• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thesis: YEC are Conspiracy Theorists

gnostic

The Lost One
Yes thats my point the supernatural can in principle be debunked or proven (with high degree of certanity)

But for some reason @Dan From Smithville would disagree

No, you misunderstood my reply, Leroy.

Houdini did expose all the frauds he encountered, but it wasn’t through scientific evidence; he didn’t use the scientific method. No science weren’t involved.

Houdini just understood human nature, he understood that most frauds are the results of greeds, the willingness to deceive others for money.

You don’t need science to see that all claims of supernatural to be false claims, through any of the following:
  • Person writing fiction for books, or screenplay for movies or tv shows.
  • The person suffer from delusions.
  • The person misunderstood the phenomena.
  • People are false or fraudulent claims for gain...this is what Houdini exposed.
Dan is talking about science.

Attempt have been made to study the occultist practice, the psychics, the supernatural. This study is called parapsychology. There were attempts to use scientific methods, but these researchers have failed with their explanations and methodologies in testing supernatural, so parapsychology have become just pseudoscience as supernatural itself.

Parapsychology is a nothing more than a joke, not real scientific studies.

There are no scientific researches into the supernatural, because it isn’t falsifiable, and cannot be tested.

Last edited:

leroy

No, you misunderstood my reply, Leroy.

Houdini did expose all the frauds he encountered, but it wasn’t through scientific evidence; he didn’t use the scientific method. No science weren’t involved.

Houdini just understood human nature, he understood that most frauds are the results of greeds, the willingness to deceive others for money.

You don’t need science to see that all claims of supernatural to be false claims, through any of the following:
  • Person writing fiction for books, or screenplay for movies or tv shows.
  • The person suffer from delusions.
  • The person misunderstood the phenomena.
  • People are false or fraudulent claims for gain...this is what Houdini exposed.
Dan is talking about science.

Attempt have been made to study the occultist practice, the psychics, the supernatural. This study is called parapsychology. There were attempts to use scientific methods, but these researchers have failed with their explanations and methodologies in testing supernatural, so parapsychology have become just pseudoscience as supernatural itself.

Parapsychology is a nothing more than a joke, not real scientific studies.

There are no scientific researches into the supernatural, because it isn’t falsifiable, and cannot be tested.

So if someone who claims to have supernatural powers claims to see the future you can just ask him. About events in the future (say the results of the next 100 soccer games) and test them...... It what way this isent science?

ecco

Veteran Member
Reading Genesis now, we can see through an increased understanding of the original language,

Do you think that "our" understanding of the original language is better than the people who wrote Genesis? The people who wrote Genesis make many clear and concise statements about many things - including that Eve was created from Adam's rib. That doesn't reconcile with science.

The word “day” in Hebrew (yohm) is now understood to mean, not just a 24 hour period, but a span of time with no determined length. The clue is in stating that “there was evening and morning” to begin and end these “days”. A “day” for Jews began and ended at sundown, but these periods are likened to a period that begins at sundown and ends in the morning.....so not a 24 hour period.

If we use your reasoning, a "day", is a "span of time with no determined length" that can be less than 24 hours. Only in your imagination can it be billions of years longer than 24 hours.

How do you account for the fact that the genealogies put The Great Flood at about 4000 years ago? How do you reconcile that with your very limited view of science?

My belief incorporates both the Bible and science, without having to choose one or the other and without having to eliminate the Creator or to abandon what science “knows”. What science “believes” however, comes into a very different category for me.

Judging from most of your posts, in your mind, science knows nothing, it just believes in a lot of silly things. You have repeatedly made the comment "science hasn't proved...". If science hasn't proved, then it is just a belief - right?

So bottom line, you haven't reconciled science with your religious beliefs. You accept your religious beliefs and discard most of what science knows because it hasn't been proved. Stop pretending.

gnostic

The Lost One
So if someone who claims to have supernatural powers claims to see the future you can just ask him. About events in the future (say the results of the next 100 soccer games) and test them...... It what way this isent science?

That’s begging the question, Leroy.

You have already reach a conclusion on imaginary scenario and asking a question on scenario that haven’t happened.

Do you remember when I said that there have already been attempts were made to test people with (powers) in studies listed under PARAPSYCHOLOGY?

These tests have showed negative results of psychic abilities, and yet these researchers TRY TO CONTINUE their researches despite already debunking these people claims of having supernatural abilities, which make their researches into parapsychology - a failed research.

Since they failed to establish people with supernatural abilities, parapsychology should have been discarded as debunked hypothesis and left at that. But they persisted to keep the research alive, so parapsychology is nothing more than pseudoscience crap; parapsychology isn’t science.

My points is that these researches have already tried to test people claiming they can predict future, and the test results have shown negative results.

So why would you think scenario of predicting 100 soccer game results with perfect accuracy should be tested?

Your imaginary scenario might be possible in the fictional world (eg novels, comic books, tv series or movies) or in folklores urban legends, but in real world that clearly never happened.

leroy

That’s begging the question, Leroy.

You have already reach a conclusion on imaginary scenario and asking a question on scenario that haven’t happened.

Do you remember when I said that there have already been attempts were made to test people with (powers) in studies listed under PARAPSYCHOLOGY?

These tests have showed negative results of psychic abilities, and yet these researchers TRY TO CONTINUE their researches despite already debunking these people claims of having supernatural abilities, which make their researches into parapsychology - a failed research.

Since they failed to establish people with supernatural abilities, parapsychology should have been discarded as debunked hypothesis and left at that. But they persisted to keep the research alive, so parapsychology is nothing more than pseudoscience crap; parapsychology isn’t science.

My points is that these researches have already tried to test people claiming they can predict future, and the test results have shown negative results.

So why would you think scenario of predicting 100 soccer game results with perfect accuracy should be tested?

Your imaginary scenario might be possible in the fictional world (eg novels, comic books, tv series or movies) or in folklores urban legends, but in real world that clearly never happened.

Yes thats my point parapsychology can (and has been) tested,..

Dan's point is that even in principle things like parapsychology can't be tested

So apparently we are on the same side about this issue

gnostic

The Lost One
Yes thats my point parapsychology can (and has been) tested,..

Dan's point is that even in principle things like parapsychology can't be tested

So apparently we are on the same side about this issue
But again, you’re still missing the points.

Parapsychology itself, is a failed hypothesis.

They (researchers) were proposing it (psychics) was real, but the failed tests demonstrated they were wrong, which debunked their own proposals and premises.

Hence, parapsychology ISN’T SCIENCE!

Dan is right.

leroy

But again, you’re still missing the points.

Parapsychology itself, is a failed hypothesis.

They (researchers) were proposing it (psychics) was real, but the failed tests demonstrated they were wrong, which debunked their own proposals and premises.

Hence, parapsychology ISN’T SCIENCE!

Dan is right.

I never said that parapsychology, Gohst, Resurrections, predicting the future etc are science

I said that in principle you can test for these ideas and ether prove them or falsified them (with a high degree of certanity)...... So would you agree with this statement?