• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things '60s Kids Did That Would Horrify Us Now

Viker

Häxan
Talk about safety hazards and ill-advised juvenile activities. We used to hangout on and cross the river on this monstrosity. Tht K&I bridge was shut down for all commuter and pedestrian traffic due to safety concerns in 78/79.

Kentucky_and_Indiana_Bridge_seen_from_New_Albany_Indiana_in_February_2006_a6b001.jpg
01-louisville-kandi-bridge.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I've noticed that playgrounds for kids have noticeably changed since when I was a kid. We used to have an asphalt playground where kids would play on the monkey bars or the jungle gym, made of metal - and nothing to cushion anyone's fall. Nowadays, they have sand or wood chips at playgrounds I've seen, with plastic equipment instead of metal.
Part of life's experiences was getting hurt.

Used to just get called dummy and sent off to see the doctor.

Now people just call a lawyer and sue.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Welcome to Louisville, welcome to Louisville. :D

I've never actually visited Louisville, but I've seen the movie Return of the Living Dead, which was set in Louisville. Is that what it's really like?

returnofthelivingdead-punks.jpg

Viker

Häxan
I've never actually visited Louisville, but I've seen the movie Return of the Living Dead, which was set in Louisville. Is that what it's really like?

View attachment 51637
It was sort of like that, for real, in the mid 80s. Without zombies and getting nuked of course. I hung out with kids like that in my teens. They got the location of Central Avenue wrong. That's the street with Churchill Downs on it. Not Eastern Cemetery.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Part of life's experiences was getting hurt.

Used to just get called dummy and sent off to see the doctor.

Now people just call a lawyer and sue.

Knowing what I know now, I bet we could have sued my school when I was in 7th grade, after I fell and slipped on some ice on school property. I actually broke a couple of ligaments in my arm and had to have it in a sling for a while. It was right before Christmas vacation. The idea of suing the school never even occurred to my father, who was an honest man and didn't think about such things. When it happened, the school nurse was out, and one of the secretaries from the main office offered me a band-aid (one of those small band-aids, too). I had no other choice but to suffer through the last two periods and then wait for my dad to get home so he could take me to the doctor. His insurance covered it.

Looking back, I guess we probably could have sued the school. It seems the in thing to do these days. But my dad seemed to think it was my fault for not being more careful, and I'm inclined to agree with that assessment.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
This was in the late 70's, but my brother and I learned to make gunpowder from watching Star Trek and having a couple of conversations with my dad. Great fun! What a blast!