• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Is Art (it really is)

PureX

Veteran Member
This is not unique to America, and it is, I feel, intrinsically tied with making art in a capitalist world. In order for work to be seen as valuable, it must produce something of value to the capitalist market economy.

Even pieces of high art tend to be traded, bought and sold on the market, for the same purposes you outline above. At their very best, they end up being displayed as part of private collections, in order to heighten the social status of their owner and present them as people of fine taste.
I agree completely. There are, however, a small handful of non-corporate, non-billionaire collectors that really know what art is, and where to find it, and that are able to acquire great collections of artworks, inexpensively; who then donate those collected works to their favorite museums. And God bless these intrepid collectors, because they are alone responsible for the rest of us being able to see and appreciate (if we are willing) the great artworks being created all around us. Without them, no one would bother seeking out and saving these artworks.The rich and the "art world" that cow-tows to profit and fame aren't interested in artworks that aren't already deemed 'bonafide' by the like-minded. So their doors are almost completely closed to new artists, or artists that push the limits of establishment ignorance and prejudice.
Unrelated to this, thank you for making this thread and posting both these beautiful pieces of visual art as well as your thoughts on the topic. I haven't visited a museum or gallery in a good while, but you've reminded me of why I used to enjoy that.
Thank you for your interest! Real art is such an amazing thing, I don't understand how so many people can live their whole lives without ever bothering to go out and experience it for themselves. And in most instances, it's free, or very inexpensive to do. I love visual art, but there are lots of plays, dance exhibitions, concerts, poetry 'slams', films and so on created by real artists that can provide us with that amazingly unique art experience, in most larger towns and cities.

Last edited: