• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things '60s Kids Did That Would Horrify Us Now

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This was my childhood.

27 Things '60s Kids Did That Would Horrify Us Now

s7.PNG
s1.PNG
s2.PNG
s3.PNG
s4.PNG
s5.PNG
s6.PNG

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
This is true. Even at a very early age, I recall playing outside without any adult supervision. Of course, we had to be within earshot of our parents, in case they called us to come in.

And of course, the cigarettes. Everybody smoked.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This is true. Even at a very early age, I recall playing outside without any adult supervision. Of course, we had to be within earshot of our parents, in case they called us to come in.

And of course, the cigarettes. Everybody smoked.

I miss candy cigarettes. Those were cool.

And cap pistols too, playing countless rounds of good guys and bad guys. Blowing capsmoke off the barrel of your pistol and placing it in your holster.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
One of my favorites was playing lawn dart touch football...

Must admit it only happened once. And that we were fortunate no one died or was severely injured before we stopped playing...whether we realized the danger and common sense prevailed, or perhaps some parent noticed and put a stop to it...I just don't remember for sure...:D

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I miss candy cigarettes. Those were cool.

And cap pistols too, playing countless rounds of good guys and bad guys. Blowing capsmoke off the barrel of your pistol and placing it in your holster.
Cap guns. And I had a replica M-1 rifle as well.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Playing on the railroad tracks is a big one.

When we were kids, We probably spent at least as much time on the railroad tracks as we did at the parks.

The tracks were a shortcut, a playground, a hunting ground, a quick way to ditch the cops :D, an amateur archaeological site, an impromptu campgrounds.

We would put pennies on the tracks and collect them after they got smashed flat; we'd see how far we could get walking on a rail without falling; we walked the tracks the two and a half miles to the Forest preserve, or if we got lucky we'd hop a freight train the whole way.

In most places there was a good 20 yards or more of forest on either side of the rails, even in the middle of the city, so the railroad tracks were full of rabbits, raccoons, skunks, possums. A few of us went up there to practice with our bow and arrows, some kids actually hunt ed the small game.

Another fun thing to do was to dig around in the dirt looking for old glass electrical transformers, railroad spikes, and old bottles. Some of the stuff that we found had to be from the previous century.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Playing on the railroad tracks is a big one.

When we were kids, We probably spent at least as much time on the railroad tracks as we did at the parks.

The tracks were a shortcut, a playground, a hunting ground, a quick way to ditch the cops :D, an amateur archaeological site, an impromptu campgrounds.

We would put pennies on the tracks and collect them after they got smashed flat; we'd see how far we could get walking on a rail without falling; we walked the tracks the two and a half miles to the Forest preserve, or if we got lucky we'd hop a freight train the whole way.

In most places there was a good 20 yards or more of forest on either side of the rails, even in the middle of the city, so the railroad tracks were full of rabbits, raccoons, skunks, possums. A few of us went up there to practice with our bow and arrows, some kids actually hunt ed the small game.

Another fun thing to do was to dig around in the dirt looking for old glass electrical transformers, railroad spikes, and old bottles. Some of the stuff that we found had to be from the previous century.

We used to put pennies on the railroad tracks, too.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Good post.
I used to walk to elementary school -- a mile, at least, from first grade. Sometimes I'd go to a friend's house after school. It never occurred to me to notify anyone. As long as I showed up for dinner nobody worried.
If I came directly home from school I needed no key. The house was never locked.

Every kid had cap guns. It was de rigueur. If you were playing an Indian, though, a bow and arrow could substitute.

I used to wander around the neighborhood, shooting things with a BB gun that was indistinguishable from a real rifle. Noöne raised an eyebrow, much less called the police.

My little brother used to walk to marksmanship classes at the YMCA, more than a mile, right through downtown, carrying a real, .22 rifle. No problems.

Sometimes, on a whim, I'd get my fishing rod, get on my bike, and pedal to Loch Raven reservoir -- six or eight miles -- and spend the day fishing. It never occurred to me to tell anyone I was going. My parents found out only when I showed up with a Lone Ranger lunch box full of fish. My mom would cook them for dinner.

:D

Last edited:

Ashoka

श्री कृष्णा शरणं मम
SO I don't know if this counts, but my mom would put my car seat in the front seat. This was with a car that didn't have airbags. But this was around 199...1 or 2 I think? She'd blast DC Talk (Oh yeah, she was a Jesus Freak) and I would be in the front seat jammin.

I miss those days. We all really took chances lol.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Good post.
I used to walk to elementary school -- a mile, at least, from first grade. Sometimes I'd go to a friend's house after school. It never occurred to me to notify anyone. As long as I showed up for dinner nobody worried.
If I came directly home from school I needed no key. The house was never locked.

Every kid had cap guns. It was de rigeure. If you were playing an Indian, though, a bow and arrow could substitute.

I used to wander around the neighborhood, shooting things with a BB gun that was indistinguishable from a real rifle. Noöne raised an eyebrow, much less called the police.

My little brother used to walk to marksmanship classes at the YMCA, more than a mile, right through downtown, carrying a real, .22 rifle. No problems.

Sometimes, on a whim, I'd get my fishing rod, get on my bike, and pedal to Loch Raven reservoir -- six or eight miles -- and spend the day fishing. It never occurred to me to tell anyone I was going. My parents found out only when I showed up with a Lone Ranger lunch box full of fish. My mom would cook them for dinner.

:D
I still remember going to the rod and gun clubs in my area and shooting at the range.

You could walk down the street drinking a beer on your way to meeting a friend. Hell you could drive drinking a beer then. Albeit the latter was a good thing to discourage.

I used to steer the car while on my father's lap and drive a farm tractor at 12 years old. Younger even although you had an adult with you.

No helmet necessary to ride a bike or bicycle.

No one ever had a problem or issue over it.

Food tasted better with real saturated fat at restaurants.

You could smoke at bars. Some restaurants. Play pool in a smoke filked room as a kid. It was great.

Kids ran lemonade stands and the police even would buy a cup or two.

People were open and friendly and not jaded and paranoid like they are today.