• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Theological Territories"

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
I enjoyed this collection of essays by David Bentley Hart so much and found them so engaging that I just had to share. More people need to know the works of this brilliant man.

Here is a (Zoom of course) discussion with him about his book. It is a wonderful chat but the book is SO much more.

About the book:

"The essays within this volume are divided into five sections: the nature of theology, the relations between theology and science, the connections between gospel and culture, the literary representations of and engagements with transcendence, and the New Testament. Hart responds to influential books, theologians, philosophers, and poets, including Rowan Williams, Jean-Luc Marion, Tomáš Halík, Sergei Bulgakov, Jennifer Newsome Martin, and David Jones. Drawn from live lectures delivered in various settings, these essays show how Hart’s mind works with the academic veneer of more formal pieces stripped away. Theological Territories contains new and expanded material previously unpublished by Hart and will appeal to both academic and non-academic readers interested in the place of theology in the modern world."

Theological Territories

Hart is of Eastern Orthodox tradition but draws from many and not just Christian. You can read the names of the essays at Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Theological-...theological+territories&qid=1606954565&sr=8-1

I hope you enjoy the video. They discuss a variety of topics. The later part of the chat on science and religion is very good, though just a tease; the essays on the subject are much much more. The first essay on tragedy and the Christian Gospel was something new for me to think about.

Last edited:

pearl

It is also available on ' Kindle' which offers a 'look inside'. I found interesting the introduction on chapters 12 and 13, concerning the death penalty. 'Christians and the Death Penalty, there is no Patron Saint of Executioners, and, 'By Man Shell His Blood be Shed' A Catholic Defense of Capitol Punishment'.
There continues to be the call to strike down the death penalty and will probably once again reach the Supreme Court which now has a number of Catholic Justices.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
It is also available on ' Kindle' which offers a 'look inside'. I found interesting the introduction on chapters 12 and 13, concerning the death penalty. 'Christians and the Death Penalty, there is no Patron Saint of Executioners, and, 'By Man Shell His Blood be Shed' A Catholic Defense of Capitol Punishment'.
There continues to be the call to strike down the death penalty and will probably once again reach the Supreme Court which now has a number of Catholic Justices.

Yes, thank you for pointing that out. That essay was actually the first one I read in the book because I have heard Hart talk about the topic before and I wanted to hear his position in greater detail. He has a very sharp tongue by the way, as you will see, when he shreds his opponents (or refutes their arguments while reviewing their book or paper) :)

But anyway, his argument (that no Christian can support the death penalty) is powerful, irrefutable, and should be read by all Christians.