• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They're at it again

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Is that better or worse than Julian Assange?
Julian Assange was responsible for releasing classified information of various official governments, he knew where this would lead him.
Do you think any of us atheist members expect to be dragged out of our homes for publishing material of a secular nature on our personal blogs?
In addition, what does Assange has to do with this case? We've discussed Assange in several threads dedicated to his case.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I'm not sure what wikileaks has to do with Arabic police arresting a man over posting a video on a facebook page. The man was arrested for "insulting religion" rather than illegally uploading videos

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Julian Assange was responsible for releasing classified information of various official governments, he knew where this would lead him.
Do you think any of us atheist members expect to be dragged out of our homes for publishing material of a secular nature on our personal blogs?
In addition, what does Assange has to do with this case? We've discussed Assange in several threads dedicated to his case.

Assange is an example of somone arrested for posting on the internet, that's all.

The ops statement 'They're at it again' suggests that locking people up for posting on the internet is the domain of scary foreigners. My point is that ... I'm sure you don't need me to spell it out.

Re people being pulled out of their beds and being loocked up for their religious beliefs - there is a whole prison full of them in Cuba.

'We' are in no position to lecture 'them'. That's my point.

Last edited:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what wikileaks has to do with Arabic police arresting a man over posting a video on a facebook page. The man was arrested for "insulting religion" rather than illegally uploading videos

You said
Another example of Arabic countries trying to punish people for speaking freely
and my point is that not only Arab countries punish people for speaking freely.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
You said
and my point is that not only Arab countries punish people for speaking freely.

oh I see what you're getting at now. The Arabic case to me is much worse because of the reasoning for the arrest. In this case the reason for arrest is "insulting religion" whereas for Assange it's alleged sex assault.

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
From the article:

Alber Saber was arrested on Friday after his mother called the police out of fear of the crowd outside their home. Saber was arrested under the rarely used law that prohibits insulting religion. He was allegedly thrown in a crowded jail cell and the officer allegedly told those in the cell that Saber had insulted the Prophet Muhammad. There are reports that Saber has been attacked in the jail cell and according to one blog, his neck was slashed with a razorblade.

What is wrong with some people?!

apophenia

From the article:

What is wrong with some people?!

That is a question you could eventually be jailed, or killed, for asking.

Even as you read this the French government is being forced to consider whether there should be limits to freedom of speech.

If they capitulate, then the centuries of effort to create a free civil society will be reversed. Any such legislation will be the thin edge of the wedge. Don't expect the demands to end there if any western government capitulates to the threat of urban terror.

And there is a horribly real possibility that western society will negotiate with terrorists and pass such legislation.

For all those warm and fuzzy feel-gooders out there, this may seem like a necessary compromise. In fact, it will be flushing free speech down the toilet, and the fundamentalist noose will only tighten...