• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no Truth, and if there was you don't have it.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Well I was talking about something specific, but facts are empirically based.

Fact - Wikipedia

Empirical means of the senses.

Empirical evidence - Wikipedia
Of the senses, yes. 'Facts' that are not observed (verified) and observable (true and actual) are called fiction, of whichever type (including prediction, inference, and imagining).

Each particular, each specific thing, can be poised objectively or subjectively--neither is inherent. I could point at anything and say a way in which it actually is and a way in which it can be applied meaningfully.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Of the senses, yes. 'Facts' that are not observed (verified) and observable (true and actual) are called fiction, of whichever type (including prediction, inference, and imagining).

Each particular, each specific thing, can be poised objectively or subjectively--neither is inherent. I could point at anything and say a way in which it actually is and a way in which it can be applied meaningfully.

But you can't say how it actually is, as the brain takes the input from the world around and re-frames everything.

Now, just to clear things up, I am not suggesting that things disappear when no one is looking at them or that they don't exist if nothing perceives them, but that the state of being objective is a shared category between the object and the observer. The senses work because they interact with the world around us, we classify things as objective based on that interaction, without it there is no objectivity. An object cannot be said to have certain empirical qualities if there is nothing around to interact with this qualities.

Take this old philosophical question: "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

The answer is no. We know enough about sound now to know that it is vibrations in air that are heard. If there is no one around to hear it, then it is just vibrations in the air, as there is no interaction with an ear. For it to be sound it would need that interaction.

Objectivity is a label, and in this label we say this phenomenon has certain observed characteristics.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But you can't say how it actually is, as the brain takes the input from the world around and re-frames everything.
That's the reason that you CAN say how it actually is--because brains have always been this way, never ever not been this way, so this IS the framework for the concepts involved, and in fact the context in which the whole language evolved.

It's not like there is an alternative reality beyond our senses. "Reality" refers to nothing more than what is evident to the senses and the tools we use to extend our senses. Anything more is, by definition, imaginary.

Now, just to clear things up, I am not suggesting that things disappear when no one is looking at them or that they don't exist if nothing perceives them, but that the state of being objective is a shared category between the object and the observer. The senses work because they interact with the world around us, we classify things as objective based on that interaction, without it there is no objectivity. An object cannot be said to have certain empirical qualities if there is nothing around to interact with this qualities.
The senses work because they ARE "the world around us." Our body is a part of the world that is being sensed, not distinct from it. The senses cannot help but provide input that is the true and actual world, because what is "true and actual" depends on that for its meaning.

What you describe above makes for the world to be exterior, rather than objective. They are not the same thing. Objectivity refers to truth, not what is exteriorized. But if that's where this conversation is leading, I may drop it.

Take this old philosophical question: "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

The answer is no. We know enough about sound now to know that it is vibrations in air that are heard. If there is no one around to hear it, then it is just vibrations in the air, as there is no interaction with an ear. For it to be sound it would need that interaction.

Objectivity is a label, and in this label we say this phenomenon has certain observed characteristics.
I'm not sure what connection you are drawing between the example of the tree in the forest and objectivity. "We are informed about the sounds trees make when they fall." -->Objectivity is the meta-picture, it is that picture, or any picture that we draw in words or thought, being true. By contrast, subjectivity is that same picture but painted with additional meaning, be it personal (ostensibly about others but, in fact, about how we ourselves are feeling or thinking), non-literal or figurative. The former (facts) are true regardless of what we think of them.

DavidFirth

Conclusion: There is truth in the Absolute if one allows for the Absolute. Otherwise there is no truth.

Clearly jeremiahcp and willamena do not and probably cannot comprehend the Absolute.

The thread title is therefore incorrect.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
"The Absolute" is the firm and very real conviction that the senses provide a picture that is incomplete or "flawed" in some way. It is unsupportable. It is a conviction of Cartesian convention, nothing more.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
Conclusion: There is truth in the Absolute if one allows for the Absolute. Otherwise there is no truth.

Clearly jeremiahcp and willamena do not and probably cannot comprehend the Absolute.

The thread title is therefore incorrect.

I like how you pretend you are following the thread, it's cute.

DavidFirth

"The Absolute" is the firm and very real conviction that the senses provide a picture that is incomplete or "flawed" in some way. It is unsupportable. It is a conviction of Cartesian convention, nothing more.

Your definition is flawed, therefore your conclusion is flawed.

I give up. You guys have fun.

Ponder This

"The truth of the truth is that it doesn't exist, sorry but that is the honest truth."

I'd believe you... but I get the distinct impression that you aren't telling me the truth.:p

Repox

Truth Seeker
Thank you! I'm tired of people going "Oh no, I KNOW the truth, I can feel it." Like that has some sort of merit.

But, who really knows? Maybe we'll find the truth someday. But, from what I gather, nobody has the truest truth.
Hey, I found truth! I just ate it. It was a steak sandwich. It disappeared from the plate when I ate it. That is the truth!

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Hey, I found truth! I just ate it. It was a steak sandwich. It disappeared from the plate when I ate it. That is the truth!

"I don't think we're here for anything, we're just products of evolution. You can say 'Gee, your life must be pretty bleak if you don't think there's a purpose' but I'm anticipating a good lunch." - James Watson

InChrist

Free4ever
None of you have the truth and you never will. The truth of the truth is that it doesn't exist, sorry but that is the honest truth. This is not solipsism, as solipsism recognizes at least one truth, the sad fact is when everyone claims they have the the truth then no one has the truth. The subjectively greedy want to suck up all the truth for themselves and in doing so have made it so no one can have truth anymore. If you want to have your truth back then everyone needs to share, sorry but that is the truth of it.
But of course, your view expressed here is the TRUTH, right?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So, if everything you say is admittedly a lie what is your point in saying anything at all about truth?

He's paraphrasing an ancient Greek chestnut. The statement presents a logical paradox: If everything he says is a lie, then he is lying then, meaning that at least some things that he says are true.