• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

These times are no good: the human race is rotten

Jonathan Bailey

I’m fascinated that the OP gives one sentence to litter and one to keeping up infrastructure then dedicates paragraph after paragraph about being clean shaved. Hate to break it to you, bub, but men’s facial hair styles have come and gone throughout the decades. Just because you grew up with a military background and time where clean shaved was the norm doesn’t make your preference “right.”

I've noticed young men start to wear goatees in the mid 1990's. Before that, beards were almost never seen on younger men in America. Maybe about 1 in 5 younger men had a mustache, but that was it. I never objected to neat mustaches even on waiters in restaurants. I tried mustaches myself while in the army and again in the late 1990's. I've later decided I didn't like to fuss with them and food could still get stuck on them. I applied for an auto technician job at a Les Scwab tire store in 2000 at Boise, ID while wearing a neat mustache. The interviewer said that all male employees had to have no facial hair in accordance with corporate policy. I never got the job. After that I scrapped the 'stache altogether and went clean-shaven ever since. I sure wish all customer service businesses had such policies especially food service and health care. The idea of a bearded guy's working underneath my greasy car doesn't gross me out so much but making my sandwich....come now!

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I am age 55. I am American-born. I served in the army last century. I was raised in middle-to-upper-middle-class communities in coastal northern California. America used to look much more attractive last century. People used to look much more attractive last century. The western free world looked much more attractive last century. There was much less litter in the streets. Infrastructures were nicely kept. People had manners. People were well-dressed. Men were clean-shaven. Beards were the exception and not the rule. Men in business including car salesmen and grocery clerks wore clean shirts and ties. People spoke better English and presented themselves as educated and not dumbed-down. Women were feminine and beautiful and nicely dressed like ladies. People didn't dress like homeless bums as a fashion statement. Stores and restaurants were often very clean and given constant janitorial attention. I worked at a Burger King in 1985. We had to shine the brass railings around the tables in the dining room to perfection with brass polish. Males had to be clean-shaven and clean-cut. No visible tatts were allowed. Management wore clean shirts and ties. Not a spot of squalor in the restaurant would be permitted. Floors were constantly swept and mopped and tables were constantly wiped down with clean, hot soapy towels.

Nowadays people are largely lazy, stupid and uncaring. People look barbaric, like savages, in their decorum and demeanor. People look and act like disgusting pigs. Most consumer manufactured goods are rotten crap made in China sans longevity. Pride in workmanship is long dead. America largely looks ghetto-ish and third-world-like on the surface. Whatever happened to one nation under God? Whatever happened to America the Beautiful? Whatever happened to green well-mown lawns in front of houses that lacked any sign of indoor furniture outside?

Corporate greed was limited back then. Mom and pops flourished back then. The middle class was the norm and not the exception.

Good people make a good world. Rotten people make a rotten world.
Congratulations! You are getting older. I went through the same phase. People have been complaining about the next generation for almost as long as written records about such complaints have been kept:

The 2,500-Year-Old History of Adults Blaming the Younger Generation

Now there may be different problems that the youth face today than we did, but that has always been the way of the world.

Jonathan Bailey

What's wrong with the world today? Is it poverty? Famine? War? Disease? Bigotry? Economic downturn? Human rights abuses? Climate/ecological crisis?

No, it's beards. :rolleyes:

Well, back in the 1950's through the early 1990's, there seemed to be little poverty in America as compared with today. The middle class ruled. Walmart/Target/Sam's/Costco had not yet been heard of on a national scale. Windows computers and Internet were virtually unheard of. Kmart was common and so were smaller retail chains. If you had an associate's degree from a community college in California, you could be well on your way to a middle income career. So, no, there's more to our troubles now than just beards. It seems economic troubles started here when Clinton shut down bases and things got progressively worse from thereon. When I got out of the army in 1995, rotary-dial telephones were still in military offices as well as IBM electric typewriters. The computers were IBM MS-DOS, no mouse.

Jonathan Bailey

Trying to find the best examples, but if you search for interviews of people from the 20's, you will find incredible beards and hair on a lot of the elderly men. So what happened, did their kids just think they were too wild??

Charley Chaplin had a mustache but no beard. Beards were not common at all with 20th-century American men except maybe for a couple of old coots from the woods and the hippies. Humphrey Bogart was clean-shaven. So was Gregory Peck. I can't recall facial hair on a character of Marlon Brando in any movie. Burt Reynolds wore a mustache but that was cool. Elvis never wore a beard. Clint Eastwood's characters had a few short beards in some spaghetti westerns but he was mostly clean-shaven in his films and always clean-shaven as Dirty Harry.

Jonathan Bailey

sending Walmart Corporate a letter via US Mail

here it is as follows:

RE: Things are not pleasant for me as a customer at several Wal-Mart stores in my community: Lawton, OK

January 2, 2020

Dear Wal-Mart Corporation:

Here are some bad things I have observed at both Wal-Mart Supercenters in Lawton, Oklahoma as follows since moving here in May of 2019:

1. the stores are often dirty inside and the parking lots are often littered outside: trash often accumulates underneath the shelves in stores: dirt balls accumulate in the vents of dairy coolers, men's rooms are often trashy; floors are often trashy; the check stands and counters are often dirty
2. there is often bad produce in stores: salad greens in bags often appear brown: on several occasions, Great Value frozen Blueberries and Cherry Berry Blend have tasted to me like moldy bread: I've sometimes seen mold on potatoes and tomatoes in the produce section
3. often the service is very slow at the customer Internet order pickup points: it has taken me up to one hour to pick something up at the Quannah Park Trail store and a half hour to pick something up another time: I often have to keep telling store personnel several times that I've been waiting long
4. often the music playing in the stores is too loud or too obnoxious
5. last summer I've complained to the store manager of the Sheridan Road store and he looked cross at me for even complaining: I told him the men's room was dirty and he said, "So what?"
6. I don't like the appearance of many store employees including managers: faddish hairstyles, lack of dress shirts, aprons and ties; beards and visible tattoos; it looks unprofessional for store employees to have a "ghetto" look: grocery clerks should always be clean-shaven, clean-cut, in dress shirts and ties and wear aprons
7. dented cans of food are common on Wal-Mart shelves

Does Wal-Mart ever inspect stores in Lawton, OK? Does Wal-Mart have a uniform STANDARD for store appearance and employee appearance? Does Wal-Mart have a standard for product quality and freshness? I'm hoping you people will make things nicer for Wal-Mart customers here in Lawton, Oklahoma in the near future.
I would please like a response. I am age 55.

Sincerely,
Jonathan Bailey
X____________________________
Wal-Mart Customer, Lawton, OK

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They make me want to puke to look at them.
Thats a problem with you. Get over yourself.
They are also unsanitary.
Untrue.
grocery clerks should always be clean-shaven, clean-cut, in dress shirts and ties and wear aprons
Why? Dress shirt and tie? For a crap, dead end job where people disrespect them just for having that job? Or, you can quit being a snowflake and get over yourself.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
unsanitary
[ uhn-san-i-ter-ee ]
SEE SYNONYMS FOR unsanitary ON THESAURUS.COM
adjective
not sanitary; unhealthy or unhealthful; tending to harbor or spread disease:unsanitary living conditions.

Definition of unsanitary | Dictionary.com

Are beards dirtier than dogs? 'Significantly' more germs hide in men's beards, study finds

Beards dirtier than dogs? Study says 'significantly' more germs on men
We better get rid of door handles then. And keyboards. They are, afterall, things that contain far more germs than any other items. But you haven't complained of people having to touch door hamdles to get inside a restaurant. And, by the way, dogs are clean animals overall. They even have cleaner mouths than humans. But that doesn't mean our mouths are going to make us sick.

Jonathan Bailey

Walmart Headquarters
702 S.W. 8th St.
Bentonville, AK 72716

Just in case you need to give them a piece of your mind about something that is gnawing at your soul.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
unsanitary
[ uhn-san-i-ter-ee ]
adjective
not sanitary; unhealthy or unhealthful; tending to harbor or spread disease:unsanitary living conditions.

Are beards dirtier than dogs? 'Significantly' more germs hide in men's beards, study finds

I would not give that article too much credence. In many ways it only makes sense. They were counting "disease causing bacteria". And disease causing bacteria are often very species specific. Dogs would be more likely to care bacteria that cause dog diseases and humans would be more likely to carry human causing diseases in their hair and fur.

I am not a fan of beards either. But I do not think that goes so far as to be a phobia for me.

Jonathan Bailey

We better get rid of door handles then. And keyboards. They are, afterall, things that contain far more germs than any other items. But you haven't complained of people having to touch door hamdles to get inside a restaurant. And, by the way, dogs are clean animals overall. They even have cleaner mouths than humans. But that doesn't mean our mouths are going to make us sick.

Yes, I like to go to the restroom and wash my hands with hot soapy water before dining. If a restaurant bathroom lacks hot water and soap, that's a cue that this place is not where I want to bring my business.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes, I like to go to the restroom and wash my hands with hot soapy water before dining. If a restaurant bathroom lacks hot water and soap, that's a cue that this place is not where I want to bring my business.
Too bad for you after you wash your hands you have to touch those germy, filthy door handles to get out of the bathroom.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'm 2 years older than you and so, a different generation. We were the ones who didn't look at superficial things. They called us dirty hippies. But we were also the ones who were against inequality and war.
But those ideas never really got traction and now the US is in wars all over the world. That's the money that could be used for infrastructure.
And inequality got bigger also. Since Reagan every rep government did tax cuts for the rich and the dems did deregulation for big corporation. Low and middle income has stagnated for 30 years. That's why people don't dress for success - because they know there is no success for them.
Want your "good old times" back? Start a new revolution.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
unsanitary
[ uhn-san-i-ter-ee ]
adjective

:facepalm:

Yes, because everyone knows that 18 is a fair sampling size....

Jonathan Bailey

I'm 2 years older than you and so, a different generation. We were the ones who didn't look at superficial things. They called us dirty hippies. But we were also the ones who were against inequality and war.
But those ideas never really got traction and now the US is in wars all over the world. That's the money that could be used for infrastructure.
And inequality got bigger also. Since Reagan every rep government did tax cuts for the rich and the dems did deregulation for big corporation. Low and middle income has stagnated for 30 years. That's why people don't dress for success - because they know there is no success for them.
Want your "good old times" back? Start a new revolution.

I'm what some might call an angry white male. I'm a man. Age 55. Of western European ancestry and not happy about the state of affairs NOW.

My bitterness is justified in my mind.

So, what can us angry white 50+ guys do about any or all of the things that we don't like about NOW?

I vote in elections. I write letters to my elected officials. I write to corporations. I post things on the Web to make others be aware of things.

I'm a messenger of bad news.

Maybe that will all help. Is there more you or I can do?

Back in 1775, some American colonists didn't like the state of affairs then. They did something about it though. It was called a revolution.
It involved gunfire. It involved bloodshed. It involved guts.
It involved a vision of looking and thinking forward.

These are the times that try men's souls.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace.

The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value.

'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death.

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.

We have it in our power to begin the world over again.

The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection.

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.

-Thomas Payne

Could George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, Patrick Henry, Paul Revere, John Adams, Alexander Hamilton and Thomas Payne ever have imagined it would come to this in 2020?
AP19267770597626.jpg

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, since that would be a major health violation that would probably be a very good idea on your part.

And if people in the kitchen were not using hairnets or beardnets where necessary that is a good sign to leave as well.