• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theology in your Tradition

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Theology, simply defined, is the study of god(s), particularly critical examination of god(s) nature and the implications that nature has for life and living. All theistic religions have some form of theology, though it may be more or less formalized depending on the tradition. What I'd like us to think about in this thread is the role theology - the study of god(s) - has in our own religious traditions. You can use the questions below as starting points to get you thinking, but by no means feel limited to them! :D
  • Is active study of the god(s) - practicing theology - important in your tradition? Are there formal or established institutions where people can go and study the theology of your religion? Is it something everybody can do, or something only a few people do?
  • How do you approach studying the gods of your tradition? Do you connect with your gods and rely on direct personal experience? Do you listen to those you feel have a divine connection, such as a priest? Do you favor critical examination of literary texts that are sacred to your tradition? Something else entirely?
  • What sorts of discoveries have you made about god(s) during your studies? Did you ever encounter anything that challenged you or confused you? Perhaps something that made you smile or made you angry?
  • How has your study of god(s) impacted your religious practices? Did it change the rituals or prayers you do? Have you found yourself drawn to elements of your religious tradition that weren't appealing before? Something else?

Jeremiah Ames

1. I have no traditions.
2. Study of God (no traditions) through the Bible, internet, others with knowledge of God. I have a personal divine connection.
3. I discovered God is pure love and truth. He does not lie, condemn, punish, or smote. God always makes me smile, but since He has a great sense of humor, I am capable of returning the favor.
4. Lets see. No more church on Sunday. Much more studying and learning more about God’s character.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I gotta be very brief.

Are there formal or established institutions where people can go and study the theology of your religion?
Books and visitations as I love to study various religions.

Do you connect with your gods and rely on direct personal experience?
More the latter as I've gone through a couple of times here at RF what happened to me a couple of years ago that quite shook me up.

What sorts of discoveries have you made about god(s) during your studies?
Some may not like this, but I tend to think that most "gods" are a manifestation of our willingness to wonder matched with our heavy reliance on hear-say "information". IOW, we sorta likely invented them.

Did you ever encounter anything that challenged you or confused you?
All the time. I can call my religion "Confusionism".

How has your study of god(s) impacted your religious practices?
I do believe there is Something, but it's beyond my IQ to define or explain It. I tend to take the Spinoza/Einstein position that Something(s) probably are reflected in "Nature" (all encompassing), which was Spinoza's alternative name for God.

Did it change the rituals or prayers you do?
Primarily meditation matched with words of thanksgiving. I tend to think most answers are already inside us, but certainly not all of them.

pearl

Is active study of the god(s) - practicing theology - important in your tradition? Are there formal or established institutions where people can go and study the theology of your religion? Is it something everybody can do, or something only a few people do?

1 very
2 yes
3 open to everybody

How do you approach studying the gods of your tradition? Do you connect with your gods and rely on direct personal experience? Do you listen to those you feel have a divine connection, such as a priest? Do you favor critical examination of literary texts that are sacred to your tradition? Something else entirely?

1 always begins with Scripture understood from the 'word' as human
2 theology without faith experience is useless.
3 if he too has a respect for theology
4 without such criticism the intent of the author is not distinguished from the narrative
as a vehicle to convey the intent.

What sorts of discoveries have you made about god(s) during your studies?

That God is and always will be an incomprehensible Mystery.
"If you think you understand God, it is not God you understand."
God is not a name, simply what we have named this Mystery.

Did you ever encounter anything that challenged you or confused you?

Did and do, that's the understood part of the quest.

How has your study of god(s) impacted your religious practices? Did it change the rituals or prayers you do? Have you found yourself drawn to elements of your religious tradition that weren't appealing before?

1 greater closeness and understanding when hearing Scriptures.
2 other than formal prayer words get in the way of prayer.
3 its possible to reconcile faith and knowledge.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Theology, simply defined, is the study of god(s), particularly critical examination of god(s) nature and the implications that nature has for life and living. All theistic religions have some form of theology, though it may be more or less formalized depending on the tradition. What I'd like us to think about in this thread is the role theology - the study of god(s) - has in our own religious traditions. You can use the questions below as starting points to get you thinking, but by no means feel limited to them! :D
  • Is active study of the god(s) - practicing theology - important in your tradition? Are there formal or established institutions where people can go and study the theology of your religion? Is it something everybody can do, or something only a few people do?
  • How do you approach studying the gods of your tradition? Do you connect with your gods and rely on direct personal experience? Do you listen to those you feel have a divine connection, such as a priest? Do you favor critical examination of literary texts that are sacred to your tradition? Something else entirely?
  • What sorts of discoveries have you made about god(s) during your studies? Did you ever encounter anything that challenged you or confused you? Perhaps something that made you smile or made you angry?
  • How has your study of god(s) impacted your religious practices? Did it change the rituals or prayers you do? Have you found yourself drawn to elements of your religious tradition that weren't appealing before? Something else?
Most of Hinduism scriptures that are read today are theological since knowing God (gnosis) is the primary aim in Hinduism. Unlike in Abrahamic texts, Hinduism scriptural texts are true revelations as nature of God is revealed in them. They are not concerned with giving laws or commandments for society as those are considered changeable over time and the responsibility of humans themselves. Hence those are part of shastra, treatises written by experts and learned men of their times.

syo

Is active study of the god(s) - practicing theology - important in your tradition? Are there formal or established institutions where people can go and study the theology of your religion? Is it something everybody can do, or something only a few people do?
there is a university that teaches theology. theology is very important and anyone can study it.
How do you approach studying the gods of your tradition? Do you connect with your gods and rely on direct personal experience? Do you listen to those you feel have a divine connection, such as a priest? Do you favor critical examination of literary texts that are sacred to your tradition? Something else entirely?
all of the above.
christianity introduces the afterlife. there is life beyond death. our current life is a preparation for what it will come. so we must always strive for goodness.

Cherub786

Islamic theology is both extremely simple and yet very rich at the same time. At the most basic level, we worship God who is absolutely One, indivisible, and we believe He is the Creator. Our God has no Image that can be seen, He is both Transcendent and Immanent. We relate to God not through imagery or idolatry, but through prayer and knowledge of His many Names and Attributes. We come to know about the nature of God through His Attributes, because we don't give Him any form, image, shape, or visualization.

arthra

Baha'i
All theistic religions have some form of theology, though it may be more or less formalized depending on the tradition. What I'd like us to think about in this thread is the role theology - the study of god(s) - has in our own religious traditions.

Baha'is have no clergy or schools of theology nor people we would classify as "theologians". But considering the definition of the word "theology" as "the study of religious faith, practice, and experience; especially : the study of God and of God's relation to the world" I think I would say that our Faith is based largely on day to day practices of prayer, fasting and the community, that is primarily the Baha'i communities where we live.
We also have study circles where we offer a variety of subjects for study and reflection:
The Ruhi Institute - Programs and Materials
We do have a more academic institution called the Wilmete Institute:
Wilmette Institute – An Online Baha'i Learning Center

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Alright let's get started on these questions. Looks fun :D

1) I think theology is important in my tradition, as Buddhists historically affirm the place of gods in the Cosmos, and call on them for things like protecting the teaching and the practitioners. However, the Dharma's practice is sometimes stated as more protective than the gods. To study the theology of my religion you could read traditional texts by thinkers like Nagarjuna that talk about the wars of the gods against Mara, the evil one, and look at some traditional prayer books that include Deva invocations. Many Buddhists could be studying our worldview's theology, but I think only a few do- as relying on the gods will not bring ultimate liberation in Buddhism. Only chanting to the Buddhas and Bodhisattvas is said to have any salvific merits.

2) I chant and pray to the gods of the Buddhist tradition, as well as some others I feel drawn to. I have had dreams I think was from a deity to warn or advise me, but I try to be careful about going to feelings about stuff like that. I do look at the myths of the Devas, but I don't treat them as literal or necessarily important. Buddhism critiqued what it considered more primitive notions of gods when it came about, and some of those gods are better beings than they might have been- by following the Buddha's teaching and taking refuge in the Triple Gem. The Blessed Buddha is called the teacher of gods and men. For the Buddhas awaken to and reflect a reality higher than the gods, or anything that exists.

3) I don't focus on gods enough besides veneration to talk much of that, but I have discovered my deities are happy I'm on the Dharmic path. The gods have always protected philosophy I think, and means people try for liberation.

My studies do indicate that by Buddhist view some gods like Indra and Brahma have become Buddhists, so these are my fellow practitioners of the Buddha way. They are said by traditional authors to love and be especially attentive to the human practitioners of the Dharma- because we are their brothers and sisters in the Sangha.

4) I think not many Buddhists in the modern chant or pray to the gods because they don't feel particularly concerned with the god realm, but I know that in historical Buddhism it's an important subject. The karma of the gods also touches the Cosmos and it's good to be kind and attentive to unseen beings. I do pray to the gods and chant mantras in my daily practice. I also ask any deities present after to take refuge in the Triple Gem, if it pleases them. It is seen as virtuous to invite gods to Buddhism, because if a god becomes a Buddhist they'll be a great force for good karma and merits, and protect the Dharma- in ways that is not within human ability to be.

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
1.Theology is the primary importance of my religion. I make great effort to study both the gods and the world in front of me so I can make sense of it all. It is debatable whether anybody can study paganism but it also must be understood that because of the fluidity of paganism itself that it should never remain static unless it wishes to wither in the shadows. To study paganism is merely to understand philosophy and approach the world in a deistic mindset.

2. I do feel that personal experience with gods are important and highly desirable in enriching yourself in the practice. But more importantly wisdom is more vital because it permits correct decisions making in how one approaching the study of the historicity of paganism and the foundations of it. Literary critique is most important to have a thriving pagan mind.

3. For me I have long since come to grips with polytheism and why monotheism is irrelevant. I see no boundaries for monotheism and notice that it will always become polytheism at the end of the day. My personal experience with Christianity and Islam have made me notice how polytheistic and idolatrous they are in practice oppose to their theology. This of course gives me paranoia about my own religion as if I do not create a uniformity between my theology, rituals, and practices then they may conflict if I profess polytheism yet practice monotheism.

4. My studying of the gods was a rather fickle one since I continued this when I was an atheist and had to go through lengthy periods of time where I would have to reassure myself I am an atheist and not a theist and this would always tear at me since I intellectually could not justify atheism at all especially with my own knowledge. This made me come out of my atheism and become the most religious I have every been in my entire life.

I was never a great Christian and was a mediocre Muslim in how I behaved and acted and I was a miserable atheist but now I am a whole and complete pagan with fervent dedication to the gods. I recall hating to wake up in the morning and do Fajr prayer yet now praying and worshiping the gods is something I look forward to. No matter how simple the act of worship might be I enjoy my rituals and practices and have formulated them as befitting of whom I worship. It is a moment I can act without vanity, greed, or self interest and frees me of a lot of ills I may have or could develop.

GoodbyeDave

Our position is fairly simple. The gods exist and worshiping them is both natural and beneficial. Knowledge of the gods derives from experience, validated by repetition. Obviously one person's experience could be delusional, but huge numbers over centuries: only a fool would dismiss that.

Some people have written on the subject, but no special study is required. With no scriptures to expound (or explain away) and no elaborate doctrines or laws to defend, there's not a lot to say.

Obviously when one converts to a reconstructed religion there's a lot to learn about the gods and practice, but there's nothing as extensive as the Catholic catechism, let alone the average textbook of Christian theology.