• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is who we are fighting in Afghanistan

kai

ragamuffin
Taleban Swat truce 'indefinite'

Taleban insurgents in the troubled north-western Swat valley of Pakistan have announced an indefinite ceasefire.
The announcement follows a deal struck last week between a radical cleric and authorities that brings Sharia law in return for an end to the insurgency. The Taleban have been assessing that deal and Tuesday's move followed a meeting held by the group's leader in the region, Maulana Fazlullah

More than 1,000 civilians have died in shelling by the army or from beheadings sanctioned by the Taleban. Thousands more have been displaced. The Taleban have also destroyed nearly 200 schools, most of them for girls, during a sustained campaign against secular education in Swat.

BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | Taleban Swat truce 'indefinite'

Napoleon

Obama's plan to redeploy our troops from Iraq to Afghanistan is a good idea in principle but it's a few years too late. Neither the Iraqis or the Afghans are interested in establishing a Western Democracy nor are they ready for it. It's not our problem If they decide to reestablish Sharia Law and use their freedom to blow each other to bits. Personally, I don't care either way. As far as I'm concerned, the war of ideology in the region is over and we lost. It's time to take our lumps and leave the Iraqis and Afghans to their own devices.

Last edited:

kai

ragamuffin
Obama's plan to redeploy our troops from Iraq to Afghanistan is a good idea in principle but it's a few years too late. Neither the Iraqis or the Afghans are interested in establishing a Western Democracy nor are they ready for it. It's not our problem If they decide to reestablish Sharia Law and use their freedom to blow each other to bits. Personally, I don't care either way. As far as I'm concerned, the war of ideology in the region is over and we lost. It's time to take our lumps and leave the Iraqis and Afghans to their own devices.

do you think the the Alqueda and its kindred that would set up shop in Taliban held territory would leave us alone? and what makes you think that?

Napoleon

do you think the the Alqueda and its kindred that would set up shop in Taliban held territory would leave us alone? and what makes you think that?

Al Qaeda is a global organization and radical Islam is a global phenomena so it isn't just about what goes on in Afghanistan. We can and should work to contain it here at home instead of chasing after a pipe dream in the Middle East.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

I think the Afghans do want freedom from the Taliban and in the words of an Afghan Policeman fighting alongside British Soldiers,he said the Taliban for the most part are not even Afghans,they come from Iran,Uzbekistan,Pakistan etc and we want rid of them.
This Man has been wounded 13 times fighting them so i believe him and i also agree with him.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I'm afraid in the not too distant future there will be one Mother of a war(hope not)with the Taliban getting a grip in Pakistan it won't be long until they turn their attention to India.
Pakistan should be taken to task for harbouring this scum who force their will on others and taken to task for the implementation of sharia hudd.
Pakistan along with Iran ,Syria,Uzbekistan are going to be a major problem to all of us and i think its time to get tough on Pakistan which has one of the most corrupt governments on the planet with a growing number of extremists.

kai

ragamuffin
Al Qaeda is a global organization and radical Islam is a global phenomena so it isn't just about what goes on in Afghanistan. We can and should work to contain it here at home instead of chasing after a pipe dream in the Middle East.

Do you mean that the US should only act in a defensive posture from its own shores? you wish to ignore global Phenomena and hope it goes away?

Napoleon

Do you mean that the US should only act in a defensive posture from its own shores?

Yes. The only real national security threat comes from within our own borders.

you wish to ignore global Phenomena and hope it goes away?

There's a clear difference between choosing not to bound into foreign nations, guns blazing, and trying to impose Western Democracy and our ideas of freedom and ignoring the problem. This is an ideological war and it will never be won with bombs and bullets.

kai

ragamuffin
Yes. The only real national security threat comes from within our own borders.

Alqueda has declared Americans everywhere are legitimate targets , would you advise all US citizens to stay within your own borders.

There's a clear difference between choosing not to bound into foreign nations, guns blazing, and trying to impose Western Democracy and our ideas of freedom and ignoring the problem. This is an ideological war and it will never be won with bombs and bullets.

Is there any other kind of war? are you sure we are imposing anything no one is forced to vote. Do you think we could negotiate with the Taliban and Alqueda what would you compromise on? or would you just pick up and head home and leave them to it and build a wall around America, or declare the US an Islamic state and call for the reinstatement of the Caliphate that way you would be on the same idealogical ground and there would be no conflict.

Last edited:

Napoleon

Is there any other kind of war?

Yes. There are two kinds of war; preemptive (ideological) and defensive (self-explanatory).

are you sure we are imposing anything no one is forced to vote.

We didn't ask the Iraqis or Afghans if they wanted Democracy. We didn't ask the Iraqis or Afghans if they wanted a puppet government with the United States pulling the strings. We didn't ask the Iraqis or Afghans if they wanted the United States to pick and choose who would be on their ballots. We didn't ask the Iraqis or Afghans if they wanted to step away from Sharia Law. And guess what? They chose to vote it back.

Do you think we could negotiate with the Taliban and Alqueda what would you compromise on?

No.

or would you just pick up and head home and leave them to it...

Yes.

and build a wall around America...

I don't consider focusing our efforts on domestic terrorism to be building a wall around America.

...or declare the US an Islamic state and call for the reinstatement of the Caliphate that way you would be on the same idealogical ground and there would be no conflict.

That is utterly ridiculous. You, the soldiers, and their supporters can give as many sob stories and and tales about how good it makes you feel that we've foisted Democracy on the Middle East but the reality is that it hasn't done squat to reduce or eliminate terrorism, or the the threat thereof, at home or abroad.

kai

ragamuffin
Yes. There are two kinds of war; preemptive (ideological) and defensive (self-explanatory).

You wouldn't need to defend unless attacked and once you are attacked you would need to bring the fight to the enemy or submit of course. And your description of Preemptive and defensive ,is of operations , once engaged you are "in " a war and cannot defend without attacking. But the actual war itself would need to be ideological otherwise you would have nothing to fight about would you?

We didn't ask the Iraqis or Afghans if they wanted Democracy. We didn't ask the Iraqis or Afghans if they wanted a puppet government with the United States pulling the strings. We didn't ask the Iraqis or Afghans if they wanted the United States to pick and choose who would be on their ballots. We didn't ask the Iraqis or Afghans if they wanted to step away from Sharia Law. And guess what? They chose to vote it back.

Really ? do you have a source for me i wasnt aware the US picked candidates, even the communists? and former mujahadeen?

Yes.
If you pick up and head home , Then you feel that a resurgence of the Taliban and Alqueda in Afghanistan would not be a threat to the US? Do you think they are a threat at all?

I don't consider focusing our efforts on domestic terrorism to be building a wall around America.
But thats the only way isn't it ? how else could you deter attacks from an enemy sworn to kill you, if you wont engage him off your territory

That is utterly ridiculous. You, the soldiers, and their supporters can give as many sob stories and and tales about how good it makes you feel that we've foisted Democracy on the Middle East but the reality is that it hasn't done squat to reduce or eliminate terrorism, or the the threat thereof, at home or abroad.

You are aware of Alqueda policy aims and goals? if so then why is what i said ridiculous?

Last edited:

kai

ragamuffin
Taleban militants from Pakistan's troubled Swat valley have stormed the nearby district of Buner, killing at least five people, police say. A local tribal force has been battling the militants since Monday, but their resistance is weakening, residents say.
The Taleban overran Swat district nearly two years ago, and have held it despite an 18-month-long military operation to uproot them.
The Buner incursion is likely to strain a peace deal with the NWFP government.

BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | Taleban storm district near Swat

Taliban pushing deep into Pakistan

The clash shows the size of the challenge faced by the US in its bid to suppress the insurgency in Pakistan, which is not only feeding Islamic extremism across the border in Afghanistan but also threatens to destabilise Pakistan's civilian Government. The US believes the bulk of the Taliban leadership is in Pakistan, not in Afghanistan
Taliban pushing deep into Pakistan | The Australian

so does anyone else who has a clue!

Last edited:

Yerda

Veteran Member
so does anyone else who has a clue!
Including channel 4 programme Dispatches. Did you see "Pakistan's Taliban Generation", Kai? It's hard to describe how angry it made me without violating the rules of the forum.

kai

ragamuffin
Hi Jaiket

No i didnt see it , i looked it up here:

Dispatches - Exclusive - Pakistan's Taliban Generation - Channel 4

In the past two years, the Taliban have blown up over 200 girls' schools, beheaded 50 government officials, bombed countless police checkpoints, executed women they deemed immoral, publicly lashed those who disobeyed them and cut up the bodies of people they thought were spies, leaving them in the centre of the valley for the residents to see.

yes this is who we are fighting in Afghanistan

kai

ragamuffin
This storm is a long time coming, but its coming

Using stark language, Mrs Clinton said the situation in Pakistan needed urgent attention.
"I think that we can not underscore the seriousness of the existential threat posed to the state of Pakistan," she said, describing the rebels as a "loosely-confederated group of terrorists and others seeking to overthrow the Pakistani state".

BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | Clinton concern for Pakistan fate