• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theocracy

Would you prefer to live under theocratic law?

• Yes

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 89.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 5.5%

• Total voters

Soandso

I'm just curious how people here feel about theocracies. Would you prefer that your country had a state sponsored religion who's laws are structured around that religion?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A combination would be good, to start with.

Humanity looking after their affairs based on the laws and morals given by God.

Regards Tony

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The difficulty of defining religion makes this a complicated question. From a certain point of view, laws are already structured and developed based on religious beliefs and practices. It's difficult to meaningfully distinguish between culture and religion, or between religion and philosophy. Gotta get into specifics.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Which god. Your inevitable answer illustrates the problem, regardless of what that answer is.

No problem, as there is only one God and the morals and virtues that build strong communities, are also not lost, just greatly neglected.

When the world gives up war, these issues can be addressed.

Regards Tony

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
No problem, as there is only one God and the morals and virtues that build strong communities, are also not lost, just greatly neglected.

The Iranian regime believes the same, and they persecute Baha'is because they believe Baha'is deviate from the teachings of the "only God."

That's theocracy in a nutshell: it's state law playing favorites toward religions and personal beliefs.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
I'm just curious how people here feel about theocracies. Would you prefer that your country had a state sponsored religion who's laws are structured around that religion?

Theocracies come in many forms. Some I approve of… others I do not approve of. So, my answer would be: it depends. I am perfectly content with my country remaining a Democratic Republic… but, depending on who is running things, and how they are running it- I might be open to a theocracy. I favor many pantheons, and can see many directions this could go.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
I can't imagine what a syntheist or Earthseed theocracy would be like. Would the government force people to create a more divine God? How would that happen? The way I look at it, social capitalism in liberal democracies is already creating a more divine God as it is. An Earthseed theocracy wouldn't change what people do but how they think, which could be dangerous given the fact that there are so many Christians and Muslims and so few members of Earthseed.

Any other theocratic rule, based on any other religion, including the lack of religion like an atheist, humanist or agnostic theocracy, would be disastrous and destroy the very fundamentals of western liberal democracy. The one person who said "yes" to this poll is probably overly and overtly religious and may actually live in a theocracy right now, such as Sharia law or under Islamic fundamentalism. May actually be a troll too. I find that no matter how decisive a poll can be, if there is enough people answering it, there will be that one or few people who argue towards the contrary, just to keep things interesting.

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The Iranian regime believes the same, and they persecute Baha'is because they believe Baha'is deviate from the teachings of the "only God."

That's theocracy in a nutshell: it's state law playing favorites toward religions and personal beliefs.

That is why I did not vote for theocracy, I voted for an alternative.

You have not contemplated what I offered.

Regards Tony

The Kilted Heathen

Crow FreyjasmaðR
Only if people make it one,
You already have. "There is only one god" - thank you for invalidating my beliefs (no, I am not alone) and demanding that I recognize yours as the leading authority on divinity.

I have found God is all wise and all knowing.
Lovely. Then you live your life how you deem your god says to, and leave others to theirs.

Meanwhile our society ought be governed by everyone, finding common ground that does not limit the rights of others.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
A combination would be good, to start with.

Humanity looking after their affairs based on the laws and morals given by God.

Regards Tony

The Baha'i Faith doesn't even allow its members to join political parties. How would a combination of democratic and theocratic rule work in a religion which you aren't allowed to even choose a side in debates?