• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theory of Everything

gnostic

The Lost One
For decades, theoretical physicists have been trying two fundamental physics theories - General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics - into a single encompassing theory - the Theory of Everything.

Do you think it is possible, one day, to combine them and to solve this problem?

Or is impossible?

Onoma

Well, there was H. Weyl's attempt, using Stoney units ( Associated a gravitational unit of charge with the Stoney length ), but that's considered a UFT instead of a TOE

Yerda

Veteran Member
I don't know how to do either general relativity or quantum field theory so I have no real opinion. I have heard a few prominent physicists say that at some point GR will have to go.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Do you think it is possible, one day, to combine them and to solve this problem?

Or is impossible?
Easy piecy case. Just read the Old Visdom of cultural Ancient Myths of Creation and interpret the text and symbols into modern astrological and cosmological terms. Then you have unity everywhere.

exchemist

Veteran Member
For decades, theoretical physicists have been trying two fundamental physics theories - General Relativity and Quantum Mechanics - into a single encompassing theory - the Theory of Everything.

Or is impossible?
Do you really think you are going to get an informed answer to this question, over which the best theoretical physicists have been racking their brains for decades, on a religious forum?

All we can say here, I think, is that science has shown itself in the past able to reconcile models that seemed incompatible, so there is reason to hope it can do so again. But that's kind of obvious, really and does not get us any further forward.

Yerda

Veteran Member
Easy piecy case. Just read the Old Visdom of cultural Ancient Myths of Creation and interpret the text and symbols into modern astrological and cosmological terms. Then you have unity everywhere.
Can you demonstrate what you are asserting here?

Audie

Veteran Member

Or is impossible?
Easy peze.. "Goddidit"

WalterTrull

Godfella
Where there's a will...
Also: What can be dreamed, can be thought, can be done. It is, after all, a mental universe "Our father, who art in heaven..." Cool.
Another also: Bearing in mind that our constructs are only that, we remember the bottom line: "Thy will be done in earth..." more coolness.:cool:

My take, obviously. :)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
Someone has to do it, may as well be me

1_oA63oJ2qoBYiIQ4Wzy8YKw.jpg

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!

What?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Or is impossible?
I believe Consciousness/Brahman/God is fundamental so I doubt there can ever be a physical theory that can explain everything.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know. I'm not a physicist. But I do know it's incorrect call a theory that unifies to elements of their discipline a "theory of everything." Sorry, physicists, but your discipline isn't everything.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Or is impossible?

Well, String theory claims to have unified the two. The only problem is that it doesn't pass the test of making predictions (so far). That is fatal.

There are other candidates, like Loop Quantum Gravity. But again, the energies involved are too high to allow testable predictions.

And this is the BIG problem with quantum gravity. Even if you manage to unify QM and GR into a common theory, the energies involved to actually test the theory are so far above anything we can create that it becomes more philosophy than science.

I saw one estimate that a particle accelerator to test quantum gravity would have to be the size of our galaxy. Which means the only potential test is in cosmic rays (or, we need different accelerator technology).

Native

The standing divisons in cosmological theories and between scientific branches is sort of predicted 2330 BC, by the Babel Curse Myth:

"According to the story, a united human race in the generations following the Great Flood, speaking a single language and migrating eastward, comes to the land of Shinar (שִׁנְעָר‎). There they agree to build a city and a tower tall enough to reach heaven. God, observing their city and tower, confounds their speech so that they can no longer understand each other, and scatters them around the world".

Once upon time humans spoke with 1 tongue and nowadays in the overall scientific branches there are x-numbers of Babel i.e. *babble* tongues, which don´t understand each others branches or even parts of the same branch.

*Babble* - as in *disconnected speculations* - has indeed become the international scientific language.

Prediction confirmed and fulfilled as fact.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Or is impossible?
Hard to say, especially since sub-atomic particles tend to behave quite differently than megamatter.

Native

@Polymath257 - Thanks for your excellent oversight view here:
Well, String theory claims to have unified the two. The only problem is that it doesn't pass the test of making predictions (so far). That is fatal.

There are other candidates, like Loop Quantum Gravity. But again, the energies involved are too high to allow testable predictions.

§ 1) And this is the BIG problem with quantum gravity. Even if you manage to unify QM and GR into a common theory, the energies involved to actually test the theory are so far above anything we can create that it becomes more philosophy than science.

§ 2) I saw one estimate that a particle accelerator to test quantum gravity would have to be the size of our galaxy. Which means the only potential test is in cosmic rays (or, we need different accelerator technology).
AD § 1) Thats *really a problem* when the subject of philosophy is rejected.

AD § 2) Why not just use our Milky Way galaxy itself as an accelerator? I´ve provided the knowledge of this numerous times for you. You know that our Milky Way contains *cosmic rays*, don´t you? Or did you sleep in the class, when I told you?

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
I think we are still a long, LONG, way from ever obtaining a single conceptual theory of the way existence exists. So far, the deeper into it we look, the more inexplicable it becomes. And the more answers we get, the more questions they generate.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I don't know. I'm not a physicist. But I do know it's incorrect call a theory that unifies to elements of their discipline a "theory of everything." Sorry, physicists, but your discipline isn't everything.
I understand, the OP has used the natural word " everything" as a limited term for his discipline, they don't have a "language" of their own so they do such weird things sometimes, please. Right, please?

Regards