• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thinking of going to a Durga Temple

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
[QUOTE="Aupmanyav, post: 5867798, member: 11823]. Some people will repeat the process at every step of the temple.

Well good thing that's optional because, and naybe this is just me, but I think I'd go mad if I had to do that. Makes me feel OCD just thinking about it.[/QUOTE]

There is a barrier (a psychic barrier) at the door. In older stone temples there is a step you have to step over. In agamic temples (temples designed according to the Agamas, an ancient set of scriptures pertaining to the topic) this barrier is well established, and reformed once a year by the priests in a boundary establishing ritual. It is traditional to step over this boundary, physical or not, with the right foot first. Of course not everyone will know this, and I just tell you to point out how intricate Hindu temple worship can get.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Boundary - you are stepping into God's domain. Have you left out your worldly concerns?

220px-18_steps_at_sabarimala.jpg

Pathinettampadi - Wikipedia
Sabarimala : Significance of 18 steps in the Ayyappa Swamy pilgrimage - Religion World

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
"The pilgrims participating in Pettathullal often comes in groups and chants "Ayyappa thinthakathom, Swamy thinthakathom" and dresses like tribes with their body and face smeared by colours and charcoal, along with weapons such as sarakkol (arrow) and mace made of wood. An important custom of pettathullal is that 'Kanni Ayyappas', who are the first timers to Sabarimala must participate in the thullal by holding a wooden made arrow. The thullal is accompanied by various instrumental musics such as Chenda melam, Nagaswaram, Pambamelam and mantras and hymns which is commenced from the Petta Sree Dharmasastha temple (Kochambalam) adjacent to the Vavar mosque. The pilgrims then proceeds to the Vavar mosque and are harmoniously welcomed by the Mahallu Jamaat committee members. After taking a round of the mosque, a representative of Vavar accompanies the group to the Sastha temple (Valiyambalam) which is about 0.5 km from the mosque. The thullal of Alangadu group is held afternoon. As the Ambalapuzha group expected the eagle before their thullal, the Aalangadu group expects a star to be twinkled at the sky before the sunset. The festivities windup by a circumambulation of the temple by the pilgrims. They abandon the weapons at the temple roof and take a bath at the Peeruthodu river. Both groups lights camphors at the temple and seeks the blessings of Ayyappa to continue their journey to Sabarimala."
Pettathullal - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
670 steps, Vinayaka. Good business for sellers of camphor tablets with millions of devotees. Must be quite a spectacle. :D
The temple and the crowd.
315932_177784448976863_100002359286875_364271_915678104_n.jpg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
670 steps, Vinayaka. Good business for sellers of camphor tablets with millions of devotees. Must be quite a spectacle. :D
Not that common, though. I only saw one chap doing it when we walked up. Lots of char on the steps though. It's a beautiful walk. Tradition is to go continuously without stopping, and to remain silent. An absolutely amazing place. I cannot describe it, other than to say that just as how a mystic can feel the energy as they step into a temple, at Palani that happens at about a 10 mile distance, anywhere within sight of the hill. If I had to choose just one temple to go to, this would be it.

Kapalika

Premium Member
To be honest I've not gotten over my nervousness yet. I talked with a gas station attendant who told me there is a Kali and Shiva idol there even though I couldn't identify any in the picture online. I might actually go soon as I've been making excuses ever since. I'm afraid I'll be out of place.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
To be honest I've not gotten over my nervousness yet. I talked with a gas station attendant who told me there is a Kali and Shiva idol there even though I couldn't identify any in the picture online. I might actually go soon as I've been making excuses ever since. I'm afraid I'll be out of place.
This is common. I've often wondered how many people, still afraid to go, missed out on a lifetime opportunity because of it. I'm sure at this point that for all westerners curious about Hindu temples, only maybe one in a ten goes, and than one in ten of those goes again, and even fewer become regulars. So I would suggest that if you're that afraid, than it's probably not for you. Previous programming is just too strong. maybe next lifetime. It's obviously not a very strong drive, or you'd have been there a hundred times by now. Like I said, it's common. I personally know people who have said, "One day ..." to me for about 25 years.

Best wishes.

Kapalika

Premium Member
personally know people who have said, "One day ..." to me for about 25 years.

Hey slow down it's only actually been 2 months I've even lived near it.

It's obviously not a very strong drive,

Well then I'll go here this week just to prove you wrong.

If you want me to be fully honest, there's some personal reasons I've not fully been myself since moving (that are soon getting resolved). Been hard to leave home.

But more so, I don't want to go to worship per se, I can do that at home. It's more the communal aspect of it I'm after. It's hard for me to go somewhere when I don't know anyone, the first time that is, until I know a few people there. This problem isn't exclusive to this temple and it's one I always overcome, although it's been longer than usual in this instance due to aforementioned personal reasons.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hey slow down it's only actually been 2 months I've even lived near it.

Well then I'll go here this week just to prove you wrong.

If you want me to be fully honest, there's some personal reasons I've not fully been myself since moving (that are soon getting resolved). Been hard to leave home.

But more so, I don't want to go to worship per se, I can do that at home. It's more the communal aspect of it I'm after. It's hard for me to go somewhere when I don't know anyone, the first time that is, until I know a few people there. This problem isn't exclusive to this temple and it's one I always overcome, although it's been longer than usual in this instance due to aforementioned personal reasons.

Great. Glad my words motivated you. Have a good time there.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
But more so, I don't want to go to worship per se, I can do that at home. It's more the communal aspect of it I'm after.
Except on festival days, Hindu worship is very individual rather than communal. People will visit the temple, do their thing and perhaps will not even look at other people, except for some passing interest. Only when people become regulars, then the community appears.

Last edited: