• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There Are No Errors In The Gathas

Tomorrows_Child

They are a bit like psalms, only more theological :) They are the only text Reform Zoroastrians believe to have been composed by The Prophet himself, so of course they are special.

But if I am going through a tricky situation, say some sort of familial dispute, what sort of practical advice can I glean from your prophet? Or the scripture?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
But if I am going through a tricky situation, say some sort of familial dispute, what sort of practical advice can I glean from your prophet? Or the scripture?
This is not the type of Religion Zoroastrianism is. One is taught to use one's own conscience and to make one's own moral judgements. Ahura Mazda does not lay down a Law and demand we follow it, he gave us free will and a conscience to think for ourselves :)

Tomorrows_Child

This is not the type of Religion Zoroastrianism is. One is taught to use one's own conscience and to make one's own moral judgements. Ahura Mazda does not lay down a Law and demand we follow it, he gave us free will and a conscience to think for ourselves :)

You can still receive advice and have free will, correct? So what real world problems can be solved by this? If none, then what is the point?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You can still receive advice and have free will, correct? So what real world problems can be solved by this? If none, then what is the point?
The three main tenants of the faith are:

Good Thoughts, Good Words and Good Deeds.

That is our motto.

We aim to make the world a better place by being and doing good. Isn't that the essence of most religions?

Initially, the Prophet was against the cattle raiding polytheists of his time, they were making needless wars and raids. So our faith also teaches pacifism, except in self-defense.

We ascribe all Good to Lord Mazda and praise him for it.

:)

15 From the Hymn to Ardwī Sūrā Anāhitā (Yasht 5)

Ahura Mazdā introduces the goddess to Zarathustra

Ahura Mazdā said to Zarathustra of the Spitāmas: “Sacrifice to Ardwī Sūrā Anāhitā for me, O Zarathustra of the Spitāmas! Her front is broad, she provides healing. She said no to the evil gods and took Ahura Mazdā as her guide. She is worthy of sacrifices and hymns from the existence with bones.

“A sustainer of Order, she furthers the grains, the flocks, and the herds, the settlements and the lands.

“She purifies the semen of all males and the wombs of all females for birth. She gives easy delivery to all females and brings down their milk in due time and measure.

It's not an error, I'm just going to point out that next time a woman complains to me that I'm lucky I don't have to give birth I can tell her to stop complaining as it is perfectly easy to force a baby out of her vagina.

:D

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
15 From the Hymn to Ardwī Sūrā Anāhitā (Yasht 5)

Ahura Mazdā introduces the goddess to Zarathustra

Ahura Mazdā said to Zarathustra of the Spitāmas: “Sacrifice to Ardwī Sūrā Anāhitā for me, O Zarathustra of the Spitāmas! Her front is broad, she provides healing. She said no to the evil gods and took Ahura Mazdā as her guide. She is worthy of sacrifices and hymns from the existence with bones.

“A sustainer of Order, she furthers the grains, the flocks, and the herds, the settlements and the lands.

“She purifies the semen of all males and the wombs of all females for birth. She gives easy delivery to all females and brings down their milk in due time and measure.

It's not an error, I'm just going to point out that next time a woman complains to me that I'm lucky I don't have to give birth I can tell her to stop complaining as it is perfectly easy to force a baby out of her vagina.

:D
It's not even in the 17 Gathas lol, so I wouldn't have cared anyway. This thread is about the Gathas xD

Jabar

“Strive always to excel in virtue and truth.”
Hahahaahahahahaahahaha, hello.

The Gathas is man made.

Tomorrows_Child

The three main tenants of the faith are:

Good Thoughts, Good Words and Good Deeds.

That is our motto.

We aim to make the world a better place by being and doing good. Isn't that the essence of most religions?

Initially, the Prophet was against the cattle raiding polytheists of his time, they were making needless wars and raids. So our faith also teaches pacifism, except in self-defense.

We ascribe all Good to Lord Mazda and praise him for it.

:)

That sounds great and I do agree, the aim of any sane religion would be to do good but what does "Good Thoughts, Good Words and Good Deeds" actually mean in real terms? For example, what would it mean for me if I was in a situation of, like I said before, familial dispute. What practical advice am I receiving? What does "good deeds" mean in this situation?