• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They should make a TV show about Harry Potter as an Auror

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it specifically Harry Potter or Rowling certain net denizens are protesting? I thought when they decided to hate something it was a full package but I recently read an article that suggests it's just the author they have a problem with.
There's two camps.

One which collectively dropped HP because JK is still getting royalties and refuse to contribute to her through any official productions. That the quality of the product or vibe you get from fandom doesn't matter so much as what supporting the product does feeding a TERFy jerk who uses her fortune to further TERFy jerk agendas.

The other also has that but insists that HP wasnt really a good story anyway and about as thought provoking on the subject as Twilight was about vampires (and about as origonal. With HP not even being the best "British magical school" series.) And also contains a lot of gross things like antisemitic imagery, slavery apologetics, lots of racist stereotyping, etc. Basically that camp is "I beg of you please read more than this. There is better than this."

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The other also has that but insists that HP wasnt really a good story anyway and about as thought provoking on the subject as Twilight was about vampires (and about as origonal. With HP not even being the best "British magical school" series.) And also contains a lot of gross things like antisemitic imagery, slavery apologetics, lots of racist stereotyping, etc. Basically that camp is "I beg of you please read more than this. There is better than this."
Well, it is a kids story. And how one of my nephews was able to get me with this Facebook thing it is very, very similar to Star Wars in plot. Which itself was good, especially for what it achieved back in the day, but even then it was already told 1000 times and pretty simple in it's world view and morality (which is why I started watching more Star Trek as I got older).

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, it is a kids story. And how one of my nephews was able to get me with this Facebook thing it is very, very similar to Star Wars in plot. Which itself was good, especially for what it achieved back in the day, but even then it was already told 1000 times and pretty simple in it's world view and morality (which is why I started watching more Star Trek as I got older).
Agreed. Star Wars is basically Dune plus Flash Gordon which makes it more digestible to a wider audience.

Although I am squarely in the camp where I think the best Star Wars stories have the fewest Jedi, which are just an absurdist, narratively incoherent version of Buddhism. So Knights of the Old Republic, Rogue One and Andor are my favorite Star Wars. And since none of that is the OG, gets me a lot of frowns lol.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Flash Gordon
I met Sam Jones over this last summer at a comic convention thingy, and I asked him what it was like snorting coke with a teddy bear. And, instead of a silly answer to a silly question I got to feel like I was in the 80s again with hero of the show telling the kids not to use drugs with this bit he went on about how it wasn't real and hos drugs are a liability and you just don't want to use them.
Although I am squarely in the camp where I think the best Star Wars stories have the fewest Jedi, which are just an absurdist, narratively incoherent version of Buddhism. So Knights of the Old Republic, Rogue One and Andor are my favorite Star Wars. And since none of that is the OG, gets me a lot of frowns lol.
I did enjoy the Knights of the Old Republic. Definitely one of the deeper and more well developed stories.
I also really like the New Jedi Order series. The story telling in those books, one unifying element is no one is safe. Lots of characters, some on the original movies but many who only lived in the books, do end up being killed over the course of that series. It involves an invading species from another galaxy, and they pose a far greater danger than what fiction stories normally provide.
But how I have long admired how Star Wars developed outside of the movies is I can ask I wonder how long it took the residents of the lower underlevels of Coruscant to discover the planet was moved and terraformed. None of that, at all, comes from the movies. The name Coruscant, it having a many subfloors underneath the main street level story/floor (as it's certainly not the actual planet surface), and it being terraformed all come from the books.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

“Fewest Jedi”? Knights of the Old Republic has far more Jedi in it than the entire Old Trilogy- which was just Yoda, Luke, Anakin, Obi-Wan- and far more Sith than simply Vader and the Emperor. It even has more Jedi and Sith than 1,2,3, Clone Wars, and probably all of Disney Star Wars combined, if we count KOTOR 2 and SWTOR. All of which continue to be incredible games.