• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There was meant to be nothing rather than something

The Transcended Omniverse

This universe was never meant to be. If you think about it, it makes no sense for there to be anything at all. As a matter of fact, it would make no sense to say that there was a God who existed and created this universe. Therefore, this universe existing is all lies. None of it is real. Everything should be complete nothingness. The fact that things do exist (including a God) simply means that it is an act and is all fake. None of it actually exists.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This universe was never meant to be. If you think about it, it makes no sense for there to be anything at all. As a matter of fact, it would make no sense to say that there was a God who existed and created this universe. Therefore, this universe existing is all lies. None of it is real. Everything should be complete nothingness. The fact that things do exist (including a God) simply means that it is an act and is all fake. None of it actually exists.
Form dosent exist as form only. Same goes for the universe because it's identified through its characteristics for which the universe is identified as such. Someday it will be gone.

Nothingness only comes about thru the characteristics by which we identify as being nothing.

David T

Premium Member
How is this not reductionism?

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student

Something asserted with no evidence can be dismissed with no evidence.

A Vestigial Mote

Makes no difference whether it "makes sense" or not. The universe is. We are. The ability to perceive the perceivable, even if that perception is only given by the very thing being perceived (matter/energy of the universe) - is all still "something." The only "nothing" I see here is the idea behind your OP.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

I think there is something to that, we already know that the perception of solid matter is 'fake', everything perceived by our senses, light, sound, and superficial physical effects- all mere illusions of sorts

But we still need a source for the information that creates these illusions

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It makes just as much sense for things to exist as for no things to exist.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
This universe was never meant to be.
The word "meant" implies some sort of agency, which I see less evidence for than the universe existing.
The reason that there is something, rather than nothing, is god. Whatever that reason might be, and as far beyond our understanding as it is. I call it God, simply for lack of a better word.
Tom

David T

Premium Member
How is it reductionism?
Take that what is and reduce it to nothing. The question is like starting with a pan of water and asking why is there water in the pan why isn't there no water in the pan? Its called evaporation magic. You are right Wilimena it's dumber than reductionism its not even wrong. At least reductionism has context most of the time until big questions.

The Transcended Omniverse

Take that what is and reduce it to nothing. The question is like starting with a pan of water and asking why is there water in the pan why isn't there no water in the pan? Its called evaporation magic. You are right Wilimena it's dumber than reductionism its not even wrong. At least reductionism has context most of the time until big questions.

Actually, it would be like having a pan of water, saying that this pan of water was never meant to be, and saying that it actually does not exist at all.

David T

Premium Member
And your saying it's not a reductive mechanical question? He asked specifically why does the physical exist! To even ask that is to reduce physical to an askable question as it's used. There is no scientific evidence that the physical itself isn't but unbounded infinitely larger than the term in scale yet the question assumes it literally is bounded. Reductionism. Because we create words that allude to we tend to reduce those things alluded to into reduced objects linguistically and then manipulate those linguistic pointers that are only things alluded to. Like cosmos, physical, nature, god etc! All topics bigger than their terms we create.

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
The word "meant" implies some sort of agency, which I see less evidence for than the universe existing.
The reason that there is something, rather than nothing, is god. Whatever that reason might be, and as far beyond our understanding as it is. I call it God, simply for lack of a better word.
Tom

So why are you not a deist then?

David T

Premium Member
Actually, it would be like having a pan of water, saying that this pan of water was never meant to be, and saying that it actually does not exist at all.
Sorry reality doesn't start with the human crAnium and it is manifesting reality. I know thats completely contradictory to normalacy, the university and culture in general but it's an obvious fact if you actually have ever actually have gotten out a bit. Life is bigger than your brain but in this day and age you are normal. Phd material I believe!!!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
So why are you not a deist then?
I am, mostly.
I generally identify as deist, although agnostic atheist is so similar that works too, in nearly all contexts.
Sometimes it's just simpler not to go into the details.
I can also identify as a cultural Christian under other circumstances, although I am careful to avoid giving people the wrong idea about my theological opinions so I don't do that with people who don't know me.
Tom

CogentPhilosopher

Philosophy Student
I am, mostly.
I generally identify as deist, although agnostic atheist is so similar that works too, in nearly all contexts.
Sometimes it's just simpler not to go into the details.
I can also identify as a cultural Christian under other circumstances, although I am careful to avoid giving people the wrong idea about my theological opinions so I don't do that with people who don't know me.
Tom

Oh your a cultural Christian! Please forgive my confusion.