• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theocracy: Good v Bad

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
"Theocracy, government by divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided. In many theocracies, government leaders are members of the clergy, and the state's legal system is based on religious law. Theocratic rule was typical of early civilizations."

theocracy | Definition, Examples, & Facts

Is a theocracy really a bad thing? Or can it be/do good?

What if the Theocracy put in place respects all religions, run by a parliament of multiple religious clergy, such as Abrahamics, Hindu, Pagan, and Buddhists, for instance.

What if we remove the section of the definition where laws are based around a specific religion itself? A humanistic theocracy perhaps. Run by philosopher-kings.
It's neither good nor bad, inherently. It just depends.

"Theocracy, government by divine guidance or by officials who are regarded as divinely guided. In many theocracies, government leaders are members of the clergy, and the state's legal system is based on religious law. Theocratic rule was typical of early civilizations."

What if the Theocracy put in place respects all religions, run by a parliament of multiple religious clergy, such as Abrahamics, Hindu, Pagan, and Buddhists, for instance.

What if we remove the section of the definition where laws are based around a specific religion itself? A humanistic theocracy perhaps. Run by philosopher-kings.

Theocracy is great if you're the leader, bad if you're a commoner.

InChrist

Free4ever

I think any theocracy led by humans is very dangerous and would tend to become oppressive. It has happened before in history and I believe we will see it occur on a global scale when the antichrist assumes world rule.

The only legitimate and safe theocracy I foresee will be the millennial reign of the Prince of Peace, Jesus Christ, when He returns.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

Personally speaking, I think a religious theocracy is a terrible idea, whether it's Christian oriented or not. First, how will a dominate religion be chosen? For instance, if Christianity is chosen as the most popular religion, then which version of the Christian religion will end up as the dominate one? Will it be the Roman Catholic Church or Protestantism or Orthodox or Eastern Orthodox?

Let's say Protestantism is the most popular choice of all Christian sects, then which Protestant Denomination will overshadow all other Christian churches? Will it be Non-Denominational, Presbyterian, Pentecostal, The Church of God, The Church of Christ, First Baptist, Second Baptist, Southern Baptist, Anabaptist, United Methodist, Church of the Nazarene, Anglican, Lutheran or Assemblies of God? Honestly, the task of choosing a specific Christian church to dominate would be a daunting responsibility, considering that there are hundreds of Christian denominations to choose from. I can't even imagine the total chaos and dissension that will cause.

Secondly, how will this dominate sect of Christianity be enforced? And lastly, what will happen to the people who don't adhere to any sect of Christianity? What would happen to human rights and civil rights? Would the people who don't adhere to Christianity eventually be classified, and treated, as second class citizens in this theocracy? Would unbelievers be rounded up and imprisoned?

As I've said before on a similar topic, freedom of religion is a cherished right in America, and the right to choose one's own religion (or no religion) should be protected, at all costs, IMHO. Personally, I'm thankful I have the right to choose my own spiritual path.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

Theocracy is not a “good” or a “bad” thing. I can see many outcomes in which I would definitely approve of it... same with other forms of government. It just all comes down to the people in power and how successful they are at strengthening and leading their country.