• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thirumanthiram

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In Saiva Siddhantha, this is THE book. Many have never heard of it. Full of lofty talk of Siva, it contains over 3000 verses in Tamil. Its author. Tirumoolar, is renowned amongst the Tamil Siddhars. Said to have come from the Himalayas, and not knowing Tamil, he took over the body of a cowherd. It reads somewhat like the Upanishads

Here's a sampling ... Verse 2807
"He is the Light Cosmic,
He is the Light Beyond.
He is the Light that mingles in the Light within,
In the spreading light of space,
That swallows Immensity vast,
My body-light merged:
Shattering Existence's landmarks, all."

Taken from the Ramakrishna Mission translation, published 1991

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Sometimes I get ... from other Hindus, or curious westerners. "So your book is the Gita?"
When I mention the Thirumanthiram, I get a dumb look. It speaks, again, to the vastness of Hinduism. Three thousand verses is no small chunk of spiritual wordage. Next year (beginning April 15, New Year, I'm going to read it again, at 9 verses a day, every day.)

https://www.amazon.ca/Tirumantiram-...01NH7OXGV/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Last edited:

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
Thank you for sharing! I didn't know Ramakrishna Mission translated that. I will have to check it out.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Thank you for sharing! I didn't know Ramakrishna Mission translated that. I will have to check it out.
I've decided that this coming year I'm going to re-read it, 9 verses a day, for the year. Of course, as you know. New Year is April 14, soon. Amazon has it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Perhaps, I should start reading Sri Rama Charit Manas, my fav book, for its poetry and similes. It is on my table, behind the computer - I can see a part of it. :)
Now Vinayaka will say that I am not an atheist.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Vinayaka ji,

Of course being Tamilian, I have heard of Thirumanthiram.

Yesterday I listened to a discourse by Suki Sivam and he spoke about Shiva.

Breath is known as 'Vaasi' (as in 'Vasi yogam' a breathing technique) and Suki Sivam says the intake of breath, as the way it is received by the naadis as in the First In First out principle is thus 'Siva' (the reverse of Vasi) and thus when we breath out, it is 'Siva'.

Just as a dancer who dances in a 30ft long stage, and moves ahead 10 ft but moves back only 5 feet will fall out of the stage at some point, so also, breath or 'Siva' is channeled out only in measures and at that rate, at some point, we all stop the process and hit the end.

Sivam says this is why Shiva is termed the 'destroyer'. He controls the breath and thus he controls the existence.

Also Sivam beautifully explained how the cosmic dance of Shiva, on the Pradosham time period, is to be understood as the spot between the brows, a certain meeting point of the nadis..... in actual tale, Shiva is said to dance between the horns of Nandi and Sivam says that is none other than the spot on the forehead between the brows.

I enjoyed his speech very much, but it is in Tamil language.

I pray to Shiva early in the mornings and I recite :

Nataraja Patthu
Kolaru Pathigam
Lingashtagam
Mrityunjaya Manthram.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
All of these TamiL books such as Thirumanthiram and other works of the 64 Nayannars & Agasthya Muni (Shaiva) , or the Divya Prabandham of the 12 ALwars (VaishNav) appear to be very detailed in their own ways
and can become a lifetime of study for some while they are a direct Divine experience and observation of the authors.
Very rich, ancient, yogic, philosophical and devotional. (I have not read them).

Not to mention the remaining vaidik, paurANik and Agamic sources.

|| Om namah: ShivAya ||
|| Om namo bhagavate vAsudevAya ||
|| om tat sat ||
upload_2021-4-1_21-10-43.png