• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no evidence for God, so why do you believe?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I’ve been reading through a couple of threads, and I see that it is said that there is no evidence for a god, it’s an unfalsifiable idea. We all agree on this? If you don’t, care to explain the evidence there is for god?
I’m in agreement. I used to believe my personal experiences to be subjective evidence for god, but I know now that’s not the case. I am not a theist anymore because I recognize I was a Christian thanks almost completely to my environment. That’s why I believed. I was brought up in it. Wasn’t because of any proof or anything,
So, theists, why do you believe? Is it mainly because of your environment and geographical location? There is no proof for god (right?), so what logically keeps you believing? Or is logic not supposed to be a factor when it comes to faith? Is it too jarring, the idea of leaving the comfort that religion and belief in a god brings?
I am curious about personal evaluations on why you believe. It can’t be because of logic, as there is no proof of god, right?

Suave

Simulated character
I’ve been reading through a couple of threads, and I see that it is said that there is no evidence for a god, it’s an unfalsifiable idea. We all agree on this? If you don’t, care to explain the evidence there is for god?
I’m in agreement. I used to believe my personal experiences to be subjective evidence for god, but I know now that’s not the case. I am not a theist anymore because I recognize I was a Christian thanks almost completely to my environment. That’s why I believed. I was brought up in it. Wasn’t because of any proof or anything,
So, theists, why do you believe? Is it mainly because of your environment and geographical location? There is no proof for god (right?), so what logically keeps you believing? Or is logic not supposed to be a factor when it comes to faith? Is it too jarring, the idea of leaving the comfort that religion and belief in a god brings?
I am curious about personal evaluations on why you believe. It can’t be because of logic, as there is no proof of god, right?

Please note the discovery of error correcting codes within the equations of symmetry is a rigorously proven theorem.

Reference: https://www.quora.com/Is-theoretica...mmunity-and-has-it-been-corroborated-by-other

Is theoretical physicist James Gates’ intriguing discovery of error-correcting codes within the equations of supersymmetry accepted within the theoretical physicist community, and has it been corroborated by other physicists?

Tristan Hubsch
, PhD Physics, University of Maryland, College Park (1987)
Answered 3 years ago · Author has 1.4K answers and 1M answer views

A.: The discovery is a rigorously proven theorem.

To be precise, the (error-detecting and error-correcting binary doubly-even linear block) codes were discovered/identified within the classification of worldline off-shell supermultiplets without central charge [On Graph-Theoretic Identifications of Adinkras, Supersymmetry Representations and Superfields, by C.F. Doran, M.G. Faux, S.J. Gates, Jr., T. Hübsch, K.M. Iga and G.D. Landweber: Int. J. Mod. Phys. A22 (2007) 869-930, arXiv:math-ph/0512016]. It was then proven that these (minimal) supermultiplets in turn encode the continuum of all possible worldline supermultiplets [On General Off-Shell Representations of Worldline (1D) Supersymmetry, by C.F. Doran, T. Hübsch, K.M. Iga and G.D. Landweber: Symmetry 6 no. 1, (2014) 67–88, arXiv:1310.3258]. See also my answer to “James Gates claims that he found code in string theory. Does that imply that we live in a simulation?”

If string theory proves to be a valid explanation for the fundamental constituents of the universe being one-dimensional “strings” rather than point-like particles, then this error correction code found within string theory could be a real indication of our simulated universe being controlled by a simulator ( aka God! )

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Please note the discovery of error correcting codes within the equations of symmetry is a rigorously proven theorem.

Reference: https://www.quora.com/Is-theoretica...mmunity-and-has-it-been-corroborated-by-other

Is theoretical physicist James Gates’ intriguing discovery of error-correcting codes within the equations of supersymmetry accepted within the theoretical physicist community, and has it been corroborated by other physicists?

Tristan Hubsch

To be precise, the (error-detecting and error-correcting binary doubly-even linear block) codes were discovered/identified within the classification of worldline off-shell supermultiplets without central charge [On Graph-Theoretic Identifications of Adinkras, Supersymmetry Representations and Superfields, by C.F. Doran, M.G. Faux, S.J. Gates, Jr., T. Hübsch, K.M. Iga and G.D. Landweber: Int. J. Mod. Phys. A22 (2007) 869-930, arXiv:math-ph/0512016]. It was then proven that these (minimal) supermultiplets in turn encode the continuum of all possible worldline supermultiplets [On General Off-Shell Representations of Worldline (1D) Supersymmetry, by C.F. Doran, T. Hübsch, K.M. Iga and G.D. Landweber: Symmetry 6 no. 1, (2014) 67–88, arXiv:1310.3258]. See also my answer to “James Gates claims that he found code in string theory. Does that imply that we live in a simulation?”

If string theory proves to be a valid explanation for the fundamental constituents of the universe being one-dimensional “strings” rather than point-like particles, then this error correction code found within string theory could be a real indication of our simulated universe being controlled by a simulator ( aka God! )
I’m confused :confused: this is a bit above my pay grade. But I appreciate the input, I’m going to look up string theory and reread your reply a couple of times.
Seems like you found logic in believing in god, for yourself at least.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

Tristan Hubsch

Quora would not be a reliable source when it comes to physics of this level. Do you have links to his peer reviewed work?

Sometimes non-scientists simply misunderstand the work of real scientists.

nPeace

Veteran Member
I see evidence for a designer (God) in the design in creation.
I do not believe in the idea of the bread baking itself - i.e. natural processes designing everything.

I have millions of examples of this proof.
Just ask for how many you would like.

The other evidence is in the Bible, which is proof of divine authorship.

The other evidence is the effect of the power of God, not only on lives, but also on activities of people who belong to God.

Another evidence is the contrast between those who serve God, and those who don't.

Um. I'm sure there are a lot more, but my brain cells are on shutdown mode, as I am about to hit the hay.
Goodnight.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Tristan Hubsch

Not impressed. Error-correcting codes and supersymmetry both make extensive use of common lattice structures (the Leech lattice is one example), so it isn't too surprising that you can finagle what looks like one in the other.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I have millions of examples of this proof.
Just ask for how many you would like.
One would be good for starters.
The other evidence is in the Bible, which is proof of divine authorship.
How so? I’ve read it, as well as some criticisms. What separates it from other mythological tales and epics? It’s wise words are found in other religious texts, which I assume you don’t think are necessarily divinely inspired. How is the Bible definitively proof of divine authorship?
Another evidence is the contrast between those who serve God, and those who don't.
Hmm, idk about that. I’m sure the atheists on this site are good folk, just like I give the benefit of the doubt that you are.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Far more interesting as *negative* evidence for an intelligent creator is the lack of abstract representational art in the universe. For that matter, it is lacking outside of human endeavors.

So, some of the earliest cave paintings have art that clearly represents animals in the environment. That is a sign of an intelligence operating that is capable of abstract thought. And this is different than simply having abstract design.

But such representations are completely lacking.

Why would that be?

InChrist

Free4ever
Yet, it does seem there are some stanch atheists, agnostics, and/or scientists who found enough logical reasons or proof which caused them to believe in God. Maybe not necessarily the biblical God, but a Creator, Designer, or intelligent God, nevertheless.
A few include: Antony Flew, Francis Collins, Alister E. McGrath, C.S. Lewis, David Wood, John Gurdon, John Eccles, Lee Strobel, Simon Greenleaf, Rick Oliver, Frank Tipler.

Last edited:

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Far more interesting as *negative* evidence for an intelligent creator is the lack of abstract representational art in the universe. For that matter, it is lacking outside of human endeavors.

So, some of the earliest cave paintings have art that clearly represents animals in the environment. That is a sign of an intelligence operating that is capable of abstract thought. And this is different than simply having abstract design.

But such representations are completely lacking.

Why would that be?
Just so I understand, you are saying that perhaps if there was a god, then perhaps there would be artistic creation on a cosmic scale? I’m not sure I really understand. What is the representations you would expect to see?

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
FWIW, I wonder if you would get more responses to this question if this were posted in Religious Q&A vs. Reigious Debates.
I considered it, but I wanted to leave the debate open as to whether there was proof of god or not.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
it is said that there is no evidence for a god,

Sure some say that. Not me.

it’s an unfalsifiable idea.

That I agree with. So if you write "there is no scientifically provable evidence for God", I would agree with it.

Far more interesting as *negative* evidence for an intelligent creator is the lack of abstract representational art in the universe.

The reference frame for that statement is the presumption of a God as an individual separate and distinct. My frame is that God operating through humans creates abstract representational art. Your assertion has no scientific proof and neither does mine.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What is the evidence you looking for?
What to you would prove Gods existence?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yet, it does seem there are some stanch atheists, agnostics, and/or scientists who found enough logical reasons or proof which caused them to believe in God. Maybe not necessarily the biblical God, but a Creator, Designer, or intelligent God, nevertheless.
A few include: Andrew Flew, Francis Collins, Alister E. McGrath, C.S. Lewis, David Wood, John Gurdon, John Eccles, Lee Strobel, Simon Greenleaf, Rick Oliver, Frank Tipler.

Several names on that are disputable and none of them seemed find any evidence. Andrew Flew was old and senile and did not even write much of the book with his name on it if any. There are interviews with him after it was published. Lee Strobel appears to be a fraud since his "investigation" would not be one that an atheist would do. He acted like a Christian looking for evidence and like a Christian accepted the weakest claims as evidence. Francis Collins was not convinced by evidence he had a "spiritual" encounter with a waterfall if I remember correctly.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't know. It would be up to the believers to find proper evidence for their claims since they are highly unlikely to accept evidence against it. Most do not know seem to understand what counts as reliable evidence.
I have nothing to prove, God in my understanding is a state of being. A higher consciousness. What others belueve or see God as, is personal to them.

Suave

Simulated character
Quora would not be a reliable source when it comes to physics of this level. Do you have links to his peer reviewed work?

Symbols of Power: Adinkras amd the Nature of Reality, Dr. Sylvester James Gates, published April 18th, 2012.

https://onbeing.org/blog/symbols-of...-of-power-adinkras-and-the-nature-of-reality/