• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thelema

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
So hard to choose my favourite Crowley... this is a good one from the Book of Lies

GOLD BRICKS
Teach us Your secret, Master! yap my Yahoos.
Then for the hardness of their hearts, and for the
softness of their heads, I taught them Magick.
But...alas!
Teach us Your real secret, Master! how to become
invisible, how to acquire love, and oh! beyond all,
how to make gold.
But how much gold will you give me for the Secret
of Infinite Riches?
Then said the foremost and most foolish; Master, it
is nothing; but here is an hundred thousand
pounds.
This did I deign to accept, and whispered in his ear
this secret:
A SUCKER IS BORN EVERY MINUTE.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
A bit of Both. The 'entity' which communicated Liber AL proclaimed himself a minister of HoorParKrat, and thus through him Crowley 'interacted' with the Egyptian Pantheon.

He was also in Egypt at the time of the books reception...

His transmission incorporated aspects of the Egyptian gods with the proclamation of a New Aeon to form the Thelemic deities Nuit, Hadit and RaHoorKuit

Ah, and don't forget, Set spoke too in the "Book of the Law". I, as a Black Brother, am a student and practitioner of the teachings of Aquino, Webb, LaVey, Flowers, and as a Setian Hermeticist, to me the Magickal teachings of Ipsissimus Crowley are also extremely important.

I feel emberassed asking this because after all these years I feel I should know, but what does "To Mega Therion" mean?

"Do What Thou Wilt, shall be the whole of the Law."

Xeper em Ma'at.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
Ah, and don't forget, Set spoke too in the "Book of the Law". I, as a Black Brother, am a student and practitioner of the teachings of Aquino, Webb, LaVey, Flowers, and as a Setian Hermeticist, to me the Magickal teachings of Ipsissimus Crowley are also extremely important.

I feel emberassed asking this because after all these years I feel I should know, but what does "To Mega Therion" mean?

"Do What Thou Wilt, shall be the whole of the Law."

Xeper em Ma'at.
/Adramelek\

Out of interest, which section of Liber AL do you refer to Set specifically?

To Mega Therion was Crowley's magickal motto in the grade of Magus 9=2 A.'.A.'.

In Thelemic mysticism it is the Magus that utters the Word.. thus is was To Mega Therion who spoke the word Thelema

Setian hermeticist, eh? ;)

Octavia156

OTO/EGC
THE ETHICS OF THE BOOK OF THE LAW. (The Confessions of Aliester Crowley Chp49)

Every cosmography implies some sort of ethical theory. The Aeon of Osiris had been succeeded by that of Horus. The Magical Formula of the Aeon being no longer that of the Dying god but that o the Crowned and Conquering Child, mankind is to govern itself accordingly. A "righteous" act may be defined as one which fulfils the existing Magical Formula. The motives which were valid in the Aeon of Osiris are sheer superstition today. What were those motives and on what basis did they rest?

The old conception was that man was born to die; that eternal life had to be gained by a magical act, exactly as the sun had to be brought to life every morning by the priest.

There is no need to develop the ethics of Thelema in detail, for everything springs with absolute logic from the singular principle, "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law." Or, to put it another way, "There is no law beyond Do what thou wilt." And, "thou hast no right but to do thy will." This formula itself springs ineluctably from the conception of the individual outlined in the preceding section. "The word of Sin is Restriction." "It is a lie, this folly against self." The theory is that every man and every woman has each definite attributes whose tendency, considered in due relation to environment, indicate a proper course of action in each case. To pursue this course of action is to do one's true will. "Do that, and no other shall say nay."

The physical parallel still holds. In a galaxy each star has its own magnitude, characteristics and direction and the celestial harmony is best maintained by its attending to its own business. Nothing could be more subversive of that harmony than if a number of stars set up in a uniform standard of conduct insisted on everyone aiming at the same goal, going at the same pace, and so on. Even a single star, by refusing to do its own will, by restricting itself in any way, would immediately produce disorder.
We have a sentimental idea of self-sacrifice, the kind which is most esteemed by the vulgar and is the essence of popular Christianity. It is the sacrifice of the strong to the weak. This is wholly against the principles of evolution. Any nation which does this systematically on a sufficiently large scale, simply destroys itself. The sacrifice is in vain; the weak are not even save. Consider the action of Zanoni in going to the scaffold in order to save his silly wife. The gesture was magnificent; it was evidence of his own supreme courage and moral strength; but if everyone acted on that principle the race would deteriorate and disappear.
There is here a conflict between private and public morality. We should not protect the weak and the vicious from the results of their inferiority. By doing so, we perpetuate the elements of dissolution in our own social body. We should rather aid nature by subjecting every newcomer to the most rigorous tests of his fitness to deal with his environment. The human race grew in stature and intelligence as long as the individual prowess achieved security, so that the strongest and cleverest people were able to reproduce their kind in the best conditions. But when security became general through the operation of altruism the most degenerate of the people were often the offspring of the strongest.

The Book of the Law regards pity as despicable. The reason is partly indicated in the above paragraph. But further, to pity another man is to insult him. He also is a star, "one, individual and eternal". The Book does not condemn fighting --- "If he be a King, thou canst not hurt him."

There are many ethical injunctions of a revolutionary character in the Book, but they are all particular cases of the general precept to realize one's own absolute God-head and to act with the nobility which springs from that knowledge. Practically all vices springs from failure to do this. For example: falsehood is invariably the child of fear in one form or another.

All Aleister Crowley material is Copyright © Ordo Templi Orientis

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Out of interest, which section of Liber AL do you refer to Set specifically?

According to the Book of Coming Forth by Night it is as follows:

"And I, Set, spoke too in the Book of the Law - Aye! Listen to the numbers and the words -
4 6 3 8 A B K 2 9 A L G M O R 3 Y X (24) (89) R P S T O V A L

- what meaneth this, o prophet? Thou knowest not: nor shalt thou know ever. There cometh one to follow thee: he shall expound it."

We've actually discussed this before... remember?

IAO Set!

Last edited:

JessicaSideways

Thelemic Ex-Christian
Its saying interpret the Book yourself and avoid having to listen to what other people think it means.

Its also a typical Crowleyan joke. OTO is one great big 'centre of pestilance' :p

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.

Yeah, so many people in my local body refer to hermetic.com, which has a whole list of comments on Liber AL appropriately named "Centres of Pestilence".

Love is the Law, Love under Will.