• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This Has To Be A Joke: Unfortunately It Is Not.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Can you quote one of Cruz’s “unethical” statements?
Actions speak louder than words. His and Hawley's actions make the point eloquently enough, as I have already explained, in several posts.

I see the Houston Chronicle (that hotbed of far-left Antifa liberalism :D) has called for him to resign as a senator. That feels about right to me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Can you quote one of Cruz’s “unethical” statements?
This is about Cruz specifically now? Your statement I responded to was general:

"There are protections for political beliefs, and someone should not lose their law license for vocalizing their political opinions."

There are pretty much only two ways a lawyer can have their license taken away against their wishes:

- they don't pay their license renewal fees (which isn't the situation we're talking about).
- their licensing review board determines - usually through some sort of hearing - that the lawyer has committed serious or repeated breaches of their professional conduct rules, code of ethics, etc.

... so when a lawyer has their license taken away for something they said or did, we're necessarily talking about a case where a review board determined the lawyer did something seriously unethical.

Now... as for Cruz specifically, he might not get in trouble.

The Texas Professional Disciplinary Code for lawyers does specifically say that a lawyer must not make false, misleading or deceptive statements.

I had a look at his Twitter feed and a few quotes in various articles... and I never found any where he comes out and directly says that he believes any significant voter fraud occurred. He's always careful when he phrases his statements: he'll always only ever point out that there are other people who believe this.

... so I'm not sure if he made any actual false statements. Misleading or deceptive, though? I think he's certainly done that. He's been careful to create the impression that he believes the election was won by fraud.

Still, whether a disciplinary board in Texas would see it the same way is an open question, IMO.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Actions speak louder than words. His and Hawley's actions make the point eloquently enough, as I have already explained, in several posts.

I see the Houston Chronicle (that hotbed of far-left Antifa liberalism :D) has called for him to resign as a senator. That feels about right to me.
Ok. So your answer to my question is no. Got it.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Ok. So your answer to my question is no. Got it.
Well if you insist, how about this?:

"It is time to end voter fraud. It is time to expose voter fraud,” said a fired-up Cruz on Saturday. “It is time to take anyone who was involved in voter fraud and prosecute them and put them in jail.”
From: Ted Cruz Draws a Line in the Sand on Those Who Commit Voter Fraud

He said this in Georgia on 21stDec., by which time there had already been 2 recounts, not to mention a string of failed legal challenges in various states, and William Barr for the Justice Dept. had confirmed there was no evidence of any fraud. So Cruz knew damned well there was no voter fraud and there was no excuse for him to claim otherwise, especially not in front of a crowd of people looking for an excuse not to believe the election results.

So here is a US senator and lawyer deliberately propagating an obvious falsehood that undermines faith in American democracy.

As a direct result of such lies being put about, the Capitol has been broken into, 5 people are dead and the whole country has been put on alert for the madmen who have been encouraged to believe this stuff. Nice work, for a legislator and lawyer who has sworn to uphold the Constitution.

Last edited: