• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There are some who shall not taste of death...

Flat Earth Kyle

Matthew 16:28
28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
Luke 9:27
27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.
Mark 9:1
1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Is there anyone else out there that believes that there are some people on the earth today who have been alive since the time of Christ, or is that just an LDS belief?

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
28 Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom.
27 But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God.
1 And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

Is there anyone else out there that believes that there are some people on the earth today who have been alive since the time of Christ, or is that just an LDS belief?

3 of those standing there did see the kingdom of God prophetically back then.

Flat Earth Kyle

3 of those standing there did see the kingdom of God prophetically back then.

Obviously you don't believe there are any unofficial immortals living on the earth at this time. I am wondering if there are any others out there who believe there are unofficial immortals living on the earth at this time.

WyattDerp

What is an "unofficial" immortal?

Also, help me understand the topic. Is your point that this obviously didn't come to pass; or that LDS get bonus points for believing it did?

Flat Earth Kyle

"Limited immortality? We've all got that."

Limited immortality as in a promise that you will live 2000 plus years before you die?
Unless we all have a promise that we will live for a certain period of time I don't think I would call that unofficial immortality.

WyattDerp

Well then, where are those people?

Hiding away, because after all, it's just the "average" Christians who are supposed to do signs and wonders, even greater than Jesus did, to convince people that Jesus died for their sins and therefore save them from eternal damnation? I mean, if you could single-handedly bring millions if not billions of people to the faith, why wouldn't you just instead sit in a cave and pray, or play playstation all day - right?

Flat Earth Kyle

Well then, where are those people?

Hiding away, because after all, it's just the "average" Christians who are supposed to do signs and wonders, even greater than Jesus did, to convince people that Jesus died for their sins and therefore save them from eternal damnation? I mean, if you could single-handedly bring millions if not billions of people to the faith, why wouldn't you just instead sit in a cave and pray, or play playstation all day - right?

We believe that they travel the world in secret a preach the gospel. Just remember miracles don't convert people, Christ proved that. But they do strengthen the testimonies of those who already believe.

Matthew 16:13-17
13 ¶When Jesus came into the coasts of Cæsarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

WyattDerp

Just remember miracles don't convert people, Christ proved that.

What? I could swear I heard Christians say that if Jesus didn't actually rise from death, the whole thing would be pointless.

Miracles don't convert everybody, but most people that were converted wouldn't have without any of them.

for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

In other words, a miracle. Just one that happens directly in the brain haha.

Flat Earth Kyle

What? I could swear I heard Christians say that if Jesus didn't actually rise from death, the whole thing would be pointless.

Miracles don't convert everybody, but most people that were converted wouldn't have without any of them.

Okay, you got me, divine revelation is a miracle.

Flat Earth Kyle

If Christ had not atoned for us life would be pointless yes, and part of atoning was rising from the dead.

Domenic

It says what it says. Jesus does not lie.
Thank you for posting this.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Not even an LDS belief, it's just ordinary mysticism.

Those people who shall not taste of death are alive today, yes.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

The catch word is 'some'.

Some people catch on.
Most don't.
Some people will see what it means ...before they die.
Most won't.

Flat Earth Kyle

Not even an LDS belief, it's just ordinary mysticism.

Those people who shall not taste of death are alive today, yes.

What makes you think it is not an LDS belief? We very much believe that John the Beloved is still alive today. We also believe Christ promised the very same thing to three Nephites living in the Americas during that time.

3 Nephi 28: 6-10
"6 And he said unto them: Behold, I know your thoughts, and ye have desired the thing which John, my beloved, who was with me in my ministry, before that I was lifted up by the Jews, desired of me.
7 Therefore, more blessed are ye, for ye shall never taste of death; but ye shall live to behold all the doings of the Father unto the children of men, even until all things shall be fulfilled according to the will of the Father, when I shall come in my glory with the powers of heaven.
8 And ye shall never endure the pains of death; but when I shall come in my glory ye shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye from mortality to immortality; and then shall ye be blessed in the kingdom of my Father.
9 And again, ye shall not have pain while ye shall dwell in the flesh, neither sorrow save it be for the sins of the world; and all this will I do because of the thing which ye have desired of me, for ye have desired that ye might bring the souls of men unto me, while the world shall stand.
10 And for this cause ye shall have fulness of joy; and ye shall sit down in the kingdom of my Father; yea, your joy shall be full, even as the Father hath given me fulness of joy; and ye shall be even as I am, and I am even as the Father; and the Father and I are one;"

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
We believe that they travel the world in secret a preach the gospel. Just remember miracles don't convert people, Christ proved that. But they do strengthen the testimonies of those who already believe.

Matthew 16:13-17
13 ¶When Jesus came into the coasts of Cæsarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?
14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.
15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Bar-jona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

I didn't know that Simon spoke Greek........ or Latin?

Flat Earth Kyle

I didn't know that Simon spoke Greek........ or Latin?

Unfortunately we do not have they original New Testament manuscripts that were written by the hands of the apostles themselves. All we have are copies of copies of copies, many of which are Greek and Latin.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Unfortunately we do not have they original New Testament manuscripts that were written by the hands of the apostles themselves. All we have are copies of copies of copies, many of which are Greek and Latin.

These copies of copies of copies. Would you say that these attracted many mistakes and errors, or do you say that that all the scribes were guided to perfect accuracy by God?

Flat Earth Kyle

These copies of copies of copies. Would you say that these attracted many mistakes and errors, or do you say that that all the scribes were guided to perfect accuracy by God?

I believe there are many mistakes and errors in these copies of copies of copies. Were there not any errors each copy would be identical, which is not the case.