• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Then and Now. Wearing that god-forsaken mask. ~or~ Yep, history indeed repeats itself.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
These surprisingly relevant vintage ads show how officials tried to convince people to wear masks after many refused during the 1918 flu pandemic

For some reason it just puts a smile on my face following in the tradition of our ole' grandpa and ole' grandma in the late great pandemic of the good ole' days.

Here's to tradition!

And may history repeat itself in the future as to future generations look back on us!

This post isn't really about the mask. heh.

It's more focused than just how history repeats itself over and over. It's really uncanny when you think about it. *Grin*

Good-Ole-Rebel

Have you or anyone seen the video of the 'Bakersfield Doctors' discussing how quarantining and masks are not the right direction at this time? If you haven't seen it, you should watch it.

You should place it here. I would, but I don't know how to move a video to a forum post.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Have you or anyone seen the video of the 'Bakersfield Doctors' discussing how quarantining and masks are not the right direction at this time? If you haven't seen it, you should watch it.

You should place it here. I would, but I don't know how to move a video to a forum post.

Good-Ole-Rebel
Let me guess, the right thing is to congregate in large groups, carrying guns and traitor flags?

Good-Ole-Rebel

Let me guess, the right thing is to congregate in large groups, carrying guns and traitor flags?

If you have anything to offer concerning my flag, there is a whole thread devoted to the Confederate cause. Before you respond to it you should read through it and educate yourself first.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
93494903_552154988824595_3052122945880064000_n.jpg

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
If you have anything to offer concerning my flag, there is a whole thread devoted to the Confederate cause. Before you respond to it you should read through it and educate yourself first.

Good-Ole-Rebel

I am well educated in the history. It is the battle flag of the Army of Northern Virginia the most well known symbol of the Confederacy that the Union troops faced.. Robert E. Lee's Army flag flown at the headquarters was different.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Good-Ole-Rebel

I don't know about the confederacy but in the real world wearing a mask is demonstrated to reduce transmission of the virus

mechanistic studies found that surgical masks could prevent transmission of human coronavirus and influenza virus infections if worn by infected persons
The Practice of Wearing Surgical Masks during the COVID-19 Pandemic

Advice on the use of masks in the community, during home care and in healthcare settings in the context of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I don't know about the confederacy but in the real world wearing a mask is demonstrated to reduce transmission of the virus

mechanistic studies found that surgical masks could prevent transmission of human coronavirus and influenza virus infections if worn by infected persons
The Practice of Wearing Surgical Masks during the COVID-19 Pandemic

Advice on the use of masks in the community, during home care and in healthcare settings in the context of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak

We are being asked, well in my area to wear non-surgical masks.
Such masks don't protect you, they help to protect others if you happen to have Covid-19.

Definitely not PPE. I wonder if there are any studies about the use of non-surgical masks in prevention.

Wandering Monk

Such masks don't protect you, they help to protect others if you happen to have Covid-19.

Since people can be without symptoms but still spread the virus, then this makes sense. If surgical masks were widely available, we should use them instead of non-surgical ones.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Since people can be without symptoms but still spread the virus, then this makes sense. If surgical masks were widely available, we should use them instead of non-surgical ones.

We've been told specifically not to. Leave the PPE for the Healthcare workers.
I'd think it depends greatly on the area you are living in. NYC definitely.

Stores in my area, masks are completely optional. Kind of surprised, thought I'd be seeing signs requiring masks.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
These surprisingly relevant vintage ads show how officials tried to convince people to wear masks after many refused during the 1918 flu pandemic

For some reason it just puts a smile on my face following in the tradition of our ole' grandpa and ole' grandma in the late great pandemic of the good ole' days.

Here's to tradition!

And may history repeat itself in the future as to future generations look back on us!

This post isn't really about the mask. heh.

It's more focused than just how history repeats itself over and over. It's really uncanny when you think about it. *Grin*

Back to the OP.

Well it has only been about 100 years. Just shows our politics have not evolved in the past 100 years.

Some people want folks in authority telling them what to do, others don't.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Definitely not PPE. I wonder if there are any studies about the use of non-surgical masks in prevention.

I ok with protecting others.

Not seen any studies.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I haven't checked it out yet from other sources, but last night on the national news I watched they said that in Japan, with only a limited lock-down, they have sharply reduced the numbers of covid patients to the point of opining up even more, but still with masks in place.

Rational Agnostic

Good-Ole-Rebel

The ER doctors? I have seen the entire video, and while I agree with many of their points in the second half of the video, their analysis of the data in the first half of the video is very flawed. They assumed that the proportion of tests that came back positive in any state or country is equal to the proportion of people in the entire population of that state or country who have had COVID-19. Now, you don't have to be an expert in statistics to see the problem with that assumption. The subset of people in a state who were tested for COVID-19 will almost certainly have a higher proportion of people with COVID-19 than the rest of the population, because most people who get tested presumably have symptoms, and thus have a higher probability of having the virus. So, the denominator that they were using in their mortality rates was wrong because they multiplied the proportion of people in this subset of the population who were COVID-positive by the entire population and used that as their denominator. This is obviously a flawed way of calculating the mortality rate. The true mortality rate is likely somewhere between what those doctors stated and what the mainstream media states. Evidence from antibody testing in New York indicates that it is around 0.6%, so still more dangerous than the flu, but less dangerous than people initially thought.

Humans being incredibly stupid and failing to learn from experience is a defining trait of our species so you'll no doubt get your wish...

They also protect you to a limited extent. But lowering the transmission rate in a pandemic benefits everyone.

A modelling study suggests that the use of facemasks in the community may help delay and contain a pandemic, although efficacy estimates were not based on RCT data.101 Community masks were protective during the SARS outbreaks, and about 76% of the population used a facemask in Hong Kong.102 There is evidence that masks have efficacy in the community setting, subject to compliance13 and early use.12 18 19
MacIntyre, C. R., & Chughtai, A. A. (2015). Facemasks for the prevention of infection in healthcare and community settings. BMJ, 350(apr09 1), h694–h694. doi:10.1136/bmj.h694

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Good-Ole-Rebel
Yes.
I was able to watch it before it was rightfully taken down.
Such bull **** should aggressively be removed as fast as possible.

In fact, those who make such videos should be brought up on charges for endangering the public.