• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

These states cut unemployment aid early to supercharge hiring. It isn't working.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They need to do it for you at cost?

Just send me a new battery. I'm a big boy. Just unseal the damm phone.

Sorry Charlie. Battery is permanently sealed inside. Gotta get a new phone or servicing. ...
I knew Iphones were serviced that way when I bought
the first one. It's a system that works for me.

Sometimes obsolescence is the nature of the industry.
Phones are complex rapidly advancing technologies.
I expect to upgrade every few years. It's better than
being mired down in an older technology that lasts
too long.
We also wouldn't want the cars of 50 years ago to
still be on the road. Fuel economy, emissions, &
durability have improved.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
....we now have crappy cheap worthless goods by the bucket load.
A big reason we have this situation is that too many
consumers but the cheapest thing they can find.
How many would pay $1000 for a bicycle at a real
bike store? Most go to a big box store to by a $150
bike from China that can't be serviced well because
the low quality parts are all proprietary.
We consumers have a responsibility to buy less but
better quality stuff.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Any auto manufacturer could produce a car that lasts 50 - 75 years, for about the same price as what they produce now, that only lasts 20 years. NONE of them are doing so, and none of them will. Because making better cars is NOT THEIR GOAL. Providing better value for the money is not their goal, either. Neither is selling more cars. Their goal is generating the maximum profit on the capital they've invested in car-building. NONE of them are going to deviate from that goal. NONE of them are going to start building better cars, or even good cheap cars.
50 years? Unless you baby a car and take exceptionally good care of it and drive it little there are a ton of reasons do not last 50 or more years. Most cars don't even last 20, and that's not necessarily through fault of the car.
Now, yes, there are some bad designs out there, amd some just really dumb, but there are some dumb consumer habits as well such as buying new cars. And driving a car hard. And not following the proper maintenance schedule.
And you know what a good, cheap car is called? Toyota. They are cheap to maintain, easy to work on, and regularly expected to keep running after 200,000 miles (miles are the test of time for a car, not months and years). They also make Lexus and Scion, which are good cars with a solid history of longevity (because they're Toyota).
And, really, it's not so much the car as it is all the mechanical and moving pieces that make up a car that don't last.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They need to do it for you at cost?

Just send me a new battery. I'm a big boy. Just unseal the damm phone.

Sorry Charlie. Battery is permanently sealed inside. Gotta get a new phone or servicing. ...
It's not that easy. You need to melt the glue to take the screen off (and do it without ruining the display), and then work with a world of tiny, tedious pieces.
This is by design, to intentionally and deliberately make these things harder to fix, even very difficult to fix one thing without breaking another.
Older tablets and phones are ok. But from about a few years ago on they took a precipitous climb in difficulty.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's not that easy. You need to melt the glue to take the screen off (and do it without ruining the display), and then work with a world of tiny, tedious pieces.
This is by design, to intentionally and deliberately make these things harder to fix, even very difficult to fix one thing without breaking another.
Older tablets and phones are ok. But from about a few years ago on they took a precipitous climb in difficulty.
Other reasons for glue are package size, strength, function,
& cost. When I designed battery powered surgical tools,
the polysulfone housing halves were ultrasonically bonded.
There was no way to service them without destroying the
housing, which had to be done at the factory. Batteries
were quick-detachable though.
Why?
- Sealing for sterilization by both ethylene oxide & steam.
- Package size
- Strength
- Appearance
We were half the price of the competition, but with no
sacrifice of quality. Superior design can be that way.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Other reasons for glue are package size, strength, function,
& cost. When I designed battery powered surgical tools,
the polysulfone housing halves were ultrasonically bonded.
There was no way to service them without destroying the
housing, which had to be done at the factory. Batteries
were quick-detachable though.
Why?
- Sealing for sterilization by both ethylene oxide & steam.
- Package size
- Strength
- Appearance
We were half the price of the competition, but with no
sacrifice of quality. Superior design can be that way.
These ones that became harder to work on, thats also around when they started catching fire. And they are basically puzzle-pieced together and built because everything is so small amd there is very little open space. And you didn't always have to mess with the screen or such a challenge. I've done plenty of older phones amd tablets that are just taking screws out, unplugging the old battery, inserting the new, and close it back up.
Now they often don't even have any screws to take out to open them up.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
These ones that became harder to work on, thats also around when they started catching fire. And they are basically puzzle-pieced together and built because everything is so small amd there is very little open space. And you didn't always have to mess with the screen or such a challenge. I've done plenty of older phones amd tablets that are just taking screws out, unplugging the old battery, inserting the new, and close it back up.
Now they often don't even have any screws to take out to open them up.
People always be wanting things smaller.
I like'm bigger. It's easier on the engineers.

PureX

Veteran Member
You and I are also not talking about the same thing, so I see no point in proceeding. You seem to be considering only venture capitalists, which is largely people who don't work for what they receive from their investment (capital gains).
Your are focusing a different tangent related to the size of a business enterprise as opposed to it's structure. Sure, a one-man investor (called the 'owner') of a small business enterprise will be far more likely to make decisions with consideration to the well-being of his hew employees than a large business with many employees, and many absentee investors. The more ignorance that exists between those in control, and those being controlled, the more likely the former will exploit the latter. And I do understand and recognize that there are many small business that that try not to exploit anyone, because they have to face those people every day.

But nearly every one of those small businesses is trying to get bigger. And the bigger they get, the more distance there will be between those who make the decisions, and those who are being effected by them. And that means that the instances of exploitation and abuse will increase as well. And this is the natural course of capitalism. Because the ideal business under a capitalist system is an abject monopoly.

I think you really want to sugar coat this, and hide it behind some nostalgia for the mom & pop version of a capitalist business enterprise. But as my friend Mike used to say; "anyone can be a hero when he has little to lose. If you really want to see what someone is about, give them massive success". Because it's power (control) that corrupts, not subsistence.

I'm talking about an economic system promoting free enterprise.
But capitalism does NOT promote free enterprise. CAPITAL INVESTMENT PROMOTES BUSINESS ENTERPRISE, NOT CAPITALISM. Capitalism stifles free enterprise by giving all the decision-making power to the capital investor.

Somebody opening their home to children for day care is also competing for dollars, even if their is no capital investment. That, too, is capitalism.
Yes, it is capitalism because that owner has all the decision-making power (control over the business enterprise). And that owner can abuse that power any time for any reason he/she wishes. And the bigger that business enterprise becomes, the more likely it will be that abuse will occur.
Free enterprise. Self-employment. Offering a service at a price in a milieu of competing day care centers according to the relative value of that service to its intended market, the parents of young kids. If the day care provider is innovative, efficient, and/or industrious, he or she will generate more profit than if not. If an employee is needed, that person is also participating in the market vending labor and skills. The employee that can offer the most for the least will be the one thriving best.
One can abuse others for profit in a small business just as they can in a large one. All they need is the willingness to do so and an exploitable 'victim'. I don;t know where you're generating this nostalgia for capitalist fair trade. Capitalism is not designed to inspire far trade.
But that aspect of capitalism is of no interest to you, probably because it doesn't support you bad capitalism narrative (I hope you don't mind me now taking the liberty of discussing you instead of economics).
It's mostly a fantasy. Sure, some small businesses are run very fairly and equitably. But that's not because of capitalism. It's IN SPITE of it.