• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is NO Historical Evidence for Jesus

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
tiresome ?

You are the one who is avoiding and inventing excuses for not supporting your assertions.

We´ve been over 10 post dancing around this.

If you made an assertion you are supposed to support it, regardless if I am being honest or not……..

Don’t you think that other people that are following the thread might be interested in gaining this information that you have?

:p:p:p:p:p
i know. and you only keep confirming that you cannot be an honest interlocutor. You do not have to admit to anything that you did not already admit to. You keep making it unnecessary for me to provide you with then answer that you wish.

Why is it so hard for you to be just a little bit honest?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Then do it

This thread is full of random assertions that you have failed to support,

1 your assertions that there are other sources apart from Josephus confirming the date of the Census at 6AD

2 your assertion about the Illiad

3 your assertion about “mundane claims” in paul and the gospels

4 your assertion that the documents whent trough a process of homogenization

( the process of making things uniform or similar.
Look at that. More false claims. Nope, there is no need for me do provide you with that. You are now either lying or admitting that you ignored posts. One or the other.

leroy

i know. and you only keep confirming that you cannot be an honest interlocutor. You do not have to admit to anything that you did not already admit to. You keep making it unnecessary for me to provide you with then answer that you wish.

Why is it so hard for you to be just a little bit honest?
Honest about what?

And please be clear and direct…………..

leroy

Look at that. More false claims. Nope, there is no need for me do provide you with that. You are now either lying or admitting that you ignored posts. One or the other.
Weeks ago (when we were in the 6ad thing) I gave you he benefit of the doubt and “admitted” that maybe I skipped your post where you supported your claim………. What else do you want ?...... didn’t you (and still don’t) send me a link to that post or simply repeat your “evidnce”?

But since you keep inventing excuses for not supporting your sources, I have no other choice but to conclude that you are simply making things up.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Weeks ago (when we were in the 6ad thing) I gave you he benefit of the doubt and “admitted” that maybe I skipped your post where you supported your claim………. What else do you want ?...... didn’t you (and still don’t) send me a link to that post or simply repeat your “evidnce”?

But since you keep inventing excuses for not supporting your sources, I have no other choice but to conclude that you are simply making things up.
LOL! No, that is you. I told you what you had to do and why. The solution has not changed. Only your attempts to go by it. The answer you requested is known to all.

You do not get information for free when you refuse to debate properly. Why is that so hard for you to understand?

leroy

LOL! No, that is you. I told you what you had to do and why. The solution has not changed. Only your attempts to go by it. The answer you requested is known to all.

You do not get information for free when you refuse to debate properly. Why is that so hard for you to understand?
:D:D:D:D:D:D

Non sequitur, pointless.
It’s far from pointless to point out your clear misrepresentation of source material.
I did, I presented many many instances and types of anti-pagan practices. All you did was produce one report saying archaeologists found less temples may have been actually destroyed

Either you can’t read or understand your own sources, or you are deliberately misrepresenting them.

Either way it makes discussion pointless.

I presented several peer reviewed sources then started to use your sources to show how you misrepresented them and that there is a strong academic consensus against the Gibbonian narrative based on an uncritical reading of Christian propaganda.

That you pretend this is “one report” is silly.

Not talking about today. Anti-paganism in Rome was a big thing.

You were unable to grasp how religious buildings can disappear over time without being destroyed.

I gave you an example that you can see with your own eyes today. You were still unable to grasp it and insisted a regime that does not actively save bankrupt religious institutions should be seen as having a strategy of destroying them.

Heresies that completely change the doctrine would not survive.

Yet many do survive in all kinds of sources.

Many survive because theologians bothered to try to refute them and thus obviously must have had copies to refute.

No one tries to refute mythicism though.

The idea that there was a well known belief that Jesus didn’t exist, yet there remains not a trace of it anywhere is unlikely.

Why didn’t Jewish critics notice he was just a made up figure from Jewish scripture and that many people knew he was never real?

That this super heresy didn’t survive in all the factionalism is unlikely.

No, all of the examples I gave supported my

If you lack the wit to differentiate between evidence that supports your claim that Christians destroyed all temples of all religions and all non-canonical material, and that which supports my claim that there was some oppression and violence which varied by time and place but you massively overstated it and paganism declined for a variety of reasons over the best part of half a millennium and many trends started before the rise of Christianity then I can’t help you.

If you can’t see nuance, just black and white, you’ll never understand anything with any degree of ambiguity.

Can lead a horse to water…

Ironically you are desperately defending an uncritical reading of Christian propaganda in the face of overwhelming secular historical evidence against its veracity.

I’ll leave you with these, all from sources you introduced as reliable, and I’ll leave it to others to decide if these convincingly support your claim that an all powerful church destroyed all temples of all religions and all non-canonical texts:

As it now becomes more and more accepted in Late Antique Studies to discard the triumphalist overtones of our Christian sources and to view religious transformation as a gradual and complex process, in which violence only rarely erupted…

The archaeological evidence that has now been collected for most parts of the Roman Empire, however, shows overwhelmingly that the destruction of temples and their reuse as churches were exceptional rather than routine events… it becomes clear that [many claimed] incidents occurred in specific local, socio-political circumstances

contemporary scholars… view the process as a long decline that began in the second century, before the emperors were themselves Christian, and which continued into the seventh century. This latter view contends that there was less conflict between pagans and Christians than was previously supposed…[13] In the twenty-first century, the idea that Christianity became dominant through conflict with paganism has become marginalized… The belief that Late Antiquity witnessed the death of paganism and the triumph of monotheism, as a succession of Christian emperors from Constantine to Theodosius II played out their God-given role of abolishing paganism, is not actual history but is, instead, a "representation" of the history of the age created by "a brilliant generation of Christian writers, polemicists and preachers in the last decade of this period"… The Theodosian Law Code has long been one of the principal sources for the study of Late Antiquity.[223] It is an incomplete[224]: 106 [225] collection of laws dating from the reign of Constantine to the date of their promulgation as a collection in 438. Religious laws are in book 16. The code contains at least sixty-six laws targeted at heretics…
Contemporary scholars question using the Code, which was a legal document and not an historical work, for understanding history.[227] According to archaeologist Luke Lavan, reading law as history distorts understanding of what actually occurred during the fourth century.[228]: xxi, 138 [158] There are many signs that a healthy paganism continued into the fifth century, and in some places, into the sixth and beyond.[229]: 108–110 [230][231][232]: 165–167  [233]: 156  Christian hostility toward pagans and their monuments is seen by most modern scholars as far from the general phenomenon that the law and literature implies…

Lavan and Mulryan indicate that archaeological evidence of religious conflict exists, but not to the degree or the intensity to which it was previously thought,
putting the traditional catastrophic view of "Christian triumphalism" in doubt.[233]: 41  Rita Lizzi Testa, Professor of Roman history, Michele Renee Salzman, and Marianne Sághy quote Alan Cameronas saying that the idea that religious conflict is the cause of the swift demise of paganism is pure historiographical construction.[166

Brown and others such as Noel Lenski[242] and Glen Bowersock say that "For all their propaganda, Constantine and his successors did not bring about the end of paganism".[243] It continued.[244][245] Previously undervalued similarities in language, society, religion, and the arts, as well as current archaeological research, indicate that paganism slowly declined for a full two centuries and more in some places, thereby offering an argument for the ongoing vibrancy of Roman culture in late antiquity, and its continued unity and uniqueness long after the reign of Constantine.[13]: 

Last edited:

leroy

You do not get information for free when you refuse to debate properly.
The difference between you and I is that I can quote exactly where you were being dishonest and using improper debate “methods”

You cant do that with me, you can´t quote a single lie nor anywhere where I was debating improperly,

I can (and have done it) quote and show your mistakes, you can´t do anything like that with me,

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The difference between you and I is that I can quote exactly where you were being dishonest and using improper debate “methods”

You cant do that with me, you can´t quote a single lie nor anywhere where I was debating improperly,

I can (and have done it) quote and show your mistakes, you can´t do anything like that with me,
No you can't.

And no, you were given plenty of warnings and plenty of chances. So this post of yours is just another example of you arguing dishonestly.

joelr

That Mark is using Paul is not the view of the majority of historians
Lot of issues here. First you are using a fallacy from scholars who you not only don't study but don't agree with.
So it is an appeal to authority because you are not using any evidence to back your statement up. What is the evidence the "majority of scholars" use to disagree that Mark does not use Paul?

Next is you are using a consensus of people you VASTLY do not agree with. The overwhelming consensus is Jesus was a man, mythicized into a Hellenistic savior demigod.

"All mainstream scholars agree Jesus as demigod is a mythical savior deity. They all agree the Gospels are myths about him. They simply conclude that those myths contain some kernels of fact, and that Jesus was originally not a flying, magic-wielding supergod. But they agree the super-Jesus, the only Jesus about whom we have any accounts at all, didn’t exist. They think some mundane Jesus did, who was dressed up with those legends and beliefs later. But that still admits he belongs to a reference class that the Hannibals of the world do not: that of mythically-attested savior gods who speak to their followers in dreams and visions. So we actually need more evidence for Jesus than we have for Hannibal, to be sure Jesus isn’t just like all other mythical savior gods, who also had amazing stories about them set on earth history, and who also appeared to people in dreams and visions—yet never plausibly existed."
Carrier

Also A historian - Ehrman - is saying straight out, you cannot prove miracles historically, it's a faith belief only.

Finally, you don't appeal to scholarship, you appeal to evidence. Scholarship isn't a static thing. No scientist believed relativity then they all did. It changes with information. None were mythicists now over 30 are.

So, first you have to look at the new compilation of evidence:
The principal works to consult on this (all of which from peer reviewed academic presses) are:

Which Carrier sums up here"

I presented some of the information to you in a past post and you had no way to demonstrate it was false or presented counter arguments. In fact some of the examples like the last supper are such clear proof I don't see how you can avoid this?
Jesus, while in a vision, clearly said to Paul a message to future Christians about him being the "body and blood"......and Mark had Jesus say it while human again, on earth, at a supper, actually eating and breaking bread. It's made up and it's made up from the Epistles.

The Pauline Chiasmus Mark constructed is just impossible to have been created any other way. Denying that Mark made this by using the Epistles is by far not a likely conclusion. I'll include that part here. But there are dozens of other examples of different types. Carrier only covers some of them.

Paradigmatic Example: The Pauline Chiasmus

Mark 12:25 has Jesus say, “When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.” Notably, Paul had no knowledge of such a saying when he had to struggle to justify his view of the resurrection as being an abandoning of fleshly life and entering into uncorruptible celestial bodies (1 Corinthians 15:36-54; see my most thorough discussion in The Empty Tomb and its associated FAQ; Mark also lifts Paul’s distinction between bodies made by hands and those not, and puts it into the mouth of Jesus, by metaphor making exactly the same point as Paul regarding the nature of the resurrection—almost verbatim). So where did Mark get the idea that Jesus said this thing about angels and marriage? It seems quite evidently from Paul. By inventing a simple proverb for Jesus to have uttered, Mark is simplifying Paul’s discourse into a single line, as anyone who can figure out why “they will neither marry nor be given in marriage” and what it means “to be like the angels in heaven” will have sussed Paul’s entire discourse on the resurrection body. Thus illustrating again how Mark adapts Paul’s teaching by simplifying it into a story about Jesus.

But there is something even more remarkable about this parallel: it comes in the middle of a chiasmus Mark has constructed within Mark 12 that demonstrates his dependence on Paul. This was first discovered by Michael Turton and is used to significant effect under peer review by David Oliver Smith. As I showed in OHJ (Ch. 10.4), Mark is fond of chiastic structure and uses it often. And here we have an instance that demonstrates Mark’s knowledge of Paul’s Epistles. I here adapt this model from Turton’s demonstration:

ARomans 8:31-38, References Psalm 118, verse 6; then warns of persecution and denounces all religious authorities but Jesus = Mark 12:10-12, Quotes Psalm 118, verses 22-23; then mentions the religious authorities want to kill Jesus.
BRomans 13:1-7, Paul exhorts to obey your government and pay your taxes = Mark 12:13-17, Jesus declares “Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s.”
C1 Corinthians 15:12-34, Paul confronts those who deny resurrection = Mark 12:18-23, Jesus confronts the Sadduccees who deny resurrection.
C’1 Corinthians 15:35-50, Paul answers what the resurrection body is like, after declaring the folly of those who don’t know (15:36) = Mark 12:24-27, Jesus answers what the resurrection body is like, after declaring the folly of those who don’t know (12:24).
B’Romans 13:8-10, Paul explains how love fulfills the Law = Mark 12:28-34, Jesus explains how love fulfills the Law.
A’1 Corinthians 15:24-28 references Psalm 110, verse 1 (in 15:25), and declares Jesus will defeat all enemies and authorities = Mark 12:35-40, Quotes the exact same verse in Psalm 110, then preaches to beware of the religious authorities.
These coincidences and parallels are so statistically improbable as to render any other explanation effectively impossible: Mark is adapting and playing off of specific content in Romans and 1 Corinthians.

Last edited:

joelr

Perhaps it is my fault, because I don’t speack English as a mother language, but in my view“bias” is not supposed to be an offensive nor pejorative term……

All I am saying is that you would require more evidence for a supernatural claim, than for a natural claim

that is not suppose to be a bad thing.
First you might go back to that post and look at that very conclusive evidence that the NT theology (not OT) is new and IS Hellenism. Interestingly Christianity comes from the center of Hellenistic thought Antioch as well. The addition of a soul and a spiritual body (and many other things) are confirmed by Ehrman to be added from "pagan" views and began in Antioch. Meaning they syncretically adopted Hellenism OR Hellenistic Judaism and made it into Christianity.

Yes one would need proper evidence to justify a supernatural claim. First you would need to know how other explanations were ruled out?
In this case we have excellent evidence that this is mythology and can trace the ideas back to where they came from. There were other religions also going through similar changes and also became mystery religions. Same theology, a supreme God, a son/daughter savior, defeats death, gets followers afterlife salvation, baptism, eucharist, brothers/sisters in the lord, allows all races, ...

So you would have to have reasonable evidence this version was actually real while the others are all fake. That evidence strongly looks like they are all just fictional theology serving a purpose of giving the nation deities to worship, ways to feel like they will live after death, normal belief systems at the time.

As to proving a supernatural event from multiple sources, it cannot be done. In the early 1900s Sai Baba performed many miracles with literally millions of eyewitnesses. I don't believe them, you also may not believe them. Sai or Jesus would have to show up, in person and go to a testing lab where trickery would be accounted for.
But there is no evidence the gospel Jesus was real any more than Krishna was real. There is strong evidence Mark copied Paul, Romulus, Jesus Ben Ananias, Homer, and the OT. Matthew definitely re-wrote Mark, Luke also did and is a terrible historian (many many mistakes can be shown) and he claims he got his information from the "traditional sources", which is a lie because he changes many things.

Again, this is a faith religion. Ehrman said it, all historians will say it. You cannot prove ancient supernatural events.

Justin Martyr, 1st century apologist tried to justify the religion being obviously copied from Greco-Roman religions by saying Satan went back in time and made those Greek religions to make Jesus look like a copy-cat. More damning evidence couldn't be asked for really.

joelr

It’s far from pointless to point out your clear misrepresentation of source material.
In that post I didn't mis-represent any material. In the next post I presented MORE material from the next century demonstrating anti-pagan laws and actions.
Either you can’t read or understand your own sources, or you are deliberately misrepresenting them.

Either way it makes discussion pointless.

I presented several peer reviewed sources then started to use your sources to show how you misrepresented them and that there is a strong academic consensus against the Gibbonian narrative based on an uncritical reading of Christian propaganda.

That you pretend this is “one report” is silly.
No, it said scholars are in different camps, epigraphical evidence also suggests a steep decline in cult practices starting in the third century, it's complicated. Ok, history is complicated. Wow, what a shock. Last post I demonstrated many examples of 4th century anti-pagan practice. This is a non-issue.

You were unable to grasp how religious buildings can disappear over time without being destroyed.
Uh, no, like I said, one way was to remove the idol and make it a Christian church. That also counts.

I gave you an example that you can see with your own eyes today. You were still unable to grasp it and insisted a regime that does not actively save bankrupt religious institutions should be seen as having a strategy of destroying them.
They destroyed some, took th eidols, made anti-pagan laws. I'm sure we can go to the 5th century and see many more examples of this non-issue.
Yet many do survive in all kinds of sources.
Really, which documents with non-canon theology survived without being hidden?

Many survive because theologians bothered to try to refute them and thus obviously must have had copies to refute.
No, some disagreed on matters like the trinity, calvinism and so on. Nothing survived that said Jesus was a different deity from Yahweh.

No one tries to refute mythicism though.

2 Peter 1:16 did. For we did not follow cleverly devised myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

That is a refutation of someone calling it a myth and an addition of a claim that it was seen. (not)
The idea that there was a well known belief that Jesus didn’t exist, yet there remains not a trace of it anywhere is unlikely.
That doesn't track at all. Look at ALL of the Dead Sea Scrolls. Pure chance it was found hidden in a cave. Jesus separate from Yahweh, Jesus is just a spirit, Jesus has a WIFE?????
-read, note the last words.....

"The Gnostic Enigma Almost all of these codices are concerned with Gnosticism, which is a modern term for a mysterious religious movement that has at its centre a gnosis (that is, arcane knowledge), and is one of the most fascinating enigmas in the history of religion. A complex amalgam of traditions, ideas and influences, it was an important religious phenomenon that flourished for several centuries during the Early Christian era, but then seems to have been almost completely suppressed. "

completely suppressed. Stories about Jesus completely suppressed. Huh?

ALSO, mythicism is that Jesus was a celestial deity. AS I SAID, it's that way in one version of Ascension of Isaiah and Philo, many decades before, wrote of an arcangel, who was firstborn son of God, his favorite, "the East", the hHgh Preist, the Divine Logos, the being who God used as an instrument to create the universe and is Lord over all creation. All of these things were said of Jesus in the Epistles.

Before Mark made him an earthly being who ascended to Heaven. Paul said nothing about a birth on Earth, a family, a ministry or even a crucifixion. He said Jesus was killed by the Archons of the Age. This could be demons in the celestial realm or humans. It's used both ways in antiquity.

I already said all this, why am I repeating it? You didn't refute it, you just ignored it and asked the same question again, knowing full well I gave 2 examples?

Why didn’t Jewish critics notice he was just a made up figure from Jewish scripture and that many people knew he was never real?

They also didn't provide evidence for historicity. Some thought he lived 130 years earlier. During the time when stories were going around they clearly didn't even notice. By the time it became a thing it was the 2nd century. all they cared about was there was no messiah, myth or Rabbi.

That this super heresy didn’t survive in all the factionalism is unlikely.
There were far stranger things that didn't survive that we see in the Gnostic Gospels.
If you lack the wit to differentiate between evidence that supports your claim that Christians destroyed all temples of all religions and all non-canonical material, and that which supports my claim that there was some oppression and violence which varied by time and place but you massively overstated it and paganism declined for a variety of reasons over the best part of half a millennium and many trends started before the rise of Christianity then I can’t help you.

If you can’t see nuance, just black and white, you’ll never understand anything with any degree of ambiguity.

Can lead a horse to water…
Terrible attempt at a false narrative. You are now back to my original statement attempting to ignore the fact that I said it was hyperbole and I went on to produce massive evidence of all types of anti-pagan propaganda. Then in a 2nd post moved on the the 4th century with even more pronounced examples. Which you failed to even respond to.
So now to rescue your argument you pretend it's nuance I'm not seeing. Sorry, already talked about that.
There was many examples, in every century of many types of anti-pagan policies. When nuance was needed I'm sure it was used. And some temples survived.

You are not going to rescue this with false information and ad-hom.

Ironically you are desperately defending an uncritical reading of Christian propaganda in the face of overwhelming secular historical evidence against its veracity.

I’ll leave you with these, all from sources you introduced as reliable, and I’ll leave it to others to decide if these convincingly support your claim that an all powerful church destroyed all temples of all religions and all non-canonical texts:

As it now becomes more and more accepted in Late Antique Studies to discard the triumphalist overtones of our Christian sources and to view religious transformation as a gradual and complex process, in which violence only rarely erupted…

The archaeological evidence that has now been collected for most parts of the Roman Empire, however, shows overwhelmingly that the destruction of temples and their reuse as churches were exceptional rather than routine events… it becomes clear that [many claimed] incidents occurred in specific local, socio-political circumstances
Yeah you already posted this. Doesn't account for things like:

"Anti-pagan legislation reflects what Brown calls "the most potent social and religious drama" of the fourth-century Roman empire.
  From Constantine forward, the Christian intelligentsia wrote of Christianity as fully triumphant over paganism. It didn't matter that they were still a minority in the empire, this triumph had occurred in Heaven; it was evidenced by Constantine; but even after Constantine, they wrote that Christianity would defeat, and be seen to defeat, all of its enemies - not convert them.: 640 

The laws were not intended to convert; "the laws were intended to terrorize... Their language was uniformly vehement, and... frequently horrifying".

Or this:
"Trombley and MacMullen say part of why such discrepancies (between the literary sources and the archaeological evidence) exist is because it is common for details in the literary sources to be ambiguous and unclear.[184][185] For example, Malalas claimed Constantine destroyed all the temples, then he said Theodisius did, then he said Constantine converted them all to churches."

Which I already posted and shows even though a temple was claimed to be destroyed and it actually wasn't, it was converted.

But this was all posted, and ONCE AGIN, you ignored it and are pretending like it's a new take. That sounds familiar.........? However it was done, nuance, whatever, it's clear that there was strong anti-paganism by the churches, through whatever means.

Last edited: