• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This can't be a real persons beliefs...can it?

Circle_One

I googled Origins of Broom Jumping and I found this:

Jumping the Broom History
An African American Tradition This is a ceremony dating back to the 1600s and derived from Africa. Dating back to slave days, jumping the broom together has been part of weddings for couples who want to honor that tradition. Some couples choose to incorporate it into traditional and non-traditional ceremonies.

Oh! Found a Wiki article on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_broom

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
The " fying ointment " is very accurate . Well , there is such a thing , but I can't say how many " Witches " actually used it . It is not something to play around with though , as the main active ingredient is Water Hemlock . { highly toxic , and there is NOT antidote } .

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Odd, because I've also heard that the origin comes from Pictish roots. I'm honestly not sure which is witch. (Yes, I'm a horribly, naughty punner!)

While I disliked the "Wife Swap" episode that had the woman who demonstrated it,
I did like that she used the broom as something physical for herself to hold onto while doing astral projection. I imagine that its power would be with the intent with which it was used.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
There was also folflore which claimed that a broom placed beside a door would protect the home from " evil spirits " entering . Later that included " witches ". I believe that came from somewhere in Europe ???

It has been a long time since I have been into this type of thing , but as the Christian church gained power in Europe , much of the old folklore got twisted ... as I'm sure you all know .

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Here is a link to Wikipedia's page on ointments ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_ointment

And I am quite happy that THIS page corrects another page about using the ointment on " mucous membranes ", as that just didn't sound ... right when I read it on another Wikipedia page . The chemicals are absorded quite easly through the pores in one's hands and feet , which is likely a much safer way to apply it .

Circle_One

For another thing on brooms: There are also rituals done at Midnight of the first night of the new year which include sweeping all the doorways that lead to the outside of the house, sweeping from inside to out, in order to sweep away all ills that had gathered over the previous year and being able to cleanse and purifying your home in order to start with a clean slate in the coming year.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Circle_One said:
For another thing on brooms: There are also rituals done at Midnight of the first night of the new year which include sweeping all the doorways that lead to the outside of the house, sweeping from inside to out, in order to sweep away all ills that had gathered over the previous year and being able to cleanse and purifying your home in order to start with a clean slate in the coming year.

That's very true. For myself, I use a piece of wood from the same branch as my 'power staff', and have made a ritual broom with it. I find it also helps with any spiritual cleansing, and to form a more meditative state while working. (But then again, I might just be emulating 'the Sweeper' from the Discworld books, hehee!)

Mike182

Flaming Queer
FeathersinHair said:
That's very true. For myself, I use a piece of wood from the same branch as my 'power staff', and have made a ritual broom with it. I find it also helps with any spiritual cleansing, and to form a more meditative state while working. (But then again, I might just be emulating 'the Sweeper' from the Discworld books, hehee!)

is he the monk who gives Vimes his cigar tin back, in night Watch? if so, cool!