• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Therapy and god's help

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I wonder, inspiration from the god-prayer thread: Therapist ideally aren't allowed to judge their clients. Their clients can say whatever and however they want as long as there is no direct intention to harm oneself or harm someone else. Anything goes as long as the therapist knows it's in context.

For some reason, god judges prayers by how often one does it, intervals, what one can and can't say, where one is when they pray, and so forth.

If god is the first person of contact when dealing with emotional matters, wouldn't one go to god with anything without rules and regulations and therapists be the ones who have restrictions to what is said and not said?

In other words, shouldn't it be the other way around?

In therapy, in context you can say I want to kill my mother and go out of the room fine. However, if you said it to god, there is a guilt feeling that one has disobeyed god and maybe needs to repent. Why is god different in those regards?

Mind you, the questions are just about the same just phased differently for clarity (for all my posts on RF).

Last edited:

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
For some reason, god judges prayers by how often one does it, intervals, what one can and can't say, where one is when they pray, and so forth.

I'm not sure I understand. Is this in context of your personal beliefs?

I don't find in my context where God judges prayers by how often one does it.

If god is the first person of contact when dealing with emotional matters, wouldn't one go to god with anything without rules and regulations and therapists be the ones who have restrictions to what is said and not said?

In therapy, in context you can say I want to kill my mother and go out of the room fine. However, if you said it go god, there is a guilt feeling that one has disobeyed god and maybe needs to repent. Why is god different in those regards?

I'm not sure these are the only two options.

Certainly, if one said to the therapist "I want to kill my mother"... the object of the therapy to help him reach the point of "OK, I won't kill my mother". Usually, when you reach the position, you have repented (turned away from) the first thought.

You can still leave not felling guilty with God.

Riders

I wonder, inspiration from the god-prayer thread: Therapist ideally aren't allowed to judge their clients. Their clients can say whatever and however they want as long as there is no direct intention to harm oneself or harm someone else. Anything goes as long as the therapist knows it's in context.

In therapy, in context you can say I want to kill my mother and go out of the room fine. However, if you said it go god, there is a guilt feeling that one has disobeyed god and maybe needs to repent. Why is god different in those regards?

Mind you, the questions are just about the same just phased differently for clarity (for all my posts on RF).

I disagree with this. I have been to Christian therapists who did not agree with me and got onto me about stuff I was doing and confronted my behaviors. Many counselors are willing to be judgemental and even religious about their counseling.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I disagree with this. I have been to Christian therapists who did not agree with me and got onto me about stuff I was doing and confronted my behaviors. Many counselors are willing to be judgemental and even religious about their counseling.

I havent been to a (edit) religious counselor for religious reasons before. The counselor I go to now is also a Christian and LGBT (don't know if she is herself) counselor (I found out later), but I would have never known until I looked her up afterwards.

Ideally, the purpose of therapy isn't to judge. One of my many therapist said it helps people to be able to help themselves.

I've gone to therapists who treat you as if you can't do anything for yourself. Some would keep you thinking you're disabled and dumb. But ideally it shouldn't be like that. Based on that ideal, I'd assume god would be even more lenient than a therapist.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I understand. Is this in context of your personal beliefs?

I don't find in my context where God judges prayers by how often one does it.

The argument is that repetitive prayers such as Hail Mary is not something god allows. It's related to rituals and god doesn't like repetition because of it (more so god knows what you are saying the first time around).

It's what I experienced when I practiced Catholicism but not my personal belief.

I'm not sure these are the only two options.

Certainly, if one said to the therapist "I want to kill my mother"... the object of the therapy to help him reach the point of "OK, I won't kill my mother". Usually, when you reach the position, you have repented (turned away from) the first thought.

You can still leave not felling guilty with God.

The context is that god is different than a therapist (rather). While even "thinking a bad deed" is considered a sin to god (so scripture says), saying the bad deed to a listening therapist would not be.

Would a believer tell god they wanted to kill their mother?

If they did (given thoughts can be sins) wouldn't they want to repent because of the guilt (or so have you) they experienced when they sinned?

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

In therapy, in context you can say I want to kill my mother and go out of the room fine. However, if you said it to god, there is a guilt feeling that one has disobeyed god and maybe needs to repent. Why is god different in those regards?

My experience indicates that a prayer is timeless. In other words if I pray when I'm a child or an adult, both prayers happen to God simultaneously. I am judged based upon my entire life, perhaps. I'm not exactly sure how this works, but I feel as though it is so. I don't think there is exactly a past and future when it comes to praying. This is just me though, hardly the best person to ask; but I'd trust no one better.

Brian2

Veteran Member

God wants us to be honest with Him. He knows what we think anyway. He knows we want to kill our mother.
God wants us to repent of what is wrong and to know what is wrong and what is OK. God is not going to rush off and tell the police. It's between you and Him.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

God is the ultimate moral authority, who can argue with that. Your thoughts are immoral? Well, that's just the facts.

Other, humans being immoral themselves, lack this ability to judge, except them religion therapists. Who's moral authority is bequeathed by God.

Please understand the preceding post was done with sarcasm intended.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God wants us to be honest with Him. He knows what we think anyway. He knows we want to kill our mother.
God wants us to repent of what is wrong and to know what is wrong and what is OK. God is not going to rush off and tell the police. It's between you and Him.

How do you know what he's thinking at the moment?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God is the ultimate moral authority, who can argue with that. Your thoughts are immoral? Well, that's just the facts.

Other, humans being immoral themselves, lack this ability to judge, except them religion therapists. Who's moral authority is bequeathed by God.

Please understand the preceding post was done with sarcasm intended.

I kept re-reading, I don't understand what you're saying. What point are you making?

(How do you say "what is your point?" without sounding critical, you know?-indirect question)

Brian2

Veteran Member
How do you know what he's thinking at the moment?

There are many things that God has told us about what He wishes from us and that is a good way of knowing what He wants. What He is thinking at the moment can sometimes be heard in the mind, but all this is from faith in the God who promised to live in Christians. Sometimes God blocks us from going down a certain path that we wish to follow. Sometimes we might get confirmation from others or God's word of what God is telling us.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
There are many things that God has told us about what He wishes from us and that is a good way of knowing what He wants. What He is thinking at the moment can sometimes be heard in the mind, but all this is from faith in the God who promised to live in Christians. Sometimes God blocks us from going down a certain path that we wish to follow. Sometimes we might get confirmation from others or God's word of what God is telling us.

Heard in the mind?

You have a lot of detail for what god thinks. How do you know god blocks you?

Last edited:

Brian2

Veteran Member
Heard in the mind?

You have a lot of detail for what god things. How do you know god blocks you?

I read it in the Bible and I also read that God opens ways for you. That does not mean that I am good at discerning what God wants me to do or what God is thinking about certain things. Our own desires can get in the way.
The whole thing can sound like superstition I guess but it is good to act on faith.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Hmm. There are some curious assumptions being made here that do not necessarily hold true. Most notably that the gods judge prayers in specific ways. In my experience, that depends very much on the god and usually isn't the case.