• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Then you should change the teaching.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
….no mechanism to decide.

I can’t speak for other religions, but for Christians, actually there is… Jesus was aware that interpretations would be profuse, so he cut through all that, by stating that actions would help one to decide: John 13:35 … love would be a noticeable feature of genuine Christians. Matthew 5:44 takes that love even further. When God puts His spirit on either an individual or a group, there are “fruitages” that one should expect to see. That others can see / observe. Galatians 5:22-23.

This eliminates the need to search / examine all doctrines. As you correctly intimated, such a search would never end!

Take care!

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't know where you got this number (or what a "spiritual path" is) but anyway, as long as there are multiple paths and no way to decide which is the right, then I keep agnostic about all of them.
I heard it first time through Falun Gong, but I have spoken to spiritual teachers in Himalaya who also confirmed this without me asking or telling about Falun Gong first.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I can’t speak for other religions, but for Christians, actually there is… Jesus was aware that interpretations would be profuse, so he cut through all that, by stating that actions would help one to decide: John 13:35 … love would be a noticeable feature of genuine Christians. Matthew 5:44 takes that love even further. When God puts His spirit on either an individual or a group, there are “fruitages” that one should expect to see. That others can see / observe. Galatians 5:22-23.

This eliminates the need to search / examine all doctrines. As you correctly intimated, such a search would never end!

Take care!
Christianity's scorecard isn't that immaculate. Especially when it comes to the topic of this thread. Scriptures have been changed, edited, selected, translated so that we don't even know what it originally was. No harm in changing it again.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Okay. If you follow my teachings, you'll gain eternal life and heaven.

Post mortem promises are easy to make because they're impossible to verify.
I am not seeking any offer. My post was in your reply to your post for Seeker of White Light. Offer this to him, perhaps he would be interested.
And don't tell him that post-mortem promises are easy to make because that will make your offer loose all force.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Which God? Which scripture? Yahweh said something different from the Christian God, the Christian God said something different from the Muslim God, the Muslim God said something different from the Bahai God, the Bahai God said something different from the Hindu God, so on and so forth. So which God should we believe? Which scripture?
All of them.

Colt

I read this is an other thread. And it got me thinking.

No, we humans can not just change the scriptures to our liking, we can't just remove or add to a religious scripture what we "want " it to say.
If we did, it would be a voilation of Gods truth.

It is the humans who would have to change according to the scriptures.

Thoughts?
That would be true if the scripture were really inerrant, written by God. The literate, elite priest class who created the scripture already changed it a number of times.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That you cannot, because we may have more than 5000 Gods and Goddesses, and other religions insist on one.
Some religions say there is one Supreme God yes, others say many Gods. But why should we as non enlighten humans try to change the scriptures to fit our own needs, when the scriptures say exactly the opposite? We should adapt to the teaching we follow

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Scriptures have been changed, edited, selected, translated so that we don't even know what it originally was.

You’ve been told that. But I betcha can’t prove that.

in fact, the DDS have revealed just how well the ancient Bible books have been preserved.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Take care!
If I can get your opinion on something, real quick.
What do you make of the harsh divides among Christian sects?
Like condemning each other to hell over differences in interpretations?
Is that just an example of how flawed humanity is in general? Like where do you think such animosity comes from?
Because to me that seems to go against Jesus’ teachings and indeed is seemingly egged on by certain preachers for their own monetary benefit. But I’m not a Christian so I can’t comment with any authority on the matter

(Not saying that such a thing is exclusive to Christianity obviously. Just to be clear.)

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
How would you determine that what the scriptures say is God's truth and not just human creation?

Language allows room for many different interpretations. Then there are differences in language from original text to translated copy.

When can scriptures be taken literally vs. figuratively, or metaphorically?

I don't see a coherent vision in the scriptures I've read. Is God esoteric, or does God speak plain language?

No, we humans can not just change the scriptures to our liking, we can't just remove or add to a religious scripture what we "want " it to say.
If we did, it would be a voilation of Gods truth.

It is the humans who would have to change according to the scriptures.

Thoughts?

Most of the New Testament wasn't even written to be scripture, it just happened to become scripture.

For at least some Protestants, from the reformation onwards, it has been accepted that anyone could, in theory, be blessed by the Holy Spirit with new understanding or even revelation.

The Catholic Church has accepted that meanings of scripture may be revised based on new information as human interpretation is always fallible.

People have always changed scripture (or at least its interpretation) to their liking. It is not a modern trend.