• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thinking of going to a Durga Temple

Kapalika

Premium Member
So, in the next couple of days I should be moved into my new apartment. Just three miles from where I'll live will be a Durga temple and I'm thinking of attending it as Shakta is similar to my sect of Shaivism in a few ways from what I understand and there is a large focus on goddess/Shakti worship, although I'm not really familiar with Shakta itself.

My main question is, what should I do or not do, some obvious things maybe i hadn't thought of? Yes I should go in and just ask but I just want to avoid looking *too* silly or accidentally offending them! I come from an area where the nearest Hindu Temple was over a hundred miles away and it was just one small temple. Here in this town, there are three temples! This is the one closest to me both geographically and probably in terms of beliefs.

I don't know specifically what kind of temple is is beyond a Durga temple... I'm tantric and so not really versed in what you do at a temple anyway... just looking for guidance as I want to connect more with fellow Hindus living in my area.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Temples vary a lot. If they have a website, I and others can look at to give you more information. There is a substantial difference between South Indian and North Indian style temples. Often there will be a circumambulation routine, a place to leave your shoes, and a local custom. The main thing is just to be respectful.

Good to hear.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Just go and join, even if your views are different. Hindu temples are generally geared to take care of all views, niches for various Gods and Goddesses. I may not be a Hare-Krishna, but neither they nor I would have any problem if I visit a Hare Krishna temple. Krishna is my God too.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Unfortunately no website, but there are some pictures and a phone number on google maps. So I should just go and hope I don't get nervous and suddenly forget everything? That happens sometimes when I'm flustered. I don't feel very confident the first time in totally new social situations, not that I don't like to try new stuff and meet people (which I love to do). In my 5 some odd years as a Hindu I've just not had a lot of contact in person with other Hindus, let alone in a Temple.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hopefully you would meet many Hindus in your new location. Perhaps you can ask one to accompany you to the temple. Kindly print your post and if anyone gives you a question look, show the person this post - Hindu for the last five years. He/she would understand and give you a big smile and help you in the temple. Be confident. :D

Give them a phone call, so that they will know who is visiting. IMHO, Vinayaka also will suggest that.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Unfortunately no website, but there are some pictures and a phone number on google maps. So I should just go and hope I don't get nervous and suddenly forget everything? That happens sometimes when I'm flustered. I don't feel very confident the first time in totally new social situations, not that I don't like to try new stuff and meet people (which I love to do). In my 5 some odd years as a Hindu I've just not had a lot of contact in person with other Hindus, let alone in a Temple.
Like a lot of first time things that are unfamiliar, the second time is easier, and after a few visits, its natural. The first one is the toughest, sure. Probably best for people with any social anxiety to go on a down time, like a Tuesday morning. Evenings are generally busy, and if it is in the west, weekend are busy.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
So I should just go and hope I don't get nervous and suddenly forget everything?

Yes, just go. Give namaskar to the presiding deity first, when you enter, then namaskar to the other deities. If a priest is near a sanctum/shrine there may be an oil lamp he'll wave in front of the deity then offer to you to cup your hands over and bring to your eyes. Of course there is the old standby "do what others do".

My temple is south Indian, and that's all I'm personally familiar with. If the temple is north Indian, the layout will be different, there may not be separate sanctums, though I'm sure the lamp ritual is similar. Do you have a link to the pics and location? That would provide more details to give you.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Yes, just go. Give namaskar to the presiding deity first, when you enter, then namaskar to the other deities. If a priest is near a sanctum/shrine there may be an oil lamp he'll wave in front of the deity then offer to you to cup your hands over and bring to your eyes. Of course there is the old standby "do what others do".

My temple is south Indian, and that's all I'm personally familiar with. If the temple is north Indian, the layout will be different, there may not be separate sanctums, though I'm sure the lamp ritual is similar. Do you have a link to the pics and location? That would provide more details to give you.

Only way I can seem to link it, just two pictures apparently:

Google Maps

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Basically a North Indian temple. Not many visitors on normal days. Perhaps a new temple. Ganesha; Rama, Mother Sita and Lakshman; Mother Durga; Krishna and his beloved Srimati RadhaRani (when I think of Srimati RadhaRani, I never forget Mother Rukmini, Mother Jambavanti, etc. They were his legally wedded wives). I cannot identify the Goddess in the last niche.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Only way I can seem to link it, just two pictures apparently:

Google Maps

Yep, I can see it. It definitely looks like what I know of northern style. Very pretty. Definitely go. They usually have the deities arranged on a “stage”. Southern temples have free-standing sanctums and shrines in the main temple.

5531A9C6-656E-4CC4-A603-27F7985A1280.jpeg 26D0B02E-8CF6-4D21-9151-D4D1A5062D69.jpeg

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
North Indian style ... there likely will be a bell hanging from the roof somewhere near the door. Reach up with your right hand and ring it as you enter. Then just go straight to the center, and kneel, face down, in front of Sri Durga, the center deity. The box will have a slot in it for donations. It is customary to at least put a coin in. Then you are free to choose a spot to sit. People will often choose to sit in the imaginary space straight out from their ishta. After sitting for a bit, you can leave. If there is a priest present, go to where he is, and he'll give you prasadam in the form of water, and some dries fruit and nuts, and or fresh fruit.

Generally you prostrate again before exiting.

(This has been my most common experience, but it may not happen this way either.)

Enjoy.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
People will often choose to sit in the imaginary space straight out from their ishta. After sitting for a bit, you can leave. .. Generally you prostrate again before exiting.
True, but in a way that your back is not towards any deity. Whatever be your chosen deity (Ishta), but others too are Gods/Goddesses, and one has to show respect to them. Many people might not prostrate themselves, but a respectful bow with folded hands is necessary. While exiting the temple also we try not to show our backs to the deities, and at the door, generally a Hindu will touch the floor and bring his hand to his forehead before going in or coming out. That is to say 'Hi' or 'Bye' to the deities. (Hope what I write if OK and has the approval of other members of the forum)

Shantanu

True, but in a way that your back is not towards any deity. Whatever be your chosen deity (Ishta), but others too are Gods/Goddesses, and one has to show respect to them. Many people might not prostrate themselves, but a respectful bow with folded hands is necessary. While exiting the temple also we try not to show our backs to the deities, and at the door, generally a Hindu will touch the floor and bring his hand to his forehead before going in or coming out. That is to say 'Hi' or 'Bye' to the deities. (Hope what I write if OK and has the approval of other members of the forum)
You are absolutely right. One should never go and see a deity unless one is satisfied that the deity has the welfare of the devotee at heart. One must pay devotional references every time something good happens in the devotee's life. The temple is not the only place that this is to be done. One should know that the deity like Druga is the female incarnation of God and resides in the mind of the devotee in surrender. So darshan is a full-time occupation.

Whatever the deity does and whatever ones fate, one should not accept it as God's wish for the devotee. That means prapatti is erroneous. It does not provides satisfaction with ones life. One should not leave ones fate in Durga's hands because God does not distinguish between good and evil. Only we humans do, so we need to take care of evil ourselves.

More important than survival for me is to be at the feet of my Lord Sri Krishna otherwise known to me as Durga to constitute the male and female aspects of God for mankind.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, there are many little intricacies that one picks up as he/she gets accustomed to temple worship, and indeed each temple, in that they are all slightly different. It takes some time.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member

There are a number of people who can’t or don’t prostrate. I’m one of them. With my back and knee I’d never get up. I need to push myself up. I fear falling.

Anyway...

Yes, respectful bows and namaskars. To all deities. There are a number of shrines for Devi in her forms, and Vishnu in his forms. I go to all of them, as do most people, even though it’s technically redundant. For example Sri Venkateshwara and Sri Satyanarayana Swami sanctums are right next to each other. They are both Vishnu. And then there is Srinivasa. So I say hello to him a couple of times. He’s probably thinking “oh, it’s you again”. :D

Shantanu

There are a number of people who can’t or don’t prostrate. I’m one of them. With my back and knee I’d never get up. I need to push myself up. I fear falling.

Anyway...

Yes, respectful bows and namaskars. To all deities. There are a number of shrines for Devi in her forms, and Vishnu in his forms. I go to all of them, as do most people, even though it’s technically redundant. For example Sri Venkateshwara and Sri Satyanarayana Swami sanctums are right next to each other. They are both Vishnu. And then there is Srinivasa. So I say hello to him a couple of times. He’s probably thinking “oh, it’s you again”. :D
There are no rules on prostration. It is up to the individual devotee and what he or she expects from his or her chosen deity. It also depends on what kind of day the devotee has had unless homage is being paid mechanicaly as a chore with no feelings of why the deity deserves such reverence.

Kapalika

Premium Member
Hi again. I've not went yet, was nervous and other things were going on. I plan to go early next week.

And I got a serious follow up question... I shouldn't have my back to the deities.. I said something about this to someone in real life, joking I should walk backwards outside of the temple and they said yes that's what you actually do. This wasn't a Hindu but someone who said they were kinda familiar with temples.

Is this true?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
This is a problem when the entrance/exist faces the deity in any temple. So, when I have such a situation, I walk a little side-ways and not directly turning my back to the deity. Of course, I touch the floor and then touch my forehead with the hand when I am on the steps of the temple. Some people will repeat the process at every step of the temple. See at 3.25 minutes. Don't worry about the commentary, it is because of local politics.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Hi again. I've not went yet, was nervous and other things were going on. I plan to go early next week.

And I got a serious follow up question... I shouldn't have my back to the deities.. I said something about this to someone in real life, joking I should walk backwards outside of the temple and they said yes that's what you actually do. This wasn't a Hindu but someone who said they were kinda familiar with temples.

Is this true?

Many people do back out of the main shrine areas, yes. Many also don't. It also varies on just how the shrines are set up within the temple. Some may not even have a main entrance, for example. The entrance may be a side door.
For whatever it's worth, whenever it works, I back out of a shrine/temple.

Last edited:

Kapalika

Premium Member
[QUOTE="Aupmanyav, post: 5867798, member: 11823]. Some people will repeat the process at every step of the temple.[/QUOTE]

Well good thing that's optional because, and naybe this is just me, but I think I'd go mad if I had to do that. Makes me feel OCD just thinking about it.