• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They should make a TV show about Harry Potter as an Auror

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Perhaps I enjoyed it because of a singular advantage,
ie, no expectations. Been nearly half a century since
I read the books.
Harfoots struck me as pre-Hobbits.
Pretty sure Harfoots are one of the ancestors of Hobbits iirc
I’m not 100% but I’m fairly certain that is actually lore.
But don’t quote me on that. Been too long since a Tolkien reread, just seems vaguely familiar lol

Since I haven’t seen Rings of Power I can’t comment either way

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is not as simple as that.

Vader was with the Empire, but the Light and Dark aspects of the Force were waging war within him. The title of Episode 6- “Return of the Jedi”- is not referring to Luke… it is referring to the return of Anakin Skywalker.
That just shows how strained the plots must
become in order to introduce some drama.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's not a meh. Gimli and Aragorn both explained in Return of the King that dwarf women have beards, which has lead to the belief among some there are no dwarf women and that dwarves just sprung up from the mud. It is very firmly established lore that dwarves, both men and women, have beards and they take a lot of pride in them.

Nimos

Perhaps I enjoyed it because of a singular advantage,
ie, no expectations. Been nearly half a century since
I read the books.
Harfoots struck me as pre-Hobbits.
I have only read Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit.

Rings of Power obviously is supposed to take place before that.

The Harfoots are Hobbits, which is stated in Lord of the Rings in the very beginning. What the showrunners are doing, is basically saying that Asian people aren't really humans. :D

But there are 3 types of hobbits, Harfoots being one of them. Obviously, this is a minor thing, but the real issue I have with them is how they have managed to turn them into sociopaths, that go around trying to kill and murder each other by leaving each other behind. How they laugh at those that were lost and got killed, while the main hobbit's friend is sitting there who lost her whole family. They are outright psychopaths in Rings of Power.

Also the whole thing with Galadriel chasing Sauron, she never did that :) Elrond was a very good fighter, whereas in the ROP he is a diplomat or politician or something. Also, Galadriel never went to Numenor. And her brother which got killed and basically set up the whole show of why Galadriel is angry got resurrected shortly after he was killed and live with his family in Valinor according to Tolkien, so all of that is just made up.

The Queen of Numenor was never queen either, again, basically, nothing in the show has anything to do with Tolkien, it is just the showrunners that makeup stuff, which is why nothing in the show makes any sense.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's not a meh. Gimli and Aragorn both explained in Return of the King that dwarf women have beards, which has lead to the belief among some there are no dwarf women and that dwarves just sprung up from the mud. It is very firmly established lore that dwarves, both men and women, have beards and they take a lot of pride in them.
Really get'n yer geek freak on today, eh.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I have only read Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit.

Rings of Power obviously is supposed to take place before that.

The Harfoots are Hobbits, which is stated in Lord of the Rings in the very beginning. What the showrunners are doing, is basically saying that Asian people aren't really humans. :D
Tis true. The Asians in me family
all seem really alien to me.
But there are 3 types of hobbits, Harfoots being one of them. Obviously, this is a minor thing, but the real issue I have with them is how they have managed to turn them into sociopaths, that go around trying to kill and murder each other by leaving each other behind. How they laugh at those that were lost and got killed, while the main hobbit's friend is sitting there who lost her whole family. They are outright psychopaths in Rings of Power.

Also the whole thing with Galadriel chasing Sauron, she never did that :) Elrond was a very good fighter, whereas in the ROP he is a diplomat or politician or something. Also, Galadriel never went to Numenor. And her brother which got killed and basically set up the whole show of why Galadriel is angry got resurrected shortly after he was killed and live with his family in Valinor according to Tolkien, so all of that is just made up.

The Queen of Numenor was never queen either, again, basically, nothing in the show has anything to do with Tolkien, it is just the showrunners that makeup stuff, which is why nothing in the show makes any sense.
I just watched, & went for a ride.
Never wallowed in the details.

Nimos

Pretty sure Harfoots are one of the ancestors of Hobbits iirc
I’m not 100% but I’m fairly certain that is actually lore.
But don’t quote me on that. Been too long since a Tolkien reread, just seems vaguely familiar lol

Since I haven’t seen Rings of Power I can’t comment either way
They are hobbits, in the same way, Asian and African people are humans.

Nimos

Tis true. The Asians in me family
all seem really alien to me.

I just watched, & went for a ride.
Never wallowed in the details.
That's fine.

What annoys me, is that here you have a person that has to spend his whole life creating this Universe. The lore, the background etc. are all there if you want to get into it.

Then some morons from Hollywood or where they are from come along and throw a lot of money at it and believe that they can improve it in a couple of years. It annoys me because there are very few things like this, meaning very well-thought-out fantasy and sci-fi shows. We are talking about two of the biggest sci-fi shows ever, Star wars and Star Trek, which are ruined. The biggest fantasy universe ever, completely butchered. And the list goes on if you look at Marvel etc. They treat these things with so little respect that it is insane.

Just look at the last couple of seasons of Game of Thrones, the moment GRRM wasn't involved, the show just went completely off track, ending up pretty much ruining all the former seasons.

Nimos

Ahh. I thought they were similar to Fallohides, or like Stoor Hobbits (Sméagol.) Just much older lol
Those are the other two races. :) But my guess is that the showrunners don't have the right to the Hobbit, which is why they try to make it sound like they are not really hobbits, because they can't call them that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's fine.

What annoys me, is that here you have a person that has to spend his whole life creating this Universe. The lore, the background etc. are all there if you want to get into it.

Then some morons from Hollywood or where they are from come along and throw a lot of money at it and believe that they can improve it in a couple of years. It annoys me because there are very few things like this, meaning very well-thought-out fantasy and sci-fi shows. We are talking about two of the biggest sci-fi shows ever, Star wars and Star Trek, which are ruined. The biggest fantasy universe ever, completely butchered. And the list goes on if you look at Marvel etc. They treat these things with so little respect that it is insane.

Just look at the last couple of seasons of Game of Thrones, the moment GRRM wasn't involved, the show just went completely off track, ending up pretty much ruining all the former seasons.
The longer anything lasts, the more if feels corrupted,
eg, Star Trek. Now mushrooms power the ship. Ew.
And the movies....Roddenberry is spinning in his grave.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Those are the other two races. :) But my guess is that the showrunners don't have the right to the Hobbit, which is why they try to make it sound like they are not really hobbits, because they can't call them that.
Lol wouldn’t surprise me

Nimos

A lot of people have been involved, yes, but it has at times been to profound ends and stories and characters that were known and loved. One example, the planet Coruscant, was just the City Planet until Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire series. The children of Han and Leia, Jason, Jaina and Anakin, made many appearances in the books until their deaths. The Sith and Jedi Codes, along with the Grey Jedi, that came from the Knights of the Old Republic video game series.
I haven't read any books or anything about SW, only really enjoyed the original as I grew up with them. But after the Disney movies, the whole Universe was destroyed for me. I don't like any of the characters in them and the lore is completely ruined from what I am concerned. Then I watched some of the series, mostly for a laugh as I want to see how much they can ruin it.

Nimos

The longer anything lasts, the more if feels corrupted,
eg, Star Trek. Now mushrooms power the ship. Ew.
And the movies....Roddenberry is spinning in his grave.
I don't know, I haven't kept track of what is going on in Star trek, heard that Picard was exceptionally bad and had already given up when they released that other show, which was terrible as well.

I think the problem is that they constantly have to make things crazier all the time. It is not enough that Palpatine can shoot lightning at someone, now he has to be able to shoot it into space. Standard dogfights are not enough, so now we need them to lightspeed jump into each other, but if that was possible, why didn't they just do that in the original movies? It is so amazingly stupid that they do these things and ruin everything when it is not needed, people just want good stories in the universe, not visual spectacles just for the sake of it.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know, I haven't kept track of what is going on in Star trek, heard that Picard was exceptionally bad and had already given up when they released that other show, which was terrible as well.

I think the problem is that they constantly have to make things crazier all the time. It is not enough that Palpatine can shoot lightning at someone, now he has to be able to shoot it into space. Standard dogfights are not enough, so now we need them to lightspeed jump into each other, but if that was possible, why didn't they just do that in the original movies? It is so amazingly stupid that they do these things and ruin everything when it is not needed, people just want good stories in the universe, not visual spectacles just for the sake of it.
I agree. But that is the unfortunate reality of having to cater to an audience primarily conditioned to expect “bigger and better” with everything to do with entertainment. Sometimes that can succeed. Most of the time franchises are run into the ground after a while.
Though they can make comebacks as well

James Bond comes to mind. It is, at the end of the day, simply a wish fulfilment type fantasy. But it has had many iterations over the decades and has been rebooted a fair few times. Not always successfully, since audience tastes and cultural sensitivities inevitably change over the decades. But it has some high and low moments throughout its long run

Let’s face it, us nerds who like to gush over the intricacies of lore are usually in the minority whenever something is adapted. Because we are the “niche” lol
Franchises want to appeal to a broad general demographic, because that makes them the most money at the end of the day
Even as successful as the Harry Potter films were, they were still torn apart by avid fans for inaccuracies to the source material. And that fanbase was mostly comprised of baby geeks in training lol

And I’m sure entire books can be written about the inaccuracies of Peter Jackson’s adaptions of Tolkien’s work lol
(I still love the OG trilogy of films. Don’t know what happened with the Hobbit films though.)

Last edited:

Nimos

I agree. But that is the unfortunate reality of having to cater to an audience primarily conditioned to expect “bigger and better” with everything to do with entertainment. Sometimes that can succeed. Most of the time franchises are run into the ground after a while.
Though they can make comebacks as well

James Bond comes to mind. It is, at the end of the day, simply a wish fulfilment type fantasy. But it has had many iterations over the decades and has been rebooted a fair few times. Not always successfully, since audience tastes and cultural sensitivities inevitably change over the decades. But it has some high and low moments throughout its long run

Let’s face it, us nerds who like to gush over the intricacies of lore are usually in the minority whenever something is adapted. Because we are the “niche” lol
Franchises want to appeal to a broad general demographic, because that makes them the most money at the end of the day
Even as successful as the Harry Potter films were, they were still torn apart by avid fans for inaccuracies to the source material. And that fanbase was mostly comprised of baby geeks in training lol

And I’m sure entire books can be written about the inaccuracies of Peter Jackson’s adaptions of Tolkien’s work lol
(I still love the OG trilogy of films. Don’t know what happened with the Hobbit films though.)
Agree, reboots are possible.

But I think some are way easier than others, I mean James Bond, doesn't really have a lot of established lore things. Obviously, it can become silly in the stuff he does if they go overboard, sort of like with Indiana Jones (Also the new one is going to suck big time, that is my prediction :D)

But if you take stuff like SW or Lord of the Rings, there are certain rules that you have to follow and if you break them these essentially become part of the lore (not LOTR). So for instance when they lightspeed jump ships into each other, people (that care) will wonder why they don't do it all the time rather than shoot at each other. Obviously they tried to "save" it by saying it was one in a million, which is obviously nonsense and also completely ruin the movie, because if it was 1 in a million, then that was probably the worse thing they could have done. So now they just have to ignore it in new movies as if it didn't happen or try to somehow explain it away, which they obviously can't.

So to me this becomes a massive issue, maybe not for the regular people, which doesn't really care, but especially for fans these things will cause a lot of issues, and for people like me that is not a huge fan, but just think that movies at least should be consistent, it makes it looks stupid.

And sure you can find stuff in PJ movies that doesn't fit, but overall, I think the majority of people think that he at least, with the LOTR movies got it right. Also people have to be realistic, LOTR is a long book and a lot of it, is spend on them walking and singing etc. And making movies cost a lot and simply is another media.

But there is no doubt that when you for instance watch the Hobbit, that the worse parts are all the stuff they added that Tolkien didn't write. Legolas jumping around as if gravity doesn't exist, that female elf, which did it good I think, but the love story with the dwarf was just stupid to be honest. Now I think LOTR will survive, because the lore is so established as it is, due to Tolkien, that any adaptions that sucks, will simply be forgotten. But SW and ST doesn't have this in the same way.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I haven't read any books or anything about SW, only really enjoyed the original as I grew up with them. But after the Disney movies, the whole Universe was destroyed for me. I don't like any of the characters in them and the lore is completely ruined from what I am concerned. Then I watched some of the series, mostly for a laugh as I want to see how much they can ruin it.
I was a huge Star Wars fan growing up, and I feel confident saying I read most of the books that had been published up until the late 90s. Many of then are inconsequential and you'll miss nothing, but many are the best stories in the Star Wars universe, such as the Han Solo trilogy.
And I agree. Disney Star Wars can jump off a cliff. I couldn't even stay focused on Episode Six.