• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"There’s Nothing Conservative Christians Despise More Than Happy Gay People."

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Theater Teacher Fired from Christian School Due To Her Same-Sex Relationship

Monica Toro Lisciandro, who owns a performance studio in Florida, also spent part of her days teaching kids about theater at Covenant Christian School in Palm Bay. As a believer herself, she loves the opportunity to help kids “feel seen and heard and loved.” It’s why she worked at the school for the past three years.

But this month, she was fired after someone outed her as a lesbian in a committed relationship.

MonicaToro.png

… Last week, Head of School Lorne Wenzel wrote an email to musical theater parents:

“I am sorry to say that for personal reasons, Mrs. Lisciandro is not able to continue teaching our musical theater class. We are aggressively pursuing another teacher to finish the class and (direct) our play, and I will keep you posted,” Wenzel wrote.

It’s beyond foolish to replace a beloved teacher in the middle of the school year. To do so for no other reason than faith-based bigotry is yet another reason no decent person should remain in conservative Christian churches — and the reason many of those kids will likely never return to church when they’re older and no longer living at home.

But as we’ve seen with Catholic schools that operate the same way, private Christian schools are allowed to enforce their own rules even when they’re blatantly discriminatory. (In fact, Florida has no anti-discrimination laws protecting LGBTQ people from getting fired for the same reason at public schools.)

Lisciandro was fired because of her same-sex relationship, but her list of supposed “sins” includes (gasp) attending a Pride parade and (gasp gasp) allowing an LGBTQ group to use her studio space for a meeting.

She’s frustrated because the school’s actions go against everything she believes Christianity ought to stand for:

“And so to think that something like this could happen to [the students] makes me feel really upset and angry, because they deserve better. So I can’t be quiet about it. I can’t be silent about it,” she said.

“Because I want kids to see me and know that you can be a Christian and you can be gay. You can be gay, you can teach at a Christian school. You don’t have to feel shame about who you love, or who you are, or how you were born to be,” she said.

The school would be a better place if people like Lisciandro were employed there. Unfortunately, she’s at the mercy of people who use religion as a weapon to hurt others, all in an attempt to be more “Christ-like.”
source

Agree or not?

a

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Monica Toro Lisciandro, who owns a performance studio in Florida, also spent part of her days teaching kids about theater at Covenant Christian School in Palm Bay. As a believer herself, she loves the opportunity to help kids “feel seen and heard and loved.” It’s why she worked at the school for the past three years.

But this month, she was fired after someone outed her as a lesbian in a committed relationship.

MonicaToro.png

… Last week, Head of School Lorne Wenzel wrote an email to musical theater parents:

“I am sorry to say that for personal reasons, Mrs. Lisciandro is not able to continue teaching our musical theater class. We are aggressively pursuing another teacher to finish the class and (direct) our play, and I will keep you posted,” Wenzel wrote.
It’s beyond foolish to replace a beloved teacher in the middle of the school year. To do so for no other reason than faith-based bigotry is yet another reason no decent person should remain in conservative Christian churches — and the reason many of those kids will likely never return to church when they’re older and no longer living at home.

But as we’ve seen with Catholic schools that operate the same way, private Christian schools are allowed to enforce their own rules even when they’re blatantly discriminatory. (In fact, Florida has no anti-discrimination laws protecting LGBTQ people from getting fired for the same reason at public schools.)

Lisciandro was fired because of her same-sex relationship, but her list of supposed “sins” includes (gasp) attending a Pride parade and (gasp gasp) allowing an LGBTQ group to use her studio space for a meeting.

She’s frustrated because the school’s actions go against everything she believes Christianity ought to stand for:

“And so to think that something like this could happen to [the students] makes me feel really upset and angry, because they deserve better. So I can’t be quiet about it. I can’t be silent about it,” she said.

“Because I want kids to see me and know that you can be a Christian and you can be gay. You can be gay, you can teach at a Christian school. You don’t have to feel shame about who you love, or who you are, or how you were born to be,” she said.

The school would be a better place if people like Lisciandro were employed there. Unfortunately, she’s at the mercy of people who use religion as a weapon to hurt others, all in an attempt to be more “Christ-like.”
source
Agree or not?

a

The problem I have is that I have 2 cousin's that where both teachers at Catholic schools and before getting the Job The schools had them sign a contract that stipulated No Extra marital relationships, no living with the opposite sex, no homosexual activities, and etc. If this teacher agreed to such a contract and took the job, then she deserves the firing. If there was no contract then the school is wrong. As to the contracts themselves I believe them to be wrong but they exist and you shouldn't take the job if you don't believe you can follow the contract.

Laika

Premium Member
Agree or not?

If the school felt that way, I'd be more sympathetic if the allowed the teacher to complete the term and make arrangements to find new employment. Whether it's their "right" to have such employment practices, I don't know and I probably wouldn't like being on the other end of it. But it is certainly a deeply unprofessional way to handle the dispute as it stands.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
I'd be more sympathetic with actions like this if Christian organizations also fired employees for being gluttons or being greedy.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

MonicaToro.png

source
Agree or not?

a

Agree with what? That Christianity has very little to do with anything Jesus taught? Agreed.

Christianity is too often used to justify people's bigotry. I suppose this type of Christians assumes Jesus was one of the greatest bigots of all times.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Well, I've never made any secret of my dislike for some of the crud people do in the names of their religions. Nor have I ever been accused of claiming that religion is a force for good in the world. This is just one good reason for me to feel justified for thinking so.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The problem I have is that I have 2 cousin's that where both teachers at Catholic schools and before getting the Job The schools had them sign a contract that stipulated No Extra marital relationships, no living with the opposite sex, no homosexual activities, and etc. If this teacher agreed to such a contract and took the job, then she deserves the firing. If there was no contract then the school is wrong. As to the contracts themselves I believe them to be wrong but they exist and you shouldn't take the job if you don't believe you can follow the contract.
You have a point.
But it's rather a small one.

Who would a competent parent prefer to mind and teach their children. An adult in an honest adult committed relationship, or someone promising sexual purity while scoping out the 3rd graders for "extracurricular" activity?

C'mon. It's the 21st century. An honest lesbian is far safer than a 20 something "confirmed bachelor". Everyone knows that.
Tom

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I dislike bigots and homophobes just as much as the next guy, but I don't get this shock and outrage everytime a gay person gets fired from a private religious institution. It's like what did you expect? Why wouldn't a faith-based school operate in accordance with that faith? And why would you want to work around those who despise you and look down upon you in the first place? Wouldn't you rather pursue a career at a real school?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I dislike bigots and homophobes just as much as the next guy, but I don't get this shock and outrage everytime a gay person gets fired from a private religious institution. It's like what did you expect? Why wouldn't a faith-based school operate in accordance with that faith? And why would you want to work around those who despise you and look down upon you in the first place? Wouldn't you rather pursue a career at a real school?
What's in accordance with the faith varies a lot. Private Christian schools can be LGBT friendly one superintendent or school board and shift to a less friendly position as people cycle through, and visa versa.

Why this teacher worked at this school seems to be clearly stated: she's also a Christian and found a home there.

(Also teachers can and have been fired from public schools for being gay where LGBT discrimination is legal. Such as Florida where this is.)

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
You have a point.
But it's rather a small one.

Who would a competent parent prefer to mind and teach their children. An adult in an honest adult committed relationship, or someone promising sexual purity while scoping out the 3rd graders for "extracurricular" activity?

C'mon. It's the 21st century. An honest lesbian is far safer than a 20 something "confirmed bachelor". Everyone knows that.
Tom

I value personal honesty and trust rather high, I would fire any person on the spot that lied or cheated on an application to get a job. I also would have a hard time trusting them with anything of mine.

Shad

Veteran Member
I have a suspicion that there was a clause in a contract or statement she signed as per "ousting".