• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

THINKERS vs MEDITATORS

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

Having found that religion is a path or way to still the mind and those who have stilled their minds are MEDITATORS and so the rest are THINKERS.

Your view/s ??

Love & rgds

elmarna

Meditation is clearing your mind and "listening".
It is letting that outside being able to be received, the vibrations and energy translated by the body from the effect of outside forces.
"Thinkers" are turning inside and concentrateing on the internal workings of the self with efforts to create a better world for themselves and,or, -others.
In the process of meditation it does not leave out thinking.
Novices may even find themselves listening to thoughts they may have not considered when trying to "empty out " their mind. Thoughts that are formed in deep meditation are the "translation" that occurs and is normaly formed in a way that is far removed or foriegn in the ways of the person meditateing.
Thinkers focus on the knowledge and ways of the self and are only takeing in other ways from outside forces if they have taken it in from the material world around them and considered it wise to "remember" it.
While both avenues can be spiritual. Meditation is more metaphysical or universal.
Thinkers are physical and earthy.
Meditators want to "transcend". Thinkers are forming opinions to impress and hone a formation of feelings to produce a "fit mind".
Both are looking to improve upon. Both are able to use the mind with "focus". They are just different ways. I am not without realizeing that a "thinker" who builds a mechine to "listen" for him in a meditative state can achieve the best of both worlds; just as a meditator can be a thinker in the conscienceness!

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend elmarna,

Thanking you very much for your response.
Though you have not agreed/disagreed that humans are either in a state of thinking or meditation. Thinking goes on even in sleep and meditation alo happens in sleep.

Personal understanding is that Meditators have no room for 'improving' what is already perfect and that is the state of meditation or oneness.
If you are speaking of the process to reach that state as meditation and describing what goes through the mind, then scope for improvement could always be there. in such a situation then it is correct to state that meditation is thinking consciously; however like to caution that till even a trace of thought remains the state of meditation or oneness alludes the meditator and so not in total oneness.

Friend elarma, would you agree that it is the thinking mind that labels oneself by the path one walks towards the meditative state and not as pure humans who are born perfect in oneness with existence?

Love & rgds

Last edited:

apophenia

Meditation is not the absence of thinking.

Meditation is remaining undistracted in the natural mind.

One's nature is the unity of nirvana and samsara.

elmarna

When I am with no thought (thinking) and I am "listening" in the openess I achieve a awareness outside my source.
I do not believe it is the first time. I believe that the infant has this inate ability at birth and the mind in it's development of thought and language responds to what is to be more useful in servival.
Since dreaming is the feelings translated into personal imagry of thought I disagree that we meditate in sleep.
In my focus to center myself in inner peace and listen I have had amazing spiritual growth that came to me in the essence of life I had connected to.
. "Oneness" lacks the meaning of the self and while I can not be God or submerge my energy to loose myself I prefer to say I have a relationship like a child willing to listen and support -that which has me engaged and part of life in a good way.
My Openess to respond does not create. It is a doorway opened.
I think my friend our approach on meditation is quite different.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend apophenia,

Meditation is not the absence of thinking.
Meditation is remaining undistracted in the natural mind.
One's nature is the unity of nirvana and samsara.
Thank you for your response.
By nature mind is always ative/thinking mode.
Stilling of mind.thoughts is when the *I* or *ego* is no more and one is is oenness with existence.
That is when one's true nature.

Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Prophet,

The goals of wisdom and meditation are the same. Complete either path and you will have attained the fruits of both.
What are the fruits that is attained by those ways mentioned?

Love & rgds

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend elmarna,
I think my friend our approach on meditation is quite different.
Yes, since you speak of *I* being present in the meditative state where am pointing towards the state where only existence IS. the meditator and the meditated becomes one!

Love & rgds

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I think...therefore I am.

Take away the thinking...existence goes with it.
(unless you want to be dust, and nothing comes of it)

Empty your mind and heart?...forsake who you are?

You can't actually do that.
You can try not thinking...but it won't last long.

Meditation is an opportunity...a quiet time....to sort through your thoughts and feelings.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend elmarna,

Find the following from the net where it confirms about total merger with existence and that sleep is a part of meditation.
It is reported - and Allah knows best - that Kabir, a friend of God - may Allah be pleased with him - said, "All know that the drop merges into the ocean, but few know that the ocean merges into the drop."
A Muslim is obligated to pray five times a day: once before sunrise, at noon, in the afternoon, after sunset, and once at night. During prayer a Muslim focuses and meditates on God by reciting the Qur'an and engaging in dhikr to reaffirm and strengthen the bond between Creator and creation, with the purpose of guiding the soul to truth.[citation needed] Such meditation is intended to help maintain a feeling of spiritual peace, in the face of whatever challenges work, social or family life may present.
The five daily acts of peaceful prayer are to serve as a template and inspiration for conduct during the rest of the day, transforming it, ideally, into one single and sustained meditation: even sleep is to be regarded as but another phase of that sustained meditation.[99]

Love & rgds

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality
Friend Prophet,

What are the fruits that is attained by those ways mentioned?

Love & rgds

Wisdom is the goal of the contemplative path. Separation from ego is the goal of the meditative path.

One who attains separation from ego attains all wisdom as well. One who attains wisdom attains freedom from the imprisonment of ego as well.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Thief,
Thank you for sharing.
Meditation is an opportunity...a quiet time....to sort through your thoughts and feelings.
since total stillness of mind/thoughts is not experinced one will obviously say as you do and it is understood.
It is for this reason that satori/samadhi is teremed as *twice born* as the actual life of the individual starts from then onwards. When Jesus said *The dead will bury their dead* it is in that context when one is yet to be reborn.
It is for this reason am dividing humans into those who are THINKERS and those who are MEDITATORS!:D

Love & rgds

Prophet

breaking the statutes of my local municipality

We make machines which are capable of thought. Awareness of thought is another matter. It has been said, "I think, therefore I am," but this is the Truth in all earnest, You are aware of thought or lack thereof, therefore you are.

Take away the attachment to incessant thought, and you may come face to face with the great You Are.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Iti oj,
What about us dreamers?
Between day and night between light and darkness there is a dawn or twilight or a grey area.
Dreamers are anywhere in that zone
So, enjoy your dream!

Love & rgds

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Friends,

Having found that religion is a path or way to still the mind and those who have stilled their minds are MEDITATORS and so the rest are THINKERS.

Your view/s ??

Love & rgds

It seems to me, ZenZero, that meditation and thinking are in some sense two tools. Each has its uses. For instance, it seems impossible to experience the One or oneness through thinking, for thinking is to experience as a map is to its terrain.

On the other hand, meditation is not a good tool for balancing a checkbook. Thought seems to be required for such things.

To be either a meditator or a thinker is to have but one tool in one's toolbox. To be both a meditator and a thinker is to have two tools in one's toolbox.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Is that meditation, Thief? Or is it a form of thinking? It seems to me that sorting through one's thoughts and feelings must be a thoughtful activity, and therefore not so much meditation as thinking. But what do you think?