• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This can't be a real persons beliefs...can it?

Circle_One

No problem Becky! Believe me, I understand how a lot of our beliefs or mythology or history can seem extremely unimaginable and fanciful, so I'm glad I could help. Pagan mythology can be hard to decipher and comprehend and differentiate between actual belief and rumor, so I understand :)

Bishka

Veteran Member
Circle_One said:
No problem Becky! Believe me, I understand how a lot of our beliefs or mythology or history can seem extremely unimaginable and fanciful, so I'm glad I could help. Pagan mythology can be hard to decipher and comprehend and differentiate between actual belief and rumor, so I understand :)

Cool, cool. So a random question, where did the belief in faeries come from? What culture?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
beckysoup61 said:
Cool, cool. So a random question, where did the belief in faeries come from? What culture?

They're actually pretty common in a lot of cultures! I wonder if we'd be able to pinpoint where it began, though. *mulls this over*

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
MaddLlama said:
:hug: Why apologize? You didn't do anything wrong or offend me. :p

I was worried I had! I have a bad tendency to jump in and try to be a peacemaker (in this case, by saying that others may have read the link) when there isn't any actual issue. And then, to top it off, I see issues that aren't there about issues that aren't there! (Like I'd worried I'd offended you. :eek: )

Completely off topic, but I don't know if I've told you that I love your avvie! Is that Chobits?

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
FeathersinHair said:
I was worried I had! I have a bad tendency to jump in and try to be a peacemaker (in this case, by saying that others may have read the link) when there isn't any actual issue. And then, to top it off, I see issues that aren't there about issues that aren't there! (Like I'd worried I'd offended you. :eek: )

Well, I have my own tendency to be blunt and opinionated. I have a thick skin though, so no worries. I <3 everyone.

Completely off topic, but I don't know if I've told you that I love your avvie! Is that Chobits?

Yes, Chobits is teh awesome! Chii is so cute.
And, also I keep forgetting to compliment uoir avvie. One of the best pictures of Bellandy I think. =)

ChrisP

Veteran Member
FeathersinHair said:
Awwwwwwww Feathers ;) We lubs ya.

A Chobit? Is that some kind of hobbit Pokemon? Not that all Pokemon aren't hobbity.... but this one must look lik a hairy baby chimp!

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
ChrisP said:
Awwwwwwww Feathers ;) We lubs ya.

A Chobit? Is that some kind of hobbit Pokemon? Not that all Pokemon aren't hobbity.... but this one must look lik a hairy baby chimp!

Not really. It's a computer with a soul, actually. Kind of had to explain if you've never seen the series. But, you should, because it's great, and sometimes a little dirty. lol I know how men like that stuff.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
MaddLlama said:
Well, I have my own tendency to be blunt and opinionated. I have a thick skin though, so no worries. I <3 everyone.

Hehee, that's an attribute I sometimes wish I shared! (Things would go a lot more smoothly for me if I could get up the courage to tell people what I think!)

Yes, Chobits is teh awesome! Chii is so cute.
And, also I keep forgetting to compliment uoir avvie. One of the best pictures of Bellandy I think. =)

Awww, thanks! Sometimes I wish that I could find one that'd be a bit bigger, to show off her wings more, but I don't think I've changed my avvie since I started, so I probably shouldn't break with tradition, hehee!

ChrisP said:

That would be the cutest thing ever! Worlds could be conquered by the sheer cuteness!

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Circle_One said:
I'm not big on the flying broomstick myth, though brooms are often used in rituals to sweep a sacred circle before casting a spell, to cleanse the circle and purify it.

:) I have never heard of any Witch who has actually flown a broom . { but there are many things I have never heard of ... } Personally I believe that comes from Christain misunderstanding of what the Broom was .

Solomon's Set Michel ? Or Solomon's Key ? { sometimes called Solomon's Seal , The Seal of Solomon , The Key of Solomon ... although " Seal " usually refers to a ring } . The Key of Solomon is said to have been written by King Solomon hisself . And is the bases to much of today's " summoning " arts . There is also " The Lesser Key of Solomon " that was written later , but deals with much the same thing . ) I have read parts of one , I believe that was the Lesser Key ??? It was quite some time ago :) }. If it was The Key , no wonder it freaked your mother out ... :) It rates right up there with the Kabbalah .

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
kreeden said:
:) I have never heard of any Witch who has actually flown a broom . { but there are many things I have never heard of ... } Personally I believe that comes from Christain misunderstanding of what the Broom was .

Well, the site also doesn't say anything about actually flying on a broom, but rather that the "fying ointment" they used was a hallucinatory drug that gave them the feeling of flight. I don't know how accurate it is, but it's possible.
It also likely comes from misinterpreting the ritual where a person jumps over a broom.

Circle_One

MaddLlama said:
Well, the site also doesn't say anything about actually flying on a broom, but rather that the "fying ointment" they used was a hallucinatory drug that gave them the feeling of flight. I don't know how accurate it is, but it's possible.
It also likely comes from misinterpreting the ritual where a person jumps over a broom.

I've heard of that before. I think there may be something like that in my BOS. I'll have to check and get back to you. But in any case, that sounds like the most plausible and possible explanation for it. The myth that they actually flew on broomsticks is simply misconstrued information, I think.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Circle_One said:
I've heard of that before. I think there may be something like that in my BOS. I'll have to check and get back to you. But in any case, that sounds like the most plausible and possible explanation for it. The myth that they actually flew on broomsticks is simply misconstrued information, I think.

It's likely that it's where a lot of the superstitions against witches come from. After all, a pagan farmer would have looked pretty peculiar to the Christian town-dweller in those days.
Do you happen to have any idea where the jumping over the broom tradition comes from? I've heard both Africa and Celtic Europe.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Please. Who in this day and age would believe the bit about flying on brooms? We all know that with vacuums and those nifty Swiffers the broom is outdated. The 8lb Oreck is light and quick, while the Swiffer is just sleek, especially the new combo one that vacuums as well. ;)

Crystal Red

Episkopos Crystal Red
I thought I'd take a few quotes from this site to show its implausability.
  • the first requisite is a tuft of hair taken from the head of a hyena
  • Taking good Mercury, fixed and well purified
  • You make the baton of the Art from Hazel wood that has never borne fruit, and cut it with a single stroke on the day and in the hour of Mercury, at the Crescent Moon
  • These ingredients are dangerous, and can even kill you. So do not decide to make the ointment yourself
  • just find a spherical, yolk-less egg, laid during the days of Sirius, the Dog Star, by a 7-year-old rooster. Put the egg on a bed of dung, and find a fat black toad to warm and hatch it
  • The toughest part would be finding a rooster who would conform to your wishes
  • Take an unspotted egg; expose it to the meridian rays of the sun; then select the blackest hen you can meet with; if it have any coloured feathers, pluck them
& my favourite one...

• Any information given on this website is intended to be taken as a historical essay, for entertainment value only

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Draka said:
Please. Who in this day and age would believe the bit about flying on brooms? We all know that with vacuums and those nifty Swiffers the broom is outdated. The 8lb Oreck is light and quick, while the Swiffer is just sleek, especially the new combo one that vacuums as well. ;)

I prefer the Swiffer Sweep & Vac myself. Very good for flying.

Circle_One

MaddLlama said:
It's likely that it's where a lot of the superstitions against witches come from. After all, a pagan farmer would have looked pretty peculiar to the Christian town-dweller in those days.
Do you happen to have any idea where the jumping over the broom tradition comes from? I've heard both Africa and Celtic Europe.

I'm not positive where it originates, but I've read from Africa as well, and from the British Isles, especially Scotland.

It's believed that broom jumping was brought to the states by African slaves. Slaves were not allowed to marry at will so they would have a slave elder perform a ritual (like handfasting) and the couple would jump the broom as an end to the ceremony.