• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thinking of giving Islam another go...

IdiNaPut

Ako možete čitati ovo, govorite hrvatski.
I was clearing out my bookshelf a couple of weeks ago when I came across an Arabic/English Quran translation I was given some time ago. I'd actually forgotten I still had it, but there it was on my shelf.

Now for the most part my interest in Islam has never really died away or gone from me totally, and it seems that in the past when I've tried to turn away, ignore or actively get rid of said interest in Islam, all that seems to happen is that it comes back even stronger than before. It's almost a game of tug-of-war where the harder I pull away, the more I'm pulled back.

I'm wondering though if I have in the past dismissed Islam as a religious path for trivial reasons or been too hasty to say Islam is not right for me for whatever reason. At the same time, I do not want to go down that path of getting really enthusiastic about something only to find I fall away after the initial sparkle has died away.

Should I try Islam again?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I was clearing out my bookshelf a couple of weeks ago when I came across an Arabic/English Quran translation I was given some time ago. I'd actually forgotten I still had it, but there it was on my shelf.

Now for the most part my interest in Islam has never really died away or gone from me totally, and it seems that in the past when I've tried to turn away, ignore or actively get rid of said interest in Islam, all that seems to happen is that it comes back even stronger than before. It's almost a game of tug-of-war where the harder I pull away, the more I'm pulled back.

I'm wondering though if I have in the past dismissed Islam as a religious path for trivial reasons or been too hasty to say Islam is not right for me for whatever reason. At the same time, I do not want to go down that path of getting really enthusiastic about something only to find I fall away after the initial sparkle has died away.

My first advice after wondering what lead you astray is to pray. Have you tried learning how to do muslim prayers? Maybe the posturing and prayers (probably in your native language first) will speak to you.

Id ask yourself: Do you want your life depended on the views of Islam? Are you willing to change what you hold of value to conform to your religion of interest? Is Islam an interest or do you want to make it your life?

Id start slow. You dont need to learn Arabic right away. Do you have a Mosque near by? Go there doing non prayer times and talk with the head Muslim (I dont know the formal name).

Trying something new will be scary at first. Id think of how you are appraching this: for study? By interest? By how it looks? Or do you want it to be your life?

One thing though: Take peoples' advise second. Take god and the quran first.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind

Follow your heart and don't follow people's opinion, many of them will mislead you.

No need to pray, try to memorize Al-fatiha and listen to it daily.
Good luck.:)

Smart_Guy

Premium Member

Hmm... this specific part could mean something significant.

Give it another chance, it won't hurt :)

IdiNaPut

You should ask God to guide you ... if you believe in God.

I do believe in God, and I will!

@Kirran: usually minor stupid things, like 'well I can't imagine praying all those times' or 'well I don't think I could stop doing 'X' thing that's not allowed in Islam.'

IdiNaPut

My first advice after wondering what lead you astray is to pray. Have you tried learning how to do muslim prayers? Maybe the posturing and prayers (probably in your native language first) will speak to you.

Id ask yourself: Do you want your life depended on the views of Islam? Are you willing to change what you hold of value to conform to your religion of interest? Is Islam an interest or do you want to make it your life?

Id start slow. You dont need to learn Arabic right away. Do you have a Mosque near by? Go there doing non prayer times and talk with the head Muslim (I dont know the formal name).

Trying something new will be scary at first. Id think of how you are appraching this: for study? By interest? By how it looks? Or do you want it to be your life?

One thing though: Take peoples' advise second. Take god and the quran first.

I know how to pray the salat, and I've begun praying again. :)

I'm also very much aware that Islam, much like my consideration of Judaism before, is an entire lifestyle and it's not just saying some funny words every now and again or something. This is something that does not particularly bother me, and if anything I would welcome it, as I like structure and formality.

I used to go to a mosque in the next town over, so I might have to see about getting involved again with this. I think the term you're looking for is 'imam' too. :)

@DavidMcCann : Islam also gave the world Avicenna and Averroes. People are people, and there'll always be those who use religious or other beliefs (such as political ones) for their own purposes. People are fallible.

Plus I would be hesitant to boil down complex geopolitics down to a single factor or event. Religion is, in these situations, one factor in many.

IdiNaPut

Follow your heart and don't follow people's opinion, many of them will mislead you.

No need to pray, try to memorize Al-fatiha and listen to it daily.
Good luck.:)

Downloaded Al Fatihah to my phone, and I've got it memorised (even if my Arabic is appallingly bad). :)

Hmm... this specific part could mean something significant.

Give it another chance, it won't hurt :)

I've always been skeptical of those people who claim to be led to a religion by signs and dreams. Yet in my case, I've had both (I had a weird dream about the Quran some time ago which some people with which I've discussed it take to be of significance in its own right).

Pastek

Sunni muslim
I do believe in God, and I will!

@Kirran: usually minor stupid things, like 'well I can't imagine praying all those times' or 'well I don't think I could stop doing 'X' thing that's not allowed in Islam.'

The most important think is as you believe in God is to try to do your best and wait until He guides you.

Prayer is not easy, as said in the Quran :

2.45-46 Seek help in patience and prayer; and truly it is hard save for the humble-minded, Who know that they will have to meet their Lord, and that unto Him they are returning.

I prayed and stopped for a long time in the beginning, it was even difficult to start to pray (while it only takes few minutes) , everyday i was saying "tomorrow, i start" ... and it tooks me years.
Same for many of my muslim friends or my family.
But this is just a question of determination and then it becomes a habit that you won't nor can't leave after doing it for a while. If you start then stop then start again, just don't give up, that's normal.

Same for the Ramadhan, you try to do what you can little by little until you can do it all (if you think about trying to do it) .
For many muslims it's like that, we started with some days during the week end, then we tried to do it even at school, then when we work.
It may seem difficult for people but again just a question of faith and habit.

Not praying like not doing the fast of Ramadhan doesn't put you out of Islam, it's just mean your faith is not complete and God may ask you why you didn't fulifilled His commands.

I think you should pray first to God (the way you want, as you're not a muslim pray like you do in general, it's ok), you read the Quran again and see what you feel/believe about it , make some searches about the Prophets and Islam History in general, then ask questions to the Imam if there's things you don't understand or dislike.
You can eventually assist to some prayers to hear sermons, that may help.

I suggest you the youtube chanel youtube or web site "Deen Show", it can help to understand some basic stuffs about Islam.

Then only you can have the answer if it's a religion for you or not.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Well, do you want to give up thinking for yourself? Do you want to accept as the word of God a book with more errors of fact than a popular newspaper?

If I sound a bit scathing, it's because I find the idea of converting to a religion that produced Al Qaida, Daesh, and Boko Haram incomprehensible.
That was more than a bit rude and unwarranted. Should I look down on Greco-Roman religion because the Spartans were proto-fascists and eugenicists and pre-Christian Rome committed cultural genocide, worshiped tyrants as deities and promoted atrocities like bloodsports and the gladiatorial games?

Stones and glass houses, and we're all living in a glass house.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
That was more than a bit rude and unwarranted. Should I look down on Greco-Roman religion because the Spartans were proto-fascists and eugenicists and pre-Christian Rome committed cultural genocide, worshiped tyrants as deities and promoted atrocities like bloodsports and the gladiatorial games?

Stones and glass houses, and we're all living in a glass house.

But did they do those things in the name of their gods? No. Nice try, but false equivalence.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
But did they do those things in the name of their gods? No. Nice try, but false equivalence.
Well, apparently their deities didn't motivate them to behave better. But it's okay. Everyone wants to pretend that they're better. Humans are such a sad little species.

But it's seriously rude to come into a thread like this and bash a religion that someone's interested in.

Last edited:

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Well, apparently their deities didn't motivate them to behave better.

And just because those who worshipped the Olympians in aeons past weren't paragons of virtue means people who worship them now can't point out that other religions aren't perfect; even if they claim to be? You're in no position to criticise; you've been pretty anti-Islamic in the past yourself. Where do you get off telling other people to stop? Further, someone needs to be the dissenting opinion. Just because @DavidMcCann disagrees with something doesn't mean he needs to keep quiet. This isn't a place for sycophants.

But it's okay. Everyone wants to pretend that they're better. Humans are such a sad little species.

In regards to intellectual freedom and self-criticism, Greek Paganism actually does have a better track record than Islam.

But it's seriously rude to come into a thread like this and bash a religion that someone's interested in.

Who's bashing? Lack of self-criticism and independent thought are major problems for Islam (which translates as 'submission'), particularly in regard to the nature of scripture. Muslims aren't allowed to view the Quran as anything other than perfect, even in spite of all the evidence that it's not.

Take a look at paarsurrey's "There are no mistakes in Quran" thread as an example.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
And just because those who worshipped the Olympians in aeons past weren't paragons of virtue means people who worship them now can't point out that other religions aren't perfect; even if they claim to be? You're in no position to criticise; you've been pretty anti-Islamic in the past yourself. Where do you get off telling other people to stop? Further, someone needs to be the dissenting opinion. Just because @DavidMcCann disagrees with something doesn't mean he needs to keep quiet. This isn't a place for sycophants.

In regards to intellectual freedom and self-criticism, Greek Paganism actually does have a better track record than Islam.

Who's bashing? Lack of self-criticism and independent thought are major problems for Islam (which translates as 'submission'), particularly in regard to the nature of scripture. Muslims aren't allowed to view the Quran as anything other than perfect, even in spite of all the evidence that it's not.

Take a look at paarsurrey's "There are no mistakes in Quran" thread as an example.
I'm saying that this thread isn't really the place for it. It's more a matter of not being an *******.

shmogie

NO ! Have you read the hadith ? That will give you a clear view of the founding and founder of this "alleged" Religion. It would be "right" for you if you could support pedophilia, the subjigation of one half of the population by the other half, violence against non believers, the lack of any concept of free will etc., etc. The experience of the Sikh's with Islam is a perfect representation of what would be and is the experience of adherents of other belief systems with Islam. The only difference is that Sikh's were allowed to be boiled or brutally tortured, Christians and Jews only get their heads lopped off. It is what it is, and the Hadith is a great commentary on what the Koran means

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason

Question.

Is it possible this is due to childhood indoctrination?