• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They Are Not Christians!

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
For one thing they can't tell you anything useful that God couldn't tell you better. (Isaiah 8:19) Secondly you're probably really talking to demons. So what makes people think they can even trust the "dead" to tell the truth? (1 John 4:1)

After all the word for the dead in Hebrew is "Rephaim" which is the same word used for giants. That's the nephilim.

Your advice would have been more impressive if you hadn't quoted from John's stuff, a bloke who was so unaware of what actually happened that all he could do for a gospel was to take a gathered collection of stories and jumble them in to his own idea of a timeline, totally inaccurate and stretched out to three years!
His placing of the Temple clearance at the beginning, rather than the last week of Yeshua's mission is a typical example.
:facepalm:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
They Are Not Christians!

Oh man, you're right, how did I miss that?

Nah mate.......
The OP (self) was quoting a senior female priest in an unnamed organisation, pointing her finger towards another Christian group.

You missed that alright, by a mile! :p

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I believe they're quite real.
I think the Muslims agree with you about this, although they call them 'the Jinn;'.

Of course this proves that despite being a believer you're still frightened of your shadow. The whole idea of Halloween (for example) was to demionstrate that followers need have no fear of satan or anything......

Faith?

74x12

I think the Muslims agree with you about this, although they call them 'the Jinn;'.

Of course this proves that despite being a believer you're still frightened of your shadow. The whole idea of Halloween (for example) was to demionstrate that followers need have no fear of satan or anything......

Faith?
Odd. What makes you think I'm afraid? The fact I oppose them?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Odd. What makes you think I'm afraid? The fact I oppose them?
No, not the fact that you oppose them, but the fact that you take such notice of them. :D

If they didn't bother you, then you wouldn't be bothered by them. :shrug:

Yeah, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for my rod and my staff..... etc? something like that?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Secondly you're probably really talking to demons.
Actually, that's what I was hoping you'd say, because I agree!

In fact, there's no "probably" about it. "The dead do not praise God", Psalms 115:17. Why? Because they are "aware of / know nothing." Ecclesiastes 9:5.

In fact, wicked spirits impostering dead loved ones, has been one of the longest-running conspiracies... since human history began!

Furthering the lie Satan told Eve, "You will not die!" And he's got most people believing, that when someone dies, they don't really die.... they go on living in another realm / dimension. Almost every religion teaches that concept, in some form or another.

But that is the lie! This idea of gaining an immediate afterlife at death, actually negates God's promise of a future resurrection. -- John 5:28-29; Acts of the Apostles 24:15.

So long.

74x12

No, not the fact that you oppose them, but the fact that you take such notice of them. :D

If they didn't bother you, then you wouldn't be bothered by them. :shrug:

Yeah, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for my rod and my staff..... etc? something like that?
I see. Look, from my perspective it's like any other war. You must fight the enemy. In this case the enemy are spirits; so we fight a spiritual war. We certainly try our best not to fear them; but we oppose them. Because; yes they are dangerous to humanity. Secondly because they are really the aggressors. They'll come to fight us anyway.

"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for thou art with me ...."

So we should definitely not fear them because God is with us. That's why many of the Psalms are about dealing with fear. David himself was not just a Psalmist but a soldier. He was constantly fighting the enemies of Israel.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I see. Look, from my perspective it's like any other war. You must fight the enemy. In this case the enemy are spirits; so we fight a spiritual war. We certainly try our best not to fear them; but we oppose them. Because; yes they are dangerous to humanity. Secondly because they are really the aggressors. They'll come to fight us anyway.

"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for thou art with me ...."

So we should definitely not fear them because God is with us. That's why many of the Psalms are about dealing with fear. David himself was not just a Psalmist but a soldier. He was constantly fighting the enemies of Israel.
Thank you for your explanation.
Who are most dangerous for mankind do you think, bad spirits or bad humans?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
A retired neighbour and I decided to seek out all the 'tea and chat' venues in our area in the hopes of finding a pleasant hour or two to spend during weekday mornings with new company. It's just more acceptable than drinking cheap cider on street corners, is all, although we could try that at some later time, maybe.

The over 60's club was cold and everybody stayed wrapped up in coats, there being no chance of heating such a huge hall. The Methodist church was friendly, warm and hospitable and I got a free piece of cake with my mug of tea. The Riverside Church was delightful and for a few coins we got pots of tea, a plate of biscuits and nice folks around us. This was looking really good!

And then yesterday we visited a Christian community which invites total sinners like us to a 'light refreshment and chat' venue. The lady who runs the place and her area supervisor were both lovely people, but there was a senior lady 'priest' from HQ present who might benefit from a few courses on diplomacy and conflict management. For that reason I will not name this church. One person shouldn't smash a group's reputation......

We were ushered in to a warm hall where a table was set! No mug of tea and biscuit there.... we were sat down and invited to choose from three soups, and rolls were handed round! My friend was totally off balance at such an unexpected level of formality. There was not much chatter amongst the ten or twelve guests and so (in order to discover more venues) I asked the lady opposite me if she visited any other church meetings. She did..... an evangelical chapel over there, and a Baptist church down the road and etc etc. And that's when I asked her if she ever visited the little Christian Spiritualist chapel which is not far from the Baptist Church. OMG! The senior HQ lady had overheard my question.

In a most unfortunate Germanic kind of accent she spoke loudly for all to hear with pointed finger stabbing the air, 'They are Not Christians!....... Those people are Not Christians!' The whole table came to a silent sit-still. My friend looked at me with that 'You p--t!' kind of expression that I know so well.

I tried to back peddle. I mumbled about 'Well, sure, there are so many different churches, and some churches do say that other Churches are not Christians.......'.

'No! They are not even a Church! Those people are Satanists!' she was shaking very slightly. 'Tell me!' she ordered, 'Do you celebrate Halloween? Do you dress up as Satan?!!!' Gentle members......... this is not at a deep south bible-bashing chapel, this is in a frigging English seaside town at table with a bunch of sweet old dears (I'm 70 now so that's me, OK?)

The senior lady pulled their Creed from a bag and thrust it under my nose...... I noticed the very last line which pointed out that Christians (well, their kind of Christians) would have happiness and joy forever......... while the wicked would suffer dreadful punishment for Eternity.

We talked for a little longer, maybe a few seconds, and then I noticed the time. Yes, it was time to go..... ..... My friend was clearly preparing for a full emergency evacuation (probably cursing my name), but the senior lady pointed out in that Germanic accent that 'Surely we would stay for the talk, No? You must stay for the talk!'.

...And at that point I chucked a fiver on the table and switched on 'polite but positive assertion' and removed self and friend to safety, a long way down the road. I think my friend has decided never to come to any more coffee-and-meet mornings with me ever again. Especially Christian ones!

And so.......... the debate...... Christian Churches here are dying fast, and a huge % of most congregations are elderly because the young are not believing in Christianity that pretends to be full of love whilst enjoying the idea of outsiders being tormented in endless horror. And young ones don't get the concept of 'Smiling faces which conceal scowling nasty mindsets'.

Which of you Christians point out other congregations whilst declaring 'They are not Christians!'... ?? In any event, I could happily stand back and let churches like that one destroy each other in their hot contention.

Splitters!

Ciao

- viole

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
A retired neighbour and I decided to seek out all the 'tea and chat' venues in our area in the hopes of finding a pleasant hour or two to spend during weekday mornings with new company. It's just more acceptable than drinking cheap cider on street corners, is all, although we could try that at some later time, maybe.

The over 60's club was cold and everybody stayed wrapped up in coats, there being no chance of heating such a huge hall. The Methodist church was friendly, warm and hospitable and I got a free piece of cake with my mug of tea. The Riverside Church was delightful and for a few coins we got pots of tea, a plate of biscuits and nice folks around us. This was looking really good!

And then yesterday we visited a Christian community which invites total sinners like us to a 'light refreshment and chat' venue. The lady who runs the place and her area supervisor were both lovely people, but there was a senior lady 'priest' from HQ present who might benefit from a few courses on diplomacy and conflict management. For that reason I will not name this church. One person shouldn't smash a group's reputation......

We were ushered in to a warm hall where a table was set! No mug of tea and biscuit there.... we were sat down and invited to choose from three soups, and rolls were handed round! My friend was totally off balance at such an unexpected level of formality. There was not much chatter amongst the ten or twelve guests and so (in order to discover more venues) I asked the lady opposite me if she visited any other church meetings. She did..... an evangelical chapel over there, and a Baptist church down the road and etc etc. And that's when I asked her if she ever visited the little Christian Spiritualist chapel which is not far from the Baptist Church. OMG! The senior HQ lady had overheard my question.

In a most unfortunate Germanic kind of accent she spoke loudly for all to hear with pointed finger stabbing the air, 'They are Not Christians!....... Those people are Not Christians!' The whole table came to a silent sit-still. My friend looked at me with that 'You p--t!' kind of expression that I know so well.

I tried to back peddle. I mumbled about 'Well, sure, there are so many different churches, and some churches do say that other Churches are not Christians.......'.

'No! They are not even a Church! Those people are Satanists!' she was shaking very slightly. 'Tell me!' she ordered, 'Do you celebrate Halloween? Do you dress up as Satan?!!!' Gentle members......... this is not at a deep south bible-bashing chapel, this is in a frigging English seaside town at table with a bunch of sweet old dears (I'm 70 now so that's me, OK?)

The senior lady pulled their Creed from a bag and thrust it under my nose...... I noticed the very last line which pointed out that Christians (well, their kind of Christians) would have happiness and joy forever......... while the wicked would suffer dreadful punishment for Eternity.

We talked for a little longer, maybe a few seconds, and then I noticed the time. Yes, it was time to go..... ..... My friend was clearly preparing for a full emergency evacuation (probably cursing my name), but the senior lady pointed out in that Germanic accent that 'Surely we would stay for the talk, No? You must stay for the talk!'.

...And at that point I chucked a fiver on the table and switched on 'polite but positive assertion' and removed self and friend to safety, a long way down the road. I think my friend has decided never to come to any more coffee-and-meet mornings with me ever again. Especially Christian ones!

And so.......... the debate...... Christian Churches here are dying fast, and a huge % of most congregations are elderly because the young are not believing in Christianity that pretends to be full of love whilst enjoying the idea of outsiders being tormented in endless horror. And young ones don't get the concept of 'Smiling faces which conceal scowling nasty mindsets'.

Which of you Christians point out other congregations whilst declaring 'They are not Christians!'... ?? In any event, I could happily stand back and let churches like that one destroy each other in their hot contention.
I hate this sort of thing too. These churches allow for no deviation from their specific beliefs. That's a straightjacket even for their own members. They also often commit the fallacy of "No True Scotsman."

I don't think these straight jacket Christians are the reason for people becoming "nones." I think it has more to do with lives to harried and distracted by materialism, and a narcissistic tendency to rebel against authority and presume that they are better than the wise of the ages to know what is spiritually best. It also has to do with the elimination of religion from depictions of society (like on TV) that come to look like the normal thing. Other than Blue Bloods, what TV show ever shows families praying before eating, for example?

I hope you will not allow this bad experience to keep you out of a nurturing religious community. If you find a good one, scientific studies show you will live a happier, healthier, longer, and more meaningful life. IOW church going is very healthy for you -- just pick a church which isn't toxic! :)

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I hate this sort of thing too. These churches allow for no deviation from their specific beliefs. That's a straightjacket even for their own members. They also often commit the fallacy of "No True Scotsman."

I don't think these straight jacket Christians are the reason for people becoming "nones." I think it has more to do with lives to harried and distracted by materialism, and a narcissistic tendency to rebel against authority and presume that they are better than the wise of the ages to know what is spiritually best. It also has to do with the elimination of religion from depictions of society (like on TV) that come to look like the normal thing. Other than Blue Bloods, what TV show ever shows families praying before eating, for example?

I hope you will not allow this bad experience to keep you out of a nurturing religious community. If you find a good one, scientific studies show you will live a happier, healthier, longer, and more meaningful life. IOW church going is very healthy for you -- just pick a church which isn't toxic! :)

I must confess, we were investigating venues for old gits (like us) to find cheap mugs of tea, preferably with a biscuit, and good company to add to our full and exciting lifestyles once a week. :) My neighbour is an agnostic and I'm a Deist who is an historic Jesus student...... poor pickings for any evangelist I'm afraid.

I suspect that some religious groups here are more social than God-fearing, and at least one little Church we visited does fit that description, so we might return there in the future, but my neighbour insists that he will never go back to the church described in the OP.

In fact he now wants me to accompany him to a Mosque in Canterbury, Kent, UK sited in the Kent University complex. We will just have to take a chance on timing the visit, and if it doesn't fit then he wants to go over to the Buddhist Temple in Cherry Garden Ave (or road)!

When I suggested a visit to a synagogue he replied that 'he believes that gentiles cannot go in to these', and so if you know better then please tell me, not that we would expect mugs of tea and biscuits there, you understand.... :)

Thankyou for your post.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I must confess, we were investigating venues for old gits (like us) to find cheap mugs of tea, preferably with a biscuit, and good company to add to our full and exciting lifestyles once a week. :) My neighbour is an agnostic and I'm a Deist who is an historic Jesus student...... poor pickings for any evangelist I'm afraid.

I suspect that some religious groups here are more social than God-fearing, and at least one little Church we visited does fit that description, so we might return there in the future, but my neighbour insists that he will never go back to the church described in the OP.

In fact he now wants me to accompany him to a Mosque in Canterbury, Kent, UK sited in the Kent University complex. We will just have to take a chance on timing the visit, and if it doesn't fit then he wants to go over to the Buddhist Temple in Cherry Garden Ave (or road)!

When I suggested a visit to a synagogue he replied that 'he believes that gentiles cannot go in to these', and so if you know better then please tell me, not that we would expect mugs of tea and biscuits there, you understand.... :)

Thankyou for your post.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Gentiles are welcome to visit. But why would a Gentile want to go there if he wasn't interested in conversion? We do have such sorts at my synagogue. First, we have a LOT of intermarried. We also get all the students from local universities that are studyiing Judaism. We have Gentile community members who sing in the choir, so have been there or over 15 years. Our organist is a Christian mensch. He's been at the synagogue so long that he's a fixture. He says if he converted to Judaism, we'd have to fire him for working on the Sabbath. LOL I know Gentiles who don't come regularly, but they are "nones" and sometimes just get the urge to worship.

I think the reception will depend a lot on the synagogue. Some are very welcoming, and some are downright unfriendly. The Orthodox have a much harder time understanding why a Gentile would want to come. But if you tell them you are not a Christian, but believe in God and living rightly (B'nei Noach) you have a very good chance they would welcome you.

Is your friend interested in exploring Judaism? Like, would he be interested in going to the synagogue for classes in basic Judaism and stuff? Or is he just looking for a place to hang out? Remember that Judaism is another name for Keeping the Covenant. As a Gentile he has no such obligation. But why would he want to come to a place where everyone is practicing a religion that he's not interested in, if that's the case? I'm trying to find the neutral ground between welcoming him, and telling him it's okee dokee if he's not a Jew

My suggestion is to call your local synagogue, and discuss it with the Rabbi. See what happens.. I think this is probably a good time to check out any number of possibilities, since he has no real home. I hope he visits a synagogue and inquires into what I consider to be an incredibly beautiful, meaningful faith. But he should also visit that mosque, a Unitarian Universalist Church, and others. And perhaps he should not be so quick to give up on Christianity. As the Jackson 5 sing: "One bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch of girls." There are many Christian churches that are as far from toxic as you can get. Anglicans are very open on who they let attend, for example.

Personally, I think the journey or him to a new faith community sounds awesome. I've always enjoyed learning about other faiths. They all bring something to the table (even if I like mine the best LOL).