• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

These times are no good: the human race is rotten

Jonathan Bailey

I am age 55. I am American-born. I served in the army last century. I was raised in middle-to-upper-middle-class communities in coastal northern California. America used to look much more attractive last century. People used to look much more attractive last century. The western free world looked much more attractive last century. There was much less litter in the streets. Infrastructures were nicely kept. People had manners. People were well-dressed. Men were clean-shaven. Beards were the exception and not the rule. Men in business including car salesmen and grocery clerks wore clean shirts and ties. People spoke better English and presented themselves as educated and not dumbed-down. Women were feminine and beautiful and nicely dressed like ladies. People didn't dress like homeless bums as a fashion statement. Stores and restaurants were often very clean and given constant janitorial attention. I worked at a Burger King in 1985. We had to shine the brass railings around the tables in the dining room to perfection with brass polish. Males had to be clean-shaven and clean-cut. No visible tatts were allowed. Management wore clean shirts and ties. Not a spot of squalor in the restaurant would be permitted. Floors were constantly swept and mopped and tables were constantly wiped down with clean, hot soapy towels.

Nowadays people are largely lazy, stupid and uncaring. People look barbaric, like savages, in their decorum and demeanor. People look and act like disgusting pigs. Most consumer manufactured goods are rotten crap made in China sans longevity. Pride in workmanship is long dead. America largely looks ghetto-ish and third-world-like on the surface. Whatever happened to one nation under God? Whatever happened to America the Beautiful? Whatever happened to green well-mown lawns in front of houses that lacked any sign of indoor furniture outside?

Corporate greed was limited back then. Mom and pops flourished back then. The middle class was the norm and not the exception.

Good people make a good world. Rotten people make a rotten world.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Im not sorry you cant mind your own business and ignore things that don't actually affect you and that people aren't living up to your personal standards. I hate the pajamas as regular wear, but I don't have to wear them and I still dress well. But some people hate tattoos and piercings. I have those, and people can bugger off if they have a problem with it.

Jonathan Bailey

Im not sorry you cant mind your own business and ignore things that don't actually affect you.

They do affect me so. They make my very soul feel dead. They make my heart hurt badly. The ugliness of "NOW" causes my eyes, ears and nose to hurt. I'm in this world. It is my business. The world is a sewer.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They do affect me so. They make my very soul feel dead. They make my heart hurt badly. The ugliness of "NOW" causes my eyes, ears and nose to hurt.
Only because you let it. The disposable and instant culture is a problem, because it does waste rescources and goes for speed over quality, but the way people dress you have to let that one affect you, because it can't bother you if you don't let it. Which you shouldn't because it's not your life or your business.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I am age 55. I am American-born. I served in the army last century. I was raised in middle-to-upper-middle-class communities in coastal northern California. America used to look much more attractive last century. People used to look much more attractive last century. The western free world looked much more attractive last century. There was much less litter in the streets. Infrastructures were nicely kept. People had manners. People were well-dressed. Men were clean-shaven. Beards were the exception and not the rule. Men in business including car salesmen and grocery clerks wore clean shirts and ties. People spoke better English and presented themselves as educated and not dumbed-down. Women were feminine and beautiful and nicely dressed like ladies. People didn't dress like homeless bums as a fashion statement. Stores and restaurants were often very clean and given constant janitorial attention. I worked at a Burger King in 1985. We had to shine the brass railings around the tables in the dining room to perfection with brass polish. Males had to be clean-shaven and clean-cut. No visible tatts were allowed. Management wore clean shirts and ties. Not a spot of squalor in the restaurant would be permitted. Floors were constantly swept and mopped and tables were constantly wiped down with clean, hot soapy towels.

Nowadays people are largely lazy, stupid and uncaring. People look barbaric, like savages, in their decorum and demeanor. People look and act like disgusting pigs. Most consumer manufactured goods are rotten crap made in China sans longevity. Pride in workmanship is long dead. America largely looks ghetto-ish and third-world-like on the surface. Whatever happened to one nation under God? Whatever happened to America the Beautiful? Whatever happened to green well-mown lawns in front of houses that lacked any sign of indoor furniture outside?

Corporate greed was limited back then. Mom and pops flourished back then. The middle class was the norm and not the exception.

Good people make a good world. Rotten people make a rotten world.
Well, I think humanity has always been like this under the floorboards.

Along with the vast advances in mass communication, more and more people are now breaking out of what was essentially a cloistered life as they suddenly see the reality of what the world and people themselves are actually like in the raw.

It's a classic case of mass culture shock and information overload all at once.

Like waking up from the matrix.

We've been sold a bill of goods from the past , and now realize what we were told was really a pack of lies.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Nowadays people are largely lazy, stupid and uncaring. People look barbaric, like savages, in their decorum and demeanor. People look and act like disgusting pigs. Most consumer manufactured goods are rotten crap made in China sans longevity. Pride in workmanship is long dead. America largely looks ghetto-ish and third-world-like on the surface. Whatever happened to one nation under God? Whatever happened to America the Beautiful? Whatever happened to green well-mown lawns in front of houses that lacked any sign of indoor furniture outside? Good people make a good world. Rotten people make a rotten world.

Still living in Calif? Maybe it's just the environs you find yourself in. Calif has IMO been going down hill for a while. I heard a report of other folks leaving Calf and find a better life elsewhere. I don't plan in staying in Calif any longer than I have to. Counting the days until I can move to a more "middle-class" friendly state. Or maybe that's a matter of the grass seemly better on the other side of the fence. :shrug:

Jonathan Bailey

Only because you let it. The disposable and instant culture is a problem, because it does waste rescources and goes for speed over quality, but the way people dress you have to let that one affect you, because it can't bother you if you don't let it. Which you shouldn't because it's not your life or your business.

It does bother me. It disgusts me the way people look and act. The way people dress these days is eye pollution. The sight of beards on males in restaurants while I am eating makes me feel nauseous. I don't want facial hair in my food. Why do sanitary laws and health codes or lack thereof permit this kind of dishevelment?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It does bother me. It disgusts me the way people look and act. The way people dress these days is eye pollution. The sight of beards on males in restaurants while I am eating makes me feel nauseous. I don't want facial hair in my food. Why do sanitary laws and health codes or lack thereof permit this kind of dishevelment?
If you only knew my fantasy of being King Richard recklessly chowing down on huge greasy turkey drum sticks at the buffet spitting out the bones as slivers of meat continually roll down my beard.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It disgusts me the way people look and act. The way people dress these days is eye pollution.
Then don't pay attention to them. You have to let yourself and allow yourself to be obsessed over it. Sure, I'll critize people for a lack of self respect, but that doesn't mean I'm obsessing over them and letting them control me while I'm out and about. If they want to be mistaken for the homeless that's on them.

Jonathan Bailey

Still living in Calif? Maybe it's just the environs you find yourself in. Calif has IMO been going down hill for a while. I heard a report of other folks leaving Calf and find a better life elsewhere. I don't plan in staying in Calif any longer than I have to. Counting the days until I can move to a more "middle-class" friendly state. Or maybe that's a matter of the grass seemly better on the other side of the fence. :shrug:

I left CA in 2016. I couldn't afford it there anymore. There were bum-looking people there too in Sacramento County. I lived in Boise, ID until May last year and there were more trashy-looking people there (females with buzz cuts, males with beards, old couches on lawns in front of houses, rusty beater cars in residential neighborhoods) but the Walmarts there were surprisingly clean inside. The increasing rents drove me out of there too. I now live in a crap-hole called Lawton, OK. Things look 100 times worse here but this is all I can afford at the moment. Things are trashy everywhere but Red states even look trashier.

There are a lot of people in southern Oklahoma now with a Southern drawl. This is cultue shock. I was stationed here with the army 30 years ago and most people here in town sounded like northerners. They too were well-dressed back then. Now Southern white trash, folks of color and trashy-looking Native Americans have displaced them. Not a whole lot of Hispanics here. The Asian women run all the barbershops here and all try to push a massage on top of a haircut to squeeze more money out of a customer. I always say no thank you. I believe a barbershop is just that and not a massage parlor. Would you expect a shave or a haircut from a massage parlor? The only clean-shaven/clean-cut and well-dressed people here are the soldiers from Fort Sill and the local policemen. The males in this culture now look like bearded hippies of old. Hair grown out shaggy and beards. It's odd because older movies set in the South, 1960's, display a culture that was barber-happy and razor-happy. Southern men then were religiously clean-cut and clean-shaven. I like that barbershop-fondness mentality.

Last edited:

Flame

Beware
If you only knew my fantasy of being King Richard recklessly chowing down on huge greasy turkey drum sticks at the buffet spitting out the bones as slivers of meat continually roll down my beard.

giphy.gif

:D

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In Bakersfield I have never had it better. The air quality sucks, but compared to Indiana the people are nicer, money and opportunities are way more abundant, and life has been great. Not quite "as it should be," but so much better all my friends and family back in Indiana have noticed a significant improvement in my day-to-day mood.

Stanyon

WWMRD?
It's winter so my beard is pretty well grown out and I like to drink Franziskaner from a drinking horn I made and I like it when the beer flows into my beard, it makes me feel like a viking.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
In Bakersfield I have never had it better. The air quality sucks, but compared to Indiana the people are nicer, money and opportunities are way more abundant, and life has been great. Not quite "as it should be," but so much better all my friends and family back in Indiana have noticed a significant improvement in my day-to-day mood.

Well ok, no plans to move to Indiana then. Watched a travelogue about Indiana because of your comments, yeah lots of abandoned homes and companies for some reason. Wonder what happened.

So compared to Indiana, you win. :)

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This thread I had reminded me of a client I once had. Too obsessed with other peiple and their actions and behaviors, over stuff that really and truly had zero effect on the client, and we worked over a few sessions on the client working on ignoring it all. Eventually the client started to do this, and going out started to become less a chore and hassle, and had far fewer feelings of general negativity.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well ok, no plans to move to Indiana then. Watched a travelogue about Indiana because of your comments, yeah lots of abandoned homes and companies for some reason. Wonder what happened.

Wages are low, the weather sucks, and it's the South in the North in terms of evangelism in general and being mixed with the state and there are still problems with racism, up to the still being sundown towns (straight up avoid Elwood and Alexandria if you aren't white, and Kokomo police are horrible with racism, and Peru and Winimac cops are deranged and violent). It's always had problems with meth, and now opiates are in the picture. Services are few are far between, meetings often begin with prayer (even at school), and even if you're pale white if you don't fit in they often will give you grief. And it's pretty much the only place I know of where employers can and will expect men to have short hair (I took write ups and was threatened to be fired over it in my past life). Definitely, that state sucks.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

Indiana is just farmland, factories, trailer parks, and meth labs.

Jonathan Bailey

Many people in Oklahoma aren't very nice anymore either except for the nice old election volunteer people at the local church where I vote and the gal at the DMV office here. The taxicab outfits here are flat-out horrific in terms of rudeness making me want to use Uber next time. This is a far cry from the sweet old gentleman cabbie (sans southern accent) who picked me up at the local airport in 1989 to take me to Fort Sill as a soldier.