• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Then you should change the teaching.

danieldemol

Premium Member
That is a point in contention. What is one demonstration for instance?
Well the OP was written by a Baha'i, so rather than going after the low hanging fruit of Genesis which has been done to death anyway may as well let the buck stop with Baha'u'llah.

Baha'u'llah said, 'For instance, consider the substance of copper. Were it to be protected in its own mine from becoming solidified, it would, within the space of seventy years, attain to the state of gold.'

Source: Bahá'í Reference Library - The Kitáb-i-Íqán, Pages 121-160

So what initiates your thoughts before you are aware of them? In other words if it is something you are not aware of then are they really your own thoughts or the thoughts of whatever originally initiated them into your awareness?
The subconscious brain initiated them into concious awareness.

In my opinion.

setarcos

The hopeful or the hopeless?
It's circular logic if the claim is "this religion's prophet is authentic because the prophet's religion says he is."
Okay seems reasonable. And which religion claims this? Or are you saying all religions claim that in order to authenticate their prophets?

Muffled

Jesus in me
I love and believe in the Wise Buddha. His Words are so profound.

If people followed the original teachings I don’t think religion would have become so divided because the original texts teach love and unity.

I believe as wise and profound as the Buddha seems, he is just plain wrong about many things.

setarcos

so rather than going after the low hanging fruit of Genesis which has been done to death anyway
I think its been done to death because neither side actually listens to the other sides explanations.
Baha'u'llah said, 'For instance,
I'm not familiar enough with the Baha'i faith to comment on their books. As for what you quoted I'd need to know the context in which this was made. If it what meant to portray literal elements, actions, and results for instance. I'd need to know what initiated this statement to be given and as a response to what in the conversation it is found in etc. Often religions statements are merely a fine patina covering deeper truths.

The subconscious brain initiated them into concious awareness.
Do you not find it fascinating and the implications "mind" blowing that the "you" that you are aware of, your thoughts and resultant actions etc. were created and initiated into reality by something that you are not aware of, In essence something that you cannot identify as being from the you that you are aware of? What then are you independently in control of?

danieldemol

Premium Member
I think its been done to death because neither side actually listens to the other sides explanations.
I think you are levelling;
Leveling as a Manipulation Tactic

I'm not familiar enough with the Baha'i faith to comment on their books. As for what you quoted I'd need to know the context in which this was made. If it what meant to portray literal elements, actions, and results for instance. I'd need to know what initiated this statement to be given and as a response to what in the conversation it is found in etc. Often religions statements are merely a fine patina covering deeper truths.
I gave a link to the statement in its original context to allow you to judge that for yourself.

Do you not find it fascinating and the implications "mind" blowing that the "you" that you are aware of, your thoughts and resultant actions etc. were created and initiated into reality by something that you are not aware of, In essence something that you cannot identify as being from the you that you are aware of? What then are you independently in control of?
Who said im independently in control? Your question is loaded with assumption.

In my opinion.

setarcos

I think you are levelling;
I'm sorry. What makes you think that? I hate to think that someone believes I'm manipulating them, let alone actually doing it.
Are you saying your character is superior to mine because you listen but I don't? Perhaps you think I only feign listening to others while promoting only my own opinions? I assure you that's not the case but since either way cannot be proven my statement was meant and shall remain a personal opinion with no baring on this discussion.
I'd be more than willing to resurrect a discussion about your qualms with genesis if you like. After all it would be a new discussion since we haven't discussed it ourselves it hasn't been done to death by us specifically. I'd love to know why you consider it to be low hanging fruit.
I gave a link to the statement in its original context to allow you to judge that for yourself.
Thanks I'll give it a go.
Who said im independently in control? Your question is loaded with assumption.
That was meant as a question with an obvious answer. Which is, not much.
Your reply didn't answer the question though....don't you find it at least curious that you can function as an individual only by receiving information from something else indistinguishable from itself being a conscious and sentient entity? In other words your for all intents and purposes a sentient puppet. The implications are that their is something beyond mere physicality which exists. No one on earth can explain how the physical mass inside your skull can create the sense of conscious awareness you experience let alone the coherent information which allows for you to have a meaningfully aware existence being given by something which must itself be aware in order to coherently deliver that awareness you are aware of. Its absolutely astounding....well, to me anyway. This speaks of God to me.

danieldemol

Premium Member
I'm sorry. What makes you think that? I hate to think that someone believes I'm manipulating them, let alone actually doing it.
Are you saying your character is superior to mine because you listen but I don't? Perhaps you think I only feign listening to others while promoting only my own opinions? I assure you that's not the case but since either way cannot be proven my statement was meant and shall remain a personal opinion with no baring on this discussion.
You accused both sides of not listening. I'm part of the side that listens, but don't mistake rejecting your conclusions for not listening.

I'd be more than willing to resurrect a discussion about your qualms with genesis if you like. After all it would be a new discussion since we haven't discussed it ourselves it hasn't been done to death by us specifically. I'd love to know why you consider it to be low hanging fruit.
Ok, but I think it is worth a separate thread, so if you agree to it I'll start a new thread and tag you in it.

Thanks I'll give it a go.
Your welcome

That was meant as a question with an obvious answer. Which is, not much.
Your reply didn't answer the question though....don't you find it at least curious that you can function as an individual only by receiving information from something else indistinguishable from itself being a conscious and sentient entity?
If by curious you mean do I find the interaction between the concious and subconscious brain interesting the answer is yes.

In other words your for all intents and purposes a sentient puppet. The implications are that their is something beyond mere physicality which exists.
I dont see how that is implied. Suppose if you created an AI robot. It too would be a sentient puppet in spite of being entirely physical.

No one on earth can explain how the physical mass inside your skull can create the sense of conscious awareness you experience let alone the coherent information which allows for you to have a meaningfully aware existence being given by something which must itself be aware in order to coherently deliver that awareness you are aware of.
I dont see why the subconscious brain has to be aware in order to set in motion awareness.
I'm no neuro-scientist, but I doubt that awareness is delivered as a complete package, I'm inclined to think of it more being like an electrical impulse from the subconscious brain setting off electrical activity in the conscious region of the brain.

Think of conciousness analogously being like the way an induction coil sets off petro-chemical activity in a motor rather than being like a radio receiver receiving a complete transmission from a transmitter.

Humans don't have receivers in their brains so there is nothing there to receive an external signal and convert it into the electrical activity of the brain.

The only receivers the brain comes with are eyes, ears, nose, taste receptors, touch sensory receptors. Therefore it seems clear enough that the brain's consciousness arises from how it processes these inputs.

If you are going to claim a sixth input, you have to explain a lot of contrary evidence away such as;

The fact that the brain has no mechanism for processing spiritual to electrochemical inputs (ie the reciever isn't there).

The fact that the way brains process their inputs can be altered by altering brain structure (one wouldn't expect this to occur if conciousness was recieved complete.)

The fact that when brains are anasthesatised conciousness temporarily ceases (one wouldn't expect this to occur if the source of conciousness was external, rather the second that anaesthetic wears off one would expect re-connection with the source of awareness would reveal all the fine details of what has been going on in the absence of brain activity).

Its absolutely astounding....well, to me anyway. This speaks of God to me.
Another leap, even if spirits exist and are the source of conciousness that is no reason that an All-knowing Omnipotent spirit exists (assuming that's what you mean by "God")

In my opinion.

setarcos

You accused both sides of not listening. I'm part of the side that listens, but don't mistake rejecting your conclusions for not listening.
If by accusing both sides you mean that I've formulated a personal opinion based upon personal experience then yes I accuse both sides. However the statement was meant as a general observation not specific to our conversation and admittedly not relevant to this specific conversation. Here's what I said....
"I assure you that's not the case but since either way cannot be proven my statement was meant and shall remain a personal opinion with no baring on this discussion."
I'm part of the side that listens, but don't mistake rejecting your conclusions for not listening.
Ironically this statement too hints at leveling since it is unproven opinion but I will be content to assume your being honest.
Ok, but I think it is worth a separate thread, so if you agree to it I'll start a new thread and tag you in it.
Sounds good.
I dont see how that is implied. Suppose if you created an AI robot. It too would be a sentient puppet in spite of being entirely physical.
It has been well studied and known how the physical aspects of the brains functioning can be shown to reflect the manifestation of specific awareness in a person however the question of the origin of coherent conscious awareness in humans not only hasn't been answered, no one to my knowledge has presented a way to even begin answering that question. It is called the hard problem of consciousness. There is no known way to account for the epiphenomena of consciousness to be attributed to the physicality of the brain.
As far as AI goes, it is artificial intelligence because it cannot be shown to be sentient of its own accord. No AI program in existence has yet shown sentient action apart from a sentient beings initial input...though some scientists like to tout that they are close.:rolleyes:
That robot may be a puppet, but not a sentient one. Anyway you've simply moved the question to a thing based on something other than biology.
You still have the question of present coherence based on future knowledge. For instance, how do we make meaningful sentences in our conversations? Are you aware of the sentence you will say in its entirety before you say it? Do you put together the sentence on the fly one word after another? How will you start the sentence so it is relevant to the situation? How would you know since many words can be used in many different situations? Somehow the future is coherent and the past is our awareness of that coherence. In order for that future to be coherent some sentience has to be aware of the present all at once, not linearly, and pass that information into our awareness (our perceived present) which would then be its past.

I dont see why the subconscious brain has to be aware in order to set in motion awareness.
Your not alone, no one else can either but it seems something must be aware to deliver awareness.
If something weren't which we get our coherence from then how can you guarantee coherence instead of chaos? Especially if were talking about abstractions which do not rely on sensory input. Appropriate linguistic response is not an innate instinct. Coherence requires simultaneity.
I doubt that awareness is delivered as a complete package
That's the conundrum. It must be in order to be coherent.
I'm inclined to think of it more being like an electrical impulse from the subconscious brain setting off electrical activity in the conscious region of the brain.
Okay but how does that impulse know its headed in correct direction without a preexistent map to follow? Perhaps your saying it just shoots off and hopes it hits the appropriate target to start the appropriate thought? Over and over and over again?
Think of conciousness analogously being like the way an induction coil sets off petro-chemical activity in a motor
If there wasn't a consciousness planning out a preexisting firing order and timing for those induction coils can you imagine what it would do to that motor? Wouldn't work very well would it.
The only receivers the brain comes with are eyes, ears, nose, taste receptors, touch sensory receptors. Therefore it seems clear enough that the brain's consciousness arises from how it processes these inputs.
That is a matter in contention. And its not clear at all. Hopefully the above has somewhat shown that to you.
The fact that the brain has no mechanism for processing spiritual to electrochemical inputs (ie the reciever isn't there).

What would such a "receiver" look like so that we may look for it? I mean really, how do you know what to look for let alone if something is there to find? Its already been shown that the brains function can be disrupted via electromagnetic waves. The quantum wave isn't physical nor detectable. Yet its function is imperative to reality. The human brain has been called the most complex system in the known universe. That's quite a complexity and we're nowhere near understanding how the thing functions as far as awareness is concerned.

The fact that the way brains process their inputs can be altered by altering brain structure (one wouldn't expect this to occur if conciousness was recieved complete.)
Why not? Humans are currently tethered to the physical. Whatever creates awareness within us has to work within those constraints. That is that our physical natures can effect the way we receive our awareness of reality and the self.
By the way, the whole point is our consciousness isn't received complete, we simply act as if it is.

when brains are anasthesatised conciousness temporarily ceases (one wouldn't expect this to occur if the source of conciousness was external, rather the second that anaesthetic wears off one would expect re-connection with the source of awareness would reveal all the fine details of what has been going on in the absence of brain activity).
A few problems with this,
1 Our awareness ceases. That says nothing about what provides us coherent awareness when we are aware ceasing nor making us aware of what it provides continuing.
2 Brain activity is not absent during anesthesia.
Exceptions have been documented by medical professionals. Some patients have a sense of awareness even under general anesthesia and even are able to provide evidence of experiences they shouldn't have been capable of having. Conversations, observations of activities within the operating room etc.
Nevertheless, as I've said, humans are tethered to physicality. The fact that our awareness may reflect the manipulation of that physicality says nothing about what provides coherent awareness to begin with. It may very well be that whatever gives us conscious awareness also gives us the awareness to reflect what is being physically manipulated in order to provide an agenda for reality.
Another leap, even if spirits exist and are the source of conciousness that is no reason that an All-knowing Omnipotent spirit exists
Friend, all of life is a leap in one way or another. I never claimed proof of existence of such a being. I simply said it speaks of God "to me".

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
It is the humans who would have to change according to the scriptures.

Thoughts?

It's funny that you should say this as a Baha'i, since the messengers of your religion keep changing the scriptures every few hundred years as to what is morally acceptable and what isn't.

Don't expect anyone to follow your religion, and I won't expect you to follow my religion. Capisce?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
It's funny that you should say this as a Baha'i, since the messengers of your religion keep changing the scriptures every few hundred years as to what is morally acceptable and what isn't.

Don't expect anyone to follow your religion, and I won't expect you to follow my religion. Capisce?
Where did aha'i followers change the teaching so it fit them, and not changing themselves to fit the teaching?

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
Where did Baha'i followers change the teaching so it fit them, and not changing themselves to fit the teaching?

The original creator of the Baha'i Faith, Baha'u'llah, changed Islamic teachings and practices to fit him. How is that not blasphemy by itself? Baha'u'llah had three wives, in accordance to Muslim law, advocated for men of his own religion to only have two, which was then corrected by his son Abdul-Baha for one wife per man. How is that not a blatant disregard of his own teachings and practices? Most of Baha'u'llah kin, including wife and children, ended up staying part of the Muslim tradition, anyways.

danieldemol

Premium Member
It has been well studied and known how the physical aspects of the brains functioning can be shown to reflect the manifestation of specific awareness in a person however the question of the origin of coherent conscious awareness in humans not only hasn't been answered, no one to my knowledge has presented a way to even begin answering that question. It is called the hard problem of consciousness. There is no known way to account for the epiphenomena of consciousness to be attributed to the physicality of the brain.
I'm not so sure there is a problem, we have physical brains, we have consciousness, take out our physical brains we have no consciousness. Just because I don't know the precise nature of how consciousness arises in a brain doesn't mean I can assume that something external to the brain is required for consciousness.

As far as AI goes, it is artificial intelligence because it cannot be shown to be sentient of its own accord. No AI program in existence has yet shown sentient action apart from a sentient beings initial input...though some scientists like to tout that they are close.:rolleyes:
I don't see why this is more than a temporary problem, the inputs of an AI are all physical, so if an AI can show sentience based on physical inputs then perhaps non-physical inputs are not required for sentience.

That robot may be a puppet, but not a sentient one. Anyway you've simply moved the question to a thing based on something other than biology.
I did that to show you that sentience need not be based on the spiritual. AIs are demonstrably physical (we don't manufacture spirits to put in them), so if an AI can gain sentience it would conclusively prove that nothing spritual is required for sentience would it not?

You still have the question of present coherence based on future knowledge. For instance, how do we make meaningful sentences in our conversations? Are you aware of the sentence you will say in its entirety before you say it? Do you put together the sentence on the fly one word after another? How will you start the sentence so it is relevant to the situation? How would you know since many words can be used in many different situations? Somehow the future is coherent and the past is our awareness of that coherence. In order for that future to be coherent some sentience has to be aware of the present all at once, not linearly, and pass that information into our awareness (our perceived present) which would then be its past.
What you say doesn't fully make sense to me here, but it seems like you are trying to insert a spirit into the gaps in our knowledge of how consciousness works. But those gaps are ever shrinking, so I'm not confident you will have a place to hide the spirit for much longer.

Your not alone, no one else can either but it seems something must be aware to deliver awareness.
If something weren't which we get our coherence from then how can you guarantee coherence instead of chaos? Especially if were talking about abstractions which do not rely on sensory input. Appropriate linguistic response is not an innate instinct. Coherence requires simultaneity.
You are assuming your concllusion to say that something simply must be aware to deliver awareness. What does simultaneity mean in the context of coherence and why does coherence require simultaneity? And if appropriate linguistic response does not require sensory input why is it difficult to teach people born deaf to speak?

That's the conundrum. It must be in order to be coherent.
Its an assumed conundrum.

Okay but how does that impulse know its headed in correct direction without a preexistent map to follow? Perhaps your saying it just shoots off and hopes it hits the appropriate target to start the appropriate thought? Over and over and over again?
Not at all, the electrochemical impulse follows neural pathways that are the product of millions of years of evolution and natural selection.

If there wasn't a consciousness planning out a preexisting firing order and timing for those induction coils can you imagine what it would do to that motor? Wouldn't work very well would it.
Sure, but the induction coil has no consciousness on it's own, and with biological processes natural selection plans out the firing order so to speak by removing mutations which don't work from the gene pool, it is like a blind watchmaker.

What would such a "receiver" look like so that we may look for it? I mean really, how do you know what to look for let alone if something is there to find?
To be clear it doesn't make sense to assume something is there without having found it. If you haven't found it and don't know what it looks like perhaps it doesn't exist and its supposed existence is just a figment of your imgaination and assumptions.

Its already been shown that the brains function can be disrupted via electromagnetic waves. The quantum wave isn't physical nor detectable.
If by "quantum wave" you mean electromagnetic wave it is both physical and detectable according to my understanding.

The human brain has been called the most complex system in the known universe. That's quite a complexity and we're nowhere near understanding how the thing functions as far as awareness is concerned.
Sure, but gaps in our knowledge aren't evidence of a spirit.

Why not? Humans are currently tethered to the physical. Whatever creates awareness within us has to work within those constraints. That is that our physical natures can effect the way we receive our awareness of reality and the self.
By the way, the whole point is our consciousness isn't received complete, we simply act as if it is.
Ok, but if our consciousness isn't received complete then why would it require transmission from a completely aware or completely conscious entity? Why couldn't it just be composed in the brain on the basis of sensory inputs interacting with brain structure and chemistry?

A few problems with this,
1 Our awareness ceases. That says nothing about what provides us coherent awareness when we are aware ceasing nor making us aware of what it provides continuing.
2 Brain activity is not absent during anesthesia.
According to my understanding it would be in successfully anasthesatised parts of the brain.
Exceptions have been documented by medical professionals. Some patients have a sense of awareness even under general anesthesia and even are able to provide evidence of experiences they shouldn't have been capable of having. Conversations, observations of activities within the operating room etc.
These are easily explained by the fact that complete anasthesia of relevant parts of the brain is not always successfull.

Nevertheless, as I've said, humans are tethered to physicality. The fact that our awareness may reflect the manipulation of that physicality says nothing about what provides coherent awareness to begin with. It may very well be that whatever gives us conscious awareness also gives us the awareness to reflect what is being physically manipulated in order to provide an agenda for reality.
"An agenda for reality"? Some of the things you say honestly sound like muddled up word salad to me.

Friend, all of life is a leap in one way or another. I never claimed proof of existence of such a being. I simply said it speaks of God "to me".
So you believe in God but have no evidence for it. I am the same except that I would have just said as much from the start.

In my opinion.