• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thinking about Satanism, not sure...

factotum

I've considered Satanism for a while now, but I don't know if it's really the right religion for me. So, if you have any thoughts or advice about that, I'd appreciate them. Thanks.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Satanism, or the LHP path in generally, is said to not be something you choose but something that chooses you. In my experience, I could sum it up as saying that with the way I view the world, the LHP called out to me, and this calling I could not deny it, I could not resist it, I could not drown it out, but I did not want to.

jasonwill2

I've considered Satanism for a while now, but I don't know if it's really the right religion for me. So, if you have any thoughts or advice about that, I'd appreciate them. Thanks.

Satanism is, for most people, just something that you will find comes naturally to you if the path is for you.

But there are many things you should consider, many things to study before you do anything major like try to renounce old gods or dedicate yourself, and a lot of harmful information out there to new Satanists.

This is probably the best site for new Satanists, as well this specific page is for if you are thinking of joining Satanism (though it's mostly a list of recommended articles of hers:

For new Satanists

this other one is more prose though:

For those new to Satanism

Specifically she says:

Note, however, that I do not recommend performing ANY ritual, including my suggested self-initiation ritual, until after you've studied a variety of different forms of Satanism plus some other relevant background info including the basics of ritual magick, the history of religion, and psychology (especially hypnosis).
Also this page might be important to avoid certain groups if groups are your thing (its not for a lot of people):

Avoiding harmful religious groups ("cults") in the Satanist scene

[SIZE=+1]The dangers
[/SIZE]Most forms of Satanism pay at least lip service to the idea that we Satanists should think for ourselves and not conform blindly to any herd. Nevertheless, the Satanist scene has its share of sheep - and plenty of shepherds and would-be shepherds out to fleece them. Alas, there do exist quite a few groups in the Satanist scene that appear to be run by would-be cult leaders looking for blindly obedient followers.
Some groups can be downright dangerous to their own members, in one way or another - especially to those who join and then decide, later, to start thinking for themselves.

Obviously, the most dangerous groups are those which practice or advocate violent criminal activity in the name of Satan (or any other god). Although not as commonplace as is popularly believed, such groups have indeed existed from time to time, mainly amongst teenagers. And they are far more dangerous to their own members than they are to anyone else, judging by the track record of the Norwegian "Black Metal Circle" and the Italian "Beasts of Satan." In both these groups, at least one member was murdered by at least one other member.

But the more law-abiding groups can be dangerous too, in other ways. For example, quite a few groups will ask prospective members lots of nosy personal questions in the membership application. Some groups - even some otherwise reputable groups - have been known to use that information against ex-members who voiced public disagreement with the group later on.

Still other groups can be dangerous to one's mental health, using meditation and visualization techniques to blur the distinction between fantasy and reality. (Meditation and visualization do have valid uses too; indeed they are vital to the practices of all occult groups that I'm aware of. But, in my opinion, they should be approached carefully and systematically, with an awareness of the psychology involved.)
Also I should probably ask because it's important... as I come from this and it's very important you deal with some stuff before going to Satanism... but are you currently or in the past have you been in any "heavy" form of Satanism? I came from a baptist religious indoctrination and later was surrounded with Pentecostals and it has only gotten in the way of my path because I ignored my anger from it so much.

Also these sources might help some too:

SpiritualSatanist.com - Venus Satanas - Homepage (kind of hallow after you get past all her stuff but is useful to beginners in orienting themselves sometimes, she also under the same name [Venus Satanas] has a crapton of videos on youtube)

Temple of Theistic Satanism - A Satanic Temple – Dedicated to serving the community, rather than controlling it! (I have talked to the owner of the site online a number of times via facebook)

Also in this facebook group there is a lot of help I have found, it's technically run by Diane Vera, but is in practice is kept in check by the two mods. There are a number of Satanists in there and I sometimes pop my head in.

I can think of other theistic groups, but most that come to mind are very dangerous and pressure people to jump in before they can come to a sound intellectual decision. As well I strongly advise this and say this from experience but do not, DO NOT unless you are 200% sure you are ready EVER Renounce any type of salvation or dedicate FOR LIFE OR BEYOND your soul UNLESS you are absolutely ready and sure YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK ON THOSE WORDS, as it can SCREW WITH YOUR HEAD SEVERELY.

As well, Wikipedia seems to have a good overview of Theistic Satanism:

Theistic Satanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (values in Theistic Satanism)

Theistic Satanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (diversity in view points)

Last edited:

factotum

Satanism is, for most people, just something that you will find comes naturally to you if the path is for you.

But there are many things you should consider, many things to study before you do anything major like try to renounce old gods or dedicate yourself, and a lot of harmful information out there to new Satanists.

This is probably the best site for new Satanists, as well this specific page is for if you are thinking of joining Satanism (though it's mostly a list of recommended articles of hers:

this other one is more prose though:

Specifically she says:

Also this page might be important to avoid certain groups if groups are your thing (its not for a lot of people):

Also I should probably ask because it's important... as I come from this and it's very important you deal with some stuff before going to Satanism... but are you currently or in the past have you been in any "heavy" form of Satanism? I came from a baptist religious indoctrination and later was surrounded with Pentecostals and it has only gotten in the way of my path because I ignored my anger from it so much.

Also these sources might help some too:

Also in this facebook group there is a lot of help I have found, it's technically run by Diane Vera, but is in practice is kept in check by the two mods. There are a number of Satanists in there and I sometimes pop my head in.

I can think of other theistic groups, but most that come to mind are very dangerous and pressure people to jump in before they can come to a sound intellectual decision. As well I strongly advise this and say this from experience but do not, DO NOT unless you are 200% sure you are ready EVER Renounce any type of salvation or dedicate FOR LIFE OR BEYOND your soul UNLESS you are absolutely ready and sure YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK ON THOSE WORDS, as it can SCREW WITH YOUR HEAD SEVERELY.
Thanks for providing those links. I had to delete them in this reply because I'm not allowed to post links yet, but I'll check them out. Thanks also for the advice about being very careful about renouncing one's salvation. I don't believe I've ever been involved in any "heavy" Satanism.

jasonwill2

Thanks for providing those links. I had to delete them in this reply because I'm not allowed to post links yet, but I'll check them out. Thanks also for the advice about being very careful about renouncing one's salvation. I don't believe I've ever been involved in any "heavy" Satanism.

Well good luck then, just don't feel pressured to join any group (many have their own ideas that might go counter to what you would think otherwise on your own). There is nothing wrong with practicing alone.

Also, I learned this the hard way too, but don't go telling all your friends and family lol. Theistic Satanism is great, accepting, and inclusive religion if you know to ignore the few bad apples of groups in it, but your more likely to only see them online. Sometimes I go to their sites or read their books to see what Magick or meditation ideas I can get from them, because I know I already have my own beliefs and do not feel like theirs will effect me when sorting through it all, but when I was new I almost got caught up in some crazy one until I realized they were just mostly silly (but there meditations are still really good).

Oh, and one last thing, don't feel afraid to mix traditions or ideas, or to be eclectic. Satan values independent thought. :) Do what feels right, and what makes the most sense to you.

Exordius

As a priest of Satan and a registered minister i can say that Satanism is indeed a great religion... IF it is right for you. As with all things some might not be good for one individual while another may find such things as eminently palatable. Usually one is born a Satanist but that does not mean that every one who worships the devil was preordained for his dark kingdom. Think long and hard before you choose... your allegiance is yours to give only once.