• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

These Students will change US gun landscape

joe1776

The time when NRA lobby and paranoid gun owners blocked stricter gun ownership laws is ending. The path is simple. Reducing gun crimes from legally owned guns to zero and making the state accountable for every life destroyed by a gun the state legally allowed the criminal to possess.
Sorry to disagree but....

Of the settlements made, the negligence lawyers would get 40% and families of the victims 60%. Citizens of the state would pay 100% in taxes.

Something has to be done, but the path is anything but simple.

Nous

Premium Member
. . .making the state accountable for every life destroyed by a gun the state legally allowed the criminal to possess.
Is there a large number of lives destroyed by gun-possessing criminals that states have allowed to possess guns? I haven't seen those data.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Like guns cars kill too. Just making comparisons.

Part of the problem is the glorification of military weapons, siege militia mentality of the NRA.

I am a gun owner and historical gun collector for all my adult life. I attended a gun show last week in Maryland that only allowed antique and historical weapons before 1946.

Aldrnari

Like guns cars kill too. Just making comparisons.

It's true that cars are extremely dangerous, too, which is why states have strict laws and controls in accordance, no? In my state, license renewal (including a drive test) happens every six years. Then there are the issues of car tabs and insurance. Imagine if this were applied to gun owners, and that they had to take a shooting competency test every six years, had to constantly buy tabs for their guns, and buy insurance as well.

Maybe we should start treating them like cars more, no?

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It's true that cars are extremely dangerous, too, which is why states have strict laws and controls in accordance, no? In my state, license renewal (including a drive test) happens every six years. Then there are the issues of car tabs and insurance. Imagine if this were applied to gun owners, and that they had to take a shooting competency test every six years, had to constantly buy tabs for their guns, and buy insurance as well.

Far more strict laws are needed as guns are immensly more dangerous and far less useful than cars.

Compare the utility to risk of fatal accident per mile of car driven in a year vs the utility to risk of fatal accident per unit cartridge discharged by guns on a year.

Audie

Veteran Member
The time when NRA lobby and paranoid gun owners blocked stricter gun ownership laws is ending. The path is simple. Reducing gun crimes from legally owned guns to zero and making the state accountable for every life destroyed by a gun the state legally allowed the criminal to possess.

Do you actually think that 50 or so million Americans are
"paranoid"?

Is it a reasonable thing to say, coming from one who wishes to present
a reasoned solution to a problem?

My boyfriend and my (step) dad are not paranoid goons.

For that matter, the period of time when I kept a weapon at home was
in response to a home invasion that I fortunately survived. Now I
live with a guy who would protect me, and, a break in would be all
but impossible anyway. I dont like guns. But I know they have a very significant role in protecting
and preventing crimes.

If something so terrible as that home invasion were to happen,
you, like me, would a lot rather have a steady man with a gun between
you, or me, and them than you know, some alternative.. Its true!
No "parania" needed! :D

I feel you are being unrealistic and unfair-there is always push back
so if you want improved safety, as actually we all do, plz be more nuanced and realisic,
and we will all have a better chance of getting what we want.

Gun owners, btw, dont want gun crime any more than you or anyone else does..
A bit less, really. They are the ones who stand to lose the most
from draconian restrictions, after all.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Well given the present death statistics for cars, that says a lot for Safety and Security measures. That's part of the argument I'm trying to make.

The whole point of these kind of protests are people stating they want to see deaths reduced to zero (not realistic) or whatever could be considered as acceptable levels (more realistic).

As i stated in earlier posts, I'm not against reasonable additional regulation that would have people better trained and more responsible with firearms and have some components made illegal on a civilian firearm. If they only go that far, that's okay. But such a safety program needs to be accessible to everybody who wants to own a gun not just a few in order to preserve the Second Amendment.

Like cars, there would have to be a acceptable death standard established where guns are no longer vilified like cars are.

What is then, an acceptable death toll for guns?

There has to be a number somewhere because cars are not vilified in spite of all the deaths that occur on a daily basis that includes women and children.

Curious George

Veteran Member

How old do you have to be to own a car?

Aldrnari

Far more strict laws are needed as guns are immensly more dangerous and far less useful than cars.

Compare the utility to risk of fatal accident per mile of car driven in a year vs the utility to risk of fatal accident per unit cartridge discharged by guns on a year.

I would agree, though I think mile vs. cartridge seems a bit of a false equivalency to me... Then again, so does comparing a car to a gun, imo. o_O

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

That means there's a an acceptable death standard somewhere. What do you think it should be for guns? Same for cars?