• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theory

Gabethewiking

Small question:

What do you as a Creationist see as a difference between the Theory of Gravity and Theory of Evolution?

They are two well suited theories to compare as if you deny ToE, you need to deny Theory of Gravity on the same basis, I never gotten this explained to me, would anyone mind telling me how this works or do you deny Gravity as well?

Tristesse

Well, for starters, most creationists don't even know what a scientific theory is. They don't understand that it's just an explanation for a particular phenomenon.

CarlinKnew

In before, "When I threw my copy of Origin of Species out the window, I witnessed the effects of gravity as the book fell to the ground. However, I've never seen a monkey give birth to a human! :no:"

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Small question:

What do you as a Creationist see as a difference between the Theory of Gravity and Theory of Evolution?

They are two well suited theories to compare as if you deny ToE, you need to deny Theory of Gravity on the same basis, I never gotten this explained to me, would anyone mind telling me how this works or do you deny Gravity as well?
The only difference I can see is one of attitude.

I think it's interesting that Newton's study of gravity was done from a certain theistic mindset: he was a deeply religious man, but he wanted to refute the idea that was common in his time that there weren't such thing as "natural laws", since the behaviour of everything that exists is dependent on God's constant intercession.

He proposed something different: because the God he believed in was rational and all-knowing, His Creation would be an expression of rationality, not arbitrariness, and would be eternally constant. He believed that the "Divine Watchmaker" was expert enough to design his "watch" perfectly in the first place so that it never needed re-adjustment.

When it comes to evolution, though, it seems like the Creationists have thrown this approach away. I don't think they realize that they speak against the rational, perfect God that Newton claimed.

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
Maybe I'm missing the point here but why would a denial of Evolution require a denial of Gravity? The two theories cover completely different areas of science.

Gabethewiking

In before, "When I threw my copy of Origin of Species out the window, I witnessed the effects of gravity as the book fell to the ground. However, I've never seen a monkey give birth to a human! :no:"

I do not understand, the Theory of Evolution has nothing to do with a monkey giving birth to a human. Could you explain?

Gabethewiking

Maybe I'm missing the point here but why would a denial of Evolution require a denial of Gravity? The two theories cover completely different areas of science.

The theory of Gravity is an attempt to explain the fact of Gravity as best as it can, The Theory of Evolution tries to explain the fact of Evolution as best as it can.

"Theory" means, in the context of Science, is the explanation (or attempt of explaining) phenomenon in the real world, such as the fact of Gravity or Evolution, "How does it work" is the answer "Theory" is trying to explain.

Gabethewiking

In what way are each falsifiable?

A rabbit in the Cambrian to start with, and funny thing is, I know LESS about Gravity, it is a very complex subject, therefore my choice of it, I assumed, correctly as well, that most Creationist do not even know the basics of Gravity and yet they accept that and reject Evolution which have more detailed explanation and evidence. :)

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Hardly anything ever becomes a scientific law. I don't think many people realize what exactly a scientific theory is. I think some people may think of it as being someone's guess, instead of the result of tons of scientific studies and experiments. And as CarlinKnew said, gravity is completely obviously true, because we can all see it happening constantly, except with airplanes, which I still don't understand. Evolution is such a long process, and is much more difficult to actually witness, and many people don't completely understand what evolution is either, as shown by people who claim monkies cannot give birth to humans, so evolution is impossible. :D

Gabethewiking

Hardly anything ever becomes a scientific law. I don't think many people realize what exactly a scientific theory is. I think some people may think of it as being someone's guess, instead of the result of tons of scientific studies and experiments. And as CarlinKnew said, gravity is completely obviously true, because we can all see it happening constantly, except with airplanes, which I still don't understand. Evolution is such a long process, and is much more difficult to actually witness, and many people don't completely understand what evolution is either, as shown by people who claim monkies cannot give birth to humans, so evolution is impossible. :D

Does damn monkeys.

To be honest, I do not think that is the problem, but rather, they do not want to understand. take the person who thinks monkeys give birth to a human, Do you think he or she actually want to learn instead of repeating ignorant Creationist rubbish?

I doubt it, because it wouldn't take long before he or she would "stop" being a Creationist after understanding the fact of our Evolution. But we know it wont happen, they already "decided" what the "truth" is.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Really you can be a creationist and believe in evolution though. A god could have created creatures which can evolve. I don't believe that, but there are people who believe both.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
However, I've never seen a monkey give birth to a human! :no:"
What does that have to do with evolution?

Seems to me that this right here is the biggest problem with creationists.
They do not know what evolution actually is.

Gabethewiking

Really you can be a creationist and believe in evolution though. A god could have created creatures which can evolve. I don't believe that, but there are people who believe both.

Yeah i know, it is completely contradictory as Human beings are not the "end" product and we continue to evolve as always, so this line of thought wouldn't work.

I think most Christians that are educated take this line of thought even if it is contradictory to reality. They do not ask "hold on, what happens in half a million years when humans are no longer humans, do god still care or was it only the homo sapien sapien"?... It goes in a strange circle making no sense. But whatever makes them happy as long as they do not harm others and the future children of our nation. That is my concern.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Well, for starters, most creationists don't even know what a scientific theory is. They don't understand that it's just an explanation for a particular phenomenon.
Add this to the fact that they do not know what evolution is either......

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
To be honest, I do not think that is the problem, but rather, they do not want to understand. take the person who thinks monkeys give birth to a human, Do you think he or she actually want to learn instead of repeating ignorant Creationist rubbish?

Well, I think some people simply have a flawed understanding of Evolution.
A lot of Creationists get their information from sources like answersingenesis and when they see things like:

Evolution says that monkeys can give birth to people.

There are no transitional fossils.

Evolution requires croco-ducks.

They believe it without question and never bother to research the facts for themselves. Not because they don't want to understand but simply because they never stop to think that these "facts" may not be true.

I doubt it, because it wouldn't take long before he or she would "stop" being a Creationist after understanding the fact of our Evolution. But we know it wont happen, they already "decided" what the "truth" is.

Actually, belief in Evolution doesn't necessarily require that you abandon your belief in Creation. Look up 'Theistic Evolution'.

Last edited:

dust1n

Zindīq
Yeah i know, it is completely contradictory as Human beings are not the "end" product and we continue to evolve as always, so this line of thought wouldn't work.

I think most Christians that are educated take this line of thought even if it is contradictory to reality. They do not ask "hold on, what happens in half a million years when humans are no longer humans, do god still care or was it only the homo sapien sapien"?... It goes in a strange circle making no sense. But whatever makes them happy as long as they do not harm others and the future children of our nation. That is my concern.

He never said anything about Humans being the final product. This is not completely contradictory...

If this was the case, obviously God cares about all living things on the same level.

Gabethewiking

Oh stop it, I know I know, but they would be seen by any Creationist contemporary as ATHEIST because they do not follow the dogma anymore and accept fact, a a evil path only Communist (which are bad) and European takes...

Which is ironic.... Anyone visiting the Creation Museum?

footprints

Small question:

Although you have minimised this thread to a Creationist viewpoint only, I feel I should now answer. Simply because other belief patterns have entered the fray.

The best explanation I have heard to date goes like this;

Where gravity is concerned, there is only one premise. When all a person has, is one premise to go on, there can be no division.

This is not so where evolution is concerned. With evolution there is more than one choice. As long a people have more than one choice to choose from, there will be division.

footprints

Add this to the fact that they do not know what evolution is either......

And how about the fact, that some people do not understand what a power of suggestion is.

That from emperical tests, some draw the power of suggestion, they are observing nature.

From the same emperical tests, some draw the power of suggestion, they are duplicating the methods of God.

From the same emperical tests, some draw the power of suggestion, that God is Nature.

Choices, choices, choices. Which power of suggestion does one follow. Where I am concerned, all of them of course.