• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Theory" vs. "Scientific Theory" (Huge Difference)

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I reiterate....

theory is a word with another one right behind it.......explanation.

say as you please and your words are an explanation.
you can support your theory as you please.....
but it is only an explanation.

I don't have to accept your explanation.

(btw....since you mentioned God....I believe BECAUSE of science)

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I got it right......it's just word play to you.
So, you won't even admit that you didn't understand what the term meant? Remember when you looked up the term "theory" instead of "scientific theory"?

Ok, then. Whatever floats your boat.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I reiterate....
A "term" can have multiple words. A "scientific theory" is a "term" with a specific meaning. In science, the word "hypothesis" is analogous to "theory". A "scientific theory", otoh, is a "theory" or "hypothesis" that has been confirmed through repeated experimentation and observation. When I said this before, you showed your obvious confusion by saying, "once a theory is confirmed, it is no longer a theory", which was incorrect. A "theory" does not become a "scientific theory" until it has been confirmed through repeated experimentation and observation.

Wirey

Fartist
A "term" can have multiple words. A "scientific theory" is a "term" with a specific meaning. In science, the word "hypothesis" is analogous to "theory". A "scientific theory", otoh, is a "theory" or "hypothesis" that has been confirmed through repeated experimentation and observation. When I said this before, you showed your obvious confusion by saying, "once a theory is confirmed, it is no longer a theory", which was incorrect. A "theory" does not become a "scientific theory" until it has been confirmed through repeated experimentation and observation.

I think you're talking to yourself. For some people, only Jesus can do anything. Except keep the gub'ment away from your guns.

Gambit

"Scientific Theory" = a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method aand repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.

Is string theory a scientific theory?

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
No; at this point, it is a hypothesis. The idea can be manipulated to account for any observed phenomena, but makes no unique testable predictions about observations of the universe, at least at this time. There is a substantial debate going on in physics right now about whether observations are necessary for a "theory" to be considered valid, see the article at this link for a recent summary.
http://www.nature.com/news/feuding-physicists-turn-to-philosophy-for-help-1.19076

Thief

Rogue Theologian
if you can't make an observation.....it's just an explanation
a theory
throwing the word science in front of that......doesn't make it stronger.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member

It theoretical as in it is only validated using pure math in a computer simulation. Theoretical means that there is assumption that the idea has merit for research purposes only. It is not established outside the context of research.

Shad

Veteran Member
if you can't make an observation.....

Observation within science is not directly observing something as it is with standard English. Observing can mean merely looking at data to experiments. Heck it is even observing the data from the experiment if it is failed.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Observation within science is not directly observing something as it is with standard English. Observing can mean merely looking at data to experiments. Heck it is even observing the data from the experiment if it is failed.
data is observation....
someone did an experiment.
now if the experiment never got off the chalk board.....it's an explanation

if you note an effect (observation) and care to make an explanation....
that's a theory

Shad

Veteran Member
data is observation....

No data is merely objects that have not been evaluated. For example one finds the bodies of a pig and human in the same spot.. That is all they observe the bodies. People could begin to evaluate and examine these bodies in order to see if both died at the same time or not. If one killed the other. If there was an relation to object A and B.

if you note an effect (observation) and care to make an explanation....
that's a theory

No that is a hypothesis.

Gambit

It theoretical as in it is only validated using pure math in a computer simulation. Theoretical means that there is assumption that the idea has merit for research purposes only. It is not established outside the context of research.

So, does this mean that string theory does not meet the criteria of a scientific theory as defined in the original post of this thread?

A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.[1][2][3][4]

(source: Wikipedia: Scientific theory)

Shad

Veteran Member
So, does this mean that string theory does not meet the criteria of a scientific theory as defined in the original post of this thread?

I already told you it is theoretical and what that specific means... It is not a scientific theory such as gravity or flight. It is assumed as such for research purposes only. Hence why there is no reason to accept it at all outside of research.

Nice to see you can quote a wiki. Now maybe you should look up what theoretical is.... I am sure there is a wiki for that too...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No data is merely objects that have not been evaluated. For example one finds the bodies of a pig and human in the same spot.. That is all they observe the bodies. People could begin to evaluate and examine these bodies in order to see if both died at the same time or not. If one killed the other. If there was an relation to object A and B.

No that is a hypothesis.
an observation....followed by an intelligent guess.....
would be what?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I already told you it is theoretical and what that specific means... It is not a scientific theory such as gravity or flight. It is assumed as such for research purposes only. Hence why there is no reason to accept it at all outside of research.

Nice to see you can quote a wiki. Now maybe you should look up what theoretical is.... I am sure there is a wiki for that too...
I've been there.....did that.....

I think there is a background problem on the word......explanation...
If I explain a possible item with good reasoning......it's a theory
an attempt with a petri dish is a better guess (explanation)

but until the KNOWN cause is associated the a KNOWN result.....
it's ALL theory

placing the word science ....in front of theory......doesn't necessarily strengthen your viewpoint.

Shad

Veteran Member
an observation....followed by an intelligent guess.....
would be what?

Exactly what I told you. Rephrasing the question does not change the answer.

I've been there.....did that.....

Try again since you obvious didn't understand.

I think there is a background problem on the word......explanation...

No the problem is justification not explaination. Any can create any explaintion they want. I can not findmy car key therefore magic gnomes stole my car keys vs I missed placed my car keys are it is a common mistake of humans and a failure in memory.

If I explain a possible item with good reasoning......it's a theory
an attempt with a petri dish is a better guess (explanation)

Nope, evidence is still required. This justifies for explanation not merely calling it a theory on a whim

but until the KNOWN cause is associated the a KNOWN result.....
it's ALL theory

Nope, again showing you are a dishonest hack as people have repeatedly told you the difference between the use of the word

placing the word science ....in front of theory......doesn't necessarily strengthen your viewpoint.

Never said it did. However using the proper terminology shows the different between people that understand it's uses and dishonest hacks that refuse to learn such as yourself.

Shad

Veteran Member
and as you have noticed.....reiteration has the same effect as denial.

Nope. Having to repeat myself shows either the person never read what I posted or is so incompetent they do not understand my comment.

rephrasing your denial doesn't help

Get an education son. My comments were correct but since you are ignorant you have no idea what you are talking about. I not the one that doesn't understand the difference between a hypothesis, which is an educated guess, and a theory, which is verified and not falsified.