemol

Premium Member

danieldemol

Premium Member
@Niblo I just thought of a bonus question.

If God hates killing/hurting God's faithful why is there no known difference in mortality rates etc between the Sufi and the non-Sufi?

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist

Islam vs Sufism

Introduction

Sufism is islamic mysticism, sufism and islam is not separate. Sufism started with prophet Mohammed.

It is a lie that sufism can be separated from islam. Sufism is 100% islamic. sufism is a big part of islam.

Last edited:

Shakeel

Sufism is 100% islamic. Sufism is a big part of islam.
No. It's neither. However, I was making a point based on the text in the OP. It is kind of funny how it actually presents the case as just that. Just look:

"Islam is...." and "Islam is..." and again "Islam believes..[poor grammar...]"

But then "Sufism, on the other hand..." and "sufism is..." and "sufism has been".

Just saying, they're quoting an article implying just that sufism and islam are different things.

Starlight

No. It's neither. However, I was making a point based on the text in the OP. It is kind of funny how it actually presents the case as just that. Just look:

"Islam is...." and "Islam is..." and again "Islam believes..[poor grammar...]"

But then "Sufism, on the other hand..." and "sufism is..." and "sufism has been".

Just saying, they're quoting an article implying just that sufism and islam are different things.
I disagree with the OP.
sufism and Islam is NOT separate at all.
sufism and Islam is NOT different things

Sufism started with Prophet Muhammad. Sufism is the spiritual part of Islam.

Shakeel

I disagree with the OP.
sufism and Islam is NOT separate at all.
sufism and Islam is NOT different things
Then why is it that the op's manner of practicing sufism is so drastically different from the way I practice Islam? Why is it that most Muslims believe that what he is practicing is shirk - the greatest sin in Islam?

Starlight

Since you're so passionate about it, how about you explain how it is a big part of islam and 100% islamic.
Islam has different dimensions.
Islam is both iman and ihsan. Sufism is the ihsan part of islam.

Starlight

Then why is it that the op's manner of practicing sufism is so drastically different from the way I practice Islam? Why is it that most Muslims believe that what he is practicing is shirk - the greatest sin in Islam?

I think the reason why you practice islam so differently is because you ignore Sufism and the OP believes Sufism is the most important part of islam