• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is who we are fighting in Afghanistan

kai

ragamuffin
at last i think someone has switched the light bulb on!

Speaking on the eve of the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, Admiral Mike Mullen called for a military strategy that covered both sides of the border. The US must work closely with Pakistan to "eliminate [the enemy's] safe havens", he told Congress.

BUT

"There is no question of any agreement or understanding with the coalition forces whereby they are allowed to conduct operations on our side of the border," Pakistan's Chief of Army Staff, Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani, said.

BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | US 'must target Pakistan havens'

The residents of Sheikh Yasin camp are not celebrating the inauguration of Pakistan's new president.

BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | Pakistan's counter-insurgency quandary

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
The BBC's Barbara Plett travels to Bajaur where the Pakistani army is encouraging villagers to stand up to Taleban fighters.

BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | Pakistan villagers taking on the Taleban

This is encouraging.

I honestly find it sad that the Afghan and Iraqee population think its appropriate to kill the western forces who are trying to help them. Should we leave them be and watch their slightly improved lives turn into a struggle for survival again?
Would they like that? If we're hated so much why don't we let them all die and see who comes to save them then? Im honestly disgusted by the treatment of western soliders in these countries when our boys are trying so hard to make their lives better, and all the thanks they get is a bullet through the chest.

Sorry ill stop my ranting :eek:

kai

ragamuffin
Is it winnable?
Will it be won?

more like have we the will to win it? democracies have a dissadvatage when it come to casualties ,they can bring down a government.and a government will want to cling on to power. its not going to be easy not with a million troops in Afghanistan, The Taliban and Alqueda are in Pakistan.

kai

ragamuffin
What brave warriors the Taliban

initial reports are that they encouraged a thirteen year old boy to push a wheel barrow full of explosives toward the marines then detonated it.

Sergeant John Manuel, Corporal Marc Birch and Marine Damian Davies died in a blast in Helmand province caused by a suspected suicide bomber aged 13.

BBC NEWS | UK | Four killed in Afghanistan named

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
its interesting to note that not many people seem to know whats going on in Afghanistan , i get the impression that most people think we are still fighting Al queda , although Al queda is still active in the area ,we are in fact fighting a protracted war against the the much more capable foe the Taliban.

Iraq has taken centre stage for most anti war activists but we are in a WAR in Afghanistan and make no mistake it could be still going on long after we have left Iraq. the UK at present has more troops in Afghanistan than it has in Iraq.

I dont want it to be a forgotten war hence my reminder

BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | Who are the Taleban?

Unfortunately until Pakistan come into the fold and join the fight against the Taliban this is how it will be but make no mistake the Taliban are suffering.
On a more lighthearted note Bin Laden is more famous than Michael Jackson which is surprising because his videos are c**p

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Pakistan's spreading Taleban war

BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | Pakistan's spreading Taleban war

has anyone noticed how we dont get much info on this war in the UK there was a big offensive over Xmas in Helmand operation SOND CHARA (Red dagger) but not much on the news , if it wasnt for other sources i would know more about Gaza than Afghanistan which is a little odd seeing its "our" war.

Thats true,i am the same i have to get news for other sources although i know the Taliban have had four bases taken from them.

kai

ragamuffin
'Long struggle'
The Obama administration is stressing that it is still reviewing its Afghan policy.
But Ambassador Holbrooke told the conference that Washington would be working under the principle that Pakistan and others in the region would have to be part of the solution to Afghanistan's problems.
"What is required in my view is new ideas, better coordination within the US government, better coordination with our Nato allies and other concerned countries, and the time to get it right," he said.
The envoy, who is to embark on a tour of the region soon, also said: "It is like no other problem we have confronted, and in my view it's going to be much tougher than Iraq. "It is going to be a long, difficult struggle."

well it seems they are beginning to smell the coffee!

BBC NEWS | World | South Asia | Afghanistan 'tougher than Iraq'

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
I think things will speed up once the troops from Iraq get there and we can go on the offensive as at the moment it is just a holding action.