• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is still some unity left; [Paris]

Nyiix

I don't really think an additional explanation is needed.

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic4.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic6.jpg

pic7.jpg

It makes me happy to see that there is still some feeling of universal unity, equality and compassion left.

Let us not forget that we are, after all, one.

Last edited:

MARCELLO

Transitioning from male to female
Just weeks ago ,ISIS killed more than a hundred in Turkey and just a few days ago ISIS killed half a hundred in Lebanon. Where was your mind then? Where was your unity either?

You will never understand,that's for sure.,I live among terrorists,so called. Why do you think I can still hang around in city center of a country of sheria origin without any problem? Have you ever been offered hand made fresh fruit juices by terrorists?

MARCELLO

SkylarHunter

I guess an explanation is severely needed. Why did not you this for Lebanese and Turks?

I suppose that's because Lebanon, Turkey, Yemen, etc, are countries where violence is common and people are no longer surprised about it. In Europe this is very unusual. I'm not saying that I agree though. All lives should have the same value no matter where they are from.

Laika

Premium Member
I guess an explanation is severely needed. Why did not you this for Lebanese and Turks?

DebateSlayer's thread covers this topic. http://www.religiousforums.com/threads/all-lives-are-equal-but-some-are-more-equal-than-others.181645/

it is a regrettable bias in the (western) media that western lives are more valued than the lives of Turks and Lebanese. This is because it continues to reflect colonial views that they are 'savage' peoples who are naturally prone to violence or a semi-permanant state of victimhood. it is wrong. In so far as the "french" tragedy has gained world-wide attention, I still think it is good that there is some solidarity being expressed on this. I wish we had a media that did address these issues so we cared about everyone as members of the human race. its something of a relief because I hope there isn't a backlash as that will only make things worse.

MARCELLO

I suppose that's because Lebanon, Turkey, Yemen, etc, are countries where violence is common and people are no longer surprised about it. In Europe this is very unusual. I'm not saying that I agree though. All lives should have the same value no matter where they are from.
I even worked in Yemen,Sanaa,the capital for 3 months where I stayed with the only left community of Jews in a special compound,numbering about half a thousand Jews . Your unusuals are your own unusuals. There is no violence over there. Sure there is a violance,but that has nothing to do with the non muslim community. That's daily violance no more than what we encounter in L.A.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
There is unity, more and more people are recognizing that these false flags keep happening. :oops:

MARCELLO

But the lost lives never ever meant the same,pls stop denying that. By the way,I have never heart that Lebanon and Turkey are the countries known for violence,maybe you are watching too much biased movies and/or videos? The official language of Lebanon is French as it was a former French colony.

Pls,explain me why you did not protest on front page news when ISIS killed in Turkey and ''your '' Lebanon'' ? Does terror only mean if it takes in ''your '' Paris'' ?

For these two days, I am accompanied with lots of gendarme here,just to make sure that I am not killed since I am a christian ,the embassies are calling me every second so that they make sure they will not be blamed for anything. '' We warned you ''

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
... while hundreds are killed every day in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Syria in unrest and civil wars that developed countries helped to fuel without much mourning on the side of developed countries, and we have only just now seen this sort of "universal" unity and selective compassion.

Sorry, but I'm a bit cynical and skeptical here. I will only view it as universal compassion when it is actually universal.

Nyiix

It makes me sad to see that my post - whose only goal was to show international compassion for the (mostly) French people - sparked so much controversy.. but okej.. here we go.

Just weeks ago ,ISIS killed more than a hundred in Turkey and just a few days ago ISIS killed half a hundred in Lebanon. Where was your mind then? Where was your unity either?

You will never understand,that's for sure.,I live among terrorists,so called. Why do you think I can still hang around in city center of a country of sheria origin without any problem? Have you ever been offered hand made fresh fruit juices by terrorists?

First of all I would like to say that it makes me extremely sad that you portray me (and probably most other so-called Western-Europeans) as self centered people whose only interest is the Western world because we express our sadness and condolences in this way. I gave you no reason to think this, thus the conclusion you drew lacks the evidence to back it up.

Secondly, you say: 'Just weeks ago ,ISIS killed more than a hundred in Turkey and just a few days ago ISIS killed half a hundred in Lebanon. Where was your mind then? Where was your unity either?' Let me cover them one by one.

It is definitely true, ISIS did kill hundreds, even thousands of people during the last weeks/months in multiple countries, sowing discontent, fear and destruction everywhere they go. Sadly they have not been stopped/dealt with yet and I'm afraid that the future will bring more stories like this. However, does it mean that I don't feel pity/compassion for others just because I didn't write a post about it? Is it really a simple post that determines if I feel anything? Let's get real here, of course it is not.

Hundreds, if not more people are killed every single day all around the world. Not only the places that we hear about, like Paris, Yemen or Mexico, but also places that are forgotten by the general population; like Colombia, North Korea and Albania. Family ties destroyed, children being pulled away from their parents and women being raped. These are all things that are happening right now as I am typing this. Just because you, me or whoever doesn't make a POST [come on really. a simple, textual post] about it doesn't mean that we don't care about it, or that it shouldn't be mentioned.

Why did I mention Paris then?

Paris (just a few hours away from here), or should I say France in general, has a little special place in my heart. I have visited Paris many times, climbed the gigantic Eiffel tower, drank a cold beer on a few of its many terraces, avoided the billions of little Eiffel tower sellers, laughed and joked with its inhabitants, took pictures of random strangers who asked for it and walked down the Champs-Élysées with my whole french class while we were proudly singing La Marseillaise, a beautiful song that isn't even our own. The city has a special feeling and just walking there makes me feel proud of a history I do not share and was never part of. To hear that such a beautiful city was attacked and that its innocent population was terrorized by some extremists tore me (and many others) apart. I know that sharing or writing a post about it doesn't help, but I can at least express my sincere condolences to the people who went through this hell. If you don't agree with this, so be it, I won't change it. I have a certain bond with that country and its people, something I don't have with others (have never been to Yemen). But, as I said earlier, just because I mention this and not something else doesn't show the so-called Western Ignorance and its egocentricity or contradict that all people are equal, and that all deaths have the same impact. I thought this was common sense.

Next up, you mention Unity.

Unity doesn't disappear, it can only be suppressed or strengthened. If we take a look at France; a world power throughout history, member of both the EU, the UN and NATO and a big player when it comes down to economic, military and diplomatic prosperity. What happens in/to this country directly impacts the world. Another big factor is that even though it is completely secular, the population itself is mostly Catholic, thus bonds with other Catholic (USA/UK/Germany and so on) are strong. There is not only voluntary.. but also forced unity, as the one country can drag down all others if the cards are played well/horribly (depends on ones views).

Countries like Syria, Turkey and Yemen unfortunately don't have these 'positives', they are countries that don't excel in any of the field I previously mentioned, thus the world's interest in them is limited. To add to this constant political instability/civil wars/thread from other countries makes the situation very difficult. Their religion also separates them from the rest of developed world (a term I don't like to use as it implies inferior countries, which is not the case), and thus forcing the borders even further and making diplomacy and UNITY more difficult.

Does this mean that a life in France is worth more than a life in Yemen/Syria/Turkey? Economically speaking yes, definitely, something which, as I already said, I COMPLETELY OPPOSE.

To summarize

Just because I didn't post something about some other catastrophe doesn't immediately mean that I either don't care or am not interested in that. So before you regard me as another 'westerner who only cares about himself and his own country' realize that that might just not be the case.

All lives are equal and should be treated as such. Mutual respect and appreciation is key.