• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things I have a problem with when it comes to Commemorations

Slapstick

Birthdays are first - People, companies, and organizations celebrating other people’s birthdays long after they have died. Yes, so and so may have been 205 years old today, but that is no reason to celebrate their birthday when they are dead, gone and no longer around to see or celebrate it.

Anniversaries are second - Why do people feel the need to say “This is the anniversary of 'some tragic event'." As if it is something to celebrate or remember. Why not say “today marks ‘exclamation’ of event xyz.”

These are a few things I have a problem with when it comes to popular media, news, society, etc. This may be more of a semi-social rant then anything else, but nevertheless feel free to post comments or problems you have.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Birthdays are first - People, companies, and organizations celebrating other people’s birthdays long after they have died. Yes, so and so may have been 205 years old today, but that is no reason to celebrate their birthday when they are dead, gone and no longer around to see or celebrate it.

I do not believe this tradition exists because we feel the actual date of their birth or passing is important. It is simply a convenient day to honor and revere the contributions that person made.

I would also remark that my culture doesn't really have a proper day of the dead (aside, perhaps, from Memorial Day, but that is specifically to honor our fallen warriors). This may leave something of a vacuum in my culture that hasn't been filled. We don't have a single, designated day to honor our sacred ancestors, so we latch on to the next logical thing: a specific ancestor's birthday.

Anniversaries are second - Why do people feel the need to say “This is the anniversary of 'some tragic event'." As if it is something to celebrate or remember. Why not say “today marks ‘exclamation’ of event xyz.”

I'm not sure what you mean. Is not an anniversary the same thing as marking an event?