• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Is It, The Line Has Been Drawn

silvermoon383

Yes, I'm well aware of how sick everyone is of hearing me say that President Obama's administration and Congress will be the death of NASA. Yes, I'm well aware that the most vocal of the people who reply want to see NASA shut down so that its funding (0.53% of the federal budget) can be given to the "starving and desperate for money" social programs (19.63% for Social Security, 16.13% for Unemployment, 12.79% for Medicare, and 8.19% for Medicaid: 56.74% total, 3 times that of the defense budget of 18.74%).

Well, guess what, here I am again, because this time it's happening. The newest Appropriations bill from the House has slashed NASA's budget by 8.8%, a loss of nearly $2 billion. Granted, the loss of the shuttle and Constellation was a major source of the budget loss, but this new bill put another project on the block, one whose importance rivals that of the shuttle and Constellation: the James Webb Space Telescope. This telescope is Hubble's replacement and one of the biggest science projects ever and should be ready to launch by 2015.

Once again the government is putting a gun up to the US's future's head and with everything going on it's quite likely that they'll pull the trigger this time. Losing manned space was bad enough, now a major component of our science infrastructure might be lost as well. If Congress gets their wish this will be an unmitigated disaster that will ruin the country's science capabilities, and at a time when we need to bolster it, not cut it.

Please, please, please, contact your Representatives so that this bill can be burned at the stake like it deserves.

Source

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
America has a new vision of greatness. No, it's not about pushing the limits of knowledge or accomplishing great tasks..
...it's about evening out the inequities in society...bringing the high fliers down & the failures up to some common level.
We'll leave it to other countries to explore space, manufacture our products, & provide us with services.

Skwim

Veteran Member
America has a new vision of greatness. No, it's not about pushing the limits of knowledge or accomplishing great tasks..
...it's about evening out the inequities in society...bringing the high fliers down & the failures up to some common level.
We'll leave it to other countries to explore space, manufacture our products, & provide us with services.
We have to get back on our feet before we can soar again.*

*(I love triteness, but only if it's mine :D)

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
No matter, we're raising a whole generation of fat, lazy people who are socially and intellectually retarded. Another few years, and we're not going to have the raw human material to persue a space program anyway.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Most Americans don't want to lead the world anymore. At least they certainly aren't willing to do what it takes to do that.

Attachments

• MannedSpaceFlight.jpg
    719 KB · Views: 126

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Last time I checked, there was a lot of animosity about us "leading the world," so - lots of people should be happy with our step backwards.

I find it ironic that some people want us to continue to lead, but then pillorize those individuals and companies and interests which actually do lead us.

It's going to be interesting not being Big Man on Campus anymore. Wonder who will fill that void? Because - it WILL be filled. Better hope that spot is filled by a country or group of countries that values personal freedom.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Think of all the money that has been wasted on fighting wars over seas and on "the war on drugs" here at home that could have been better spent on furthering education, science and space exploration.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I find it ironic that some people want us to continue to lead, but then pillorize those individuals and companies and interests which actually do lead us.

That's because those who've lead us are responsible for crippling america in the first place.

It's going to be interesting not being Big Man on Campus anymore. Wonder who will fill that void? Because - it WILL be filled. Better hope that spot is filled by a country or group of countries that values personal freedom.

It will be filled by China, and we know how they value freedom.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
That's because those who've lead us are responsible for crippling america in the first place.

It will be filled by China, and we know how they value freedom.

What's that old quote - "Countries have the governments that they deserve?"

I'm not saying that's the truth - it's too much of a blanket statement. But it's thought provoking.

ScottySatan

I don't think america is crippled at all. I think people are being overly pessimistic. This is not the worst recession we've had. The peak of americas power came after the worst recession we've ever had. Our economy has 4x the volume of china's. We are not playing catch up to anyone.

America is what we make it. Have some pride and make it great.

I thought I heard that investing in NASA brought jobs and industrial profit to the US? shouldn't we invest MORE in NASA?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
America is what we make it. Have some pride and make it great.

I thought I heard that investing in NASA brought jobs and industrial profit to the US? shouldn't we invest MORE in NASA?
The statement I bolded is the key. The problem is that no one can agree on what it is we want to make America into.