• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thelema and Xeper – An Essay

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Thelema is a Greek word repurposed by Aleister Crowley in 1904. It has grown very important in modern occultism, and is considered the Word of the Aeon of Horus. A “Word” is just a fancy term for a central concept to a philosophy, it is a summation of the ideology as a whole. For example, when we say “Thelema” we have numerous things that it automatically refers to, including Crowley, The Book of the Law, the moral system of Thelema, the Gods, the G.D and OTO, etc. and so on. It is consider something intensely magical, because it brings a lasting, philosophical and practical change to the objective universe. So what is an “Aeon”? It goes along with the other question: what is “Horus”?

Horus is the Platonic Form of Order. If you are unfamiliar with Platonic Forms, think of Archetypes which literally exist. For example, two triangles can be identified no matter how varied due to their Form, their essence, that which makes them triangles. Likewise, there is an Order which underlies all of our physical, objective universe and has, it seems, since the universe came into existence. Perhaps this may boil down to a few mathematical equations on day, but even those will still share the Form of Order. Were Order not a fundamental part of the universe, there could be no consistency, and therefore nothing like math, logic, or science could exist. An Aeon is simply an ideology which rules a system. The Aeon of Horus, therefore, is the time ruled by ideologies routed in the Form of Order. Ironically, we see this Order manifest in the real world during this time, with fascism running rampant, a very conservative United States, things of that nature.

The word Thelema itself translates to “Will”, in the sense of divine will or the will of God. In this case, God is associated with Order, a very strict, solar type force similar to the Tao of Taoism. It’s not necessarily personal though, more reminiscent of the mystical All than a monotheistic God. So, the will of this “God” is equivalent to the natural order of the universe, the natural functioning of the All. In Thelema, the goal is to understand one’s place and role in this order, and it is believed that this falling in line with the will of God will lead to a peaceful life, less obstacles, as well as an eventual Union with the All itself.

Understanding one’s Thelema seems to be extremely important. To illustrate: image you spend your whole life growing up wanting to be a teacher, but your physician parents insist you go into their field and inherit the practice. If you follow your Thelema, in this case teaching, you are more likely to be happy and satisfied in life, more willful and dedicated, than if you had followed the will of others. Thelema is a deep understanding of who one is, what one wants, which limits one has and which of those can be overcome, etc and so on. “Know thyself,” in essence.

On the other hand, Xeper (Xpr) is a verb from early ancient Egyptian times, repurposed by Michael Aquino in 1975. It has also grown very important, if to a lesser extent and strictly to the western Left-Hand Path. It is the Word to describe the Aeon of Set. We’ve discussed what a Word and Aeon are, so what is Set? Set is the Platonic Form of individual Selfhood. That constant, fundamental part of you that can realize and claim “I exist,” which sets us and few other animals apart from the rest of Horus/God/Nature. It is that which can separate itself from, question, and even go against and manipulate the Order of nature in accordance with individual will. One of the oldest meanings of the name “Set” is “separator” or “isolator.”

The word Xeper is verb meaning “to become” or “becoming”. It represents a change that has already occurred though can occur again. It was tied to the god of the dawning sun, Khepri, and can be seen as referring to that moment when the sun “comes into being” over the horizon. Xeper, like Thelema, is very important and even unavoidable. Changes in one’s Self and the world one lives in all fall under Xeper. While knowing one’s Thelema is important, it is only through Xeper, change and coming into a new state of being, that one actually does their true will. Simply being aware of it is not enough, one must actively work for it, as well as work to control it.

The critical failure of Crowley was starting with the external system and focusing on Order, whereas Thelema requires a much greater independence that cannot be found in a brotherhood, or by limiting readers to a single source. Crowley believed in the popular Egyptian myth of Horus overthrowing Set, zen-ing it to enlightenment by falling in line with order rather than fighting for it, but this story hardly illustrates the complex relationship between Horus and Set we are now aware of. Imagine if Crowley had access to H. Te Velde and other such authors! I believe a lot of AL was misunderstood and even twisted by Crowley and his interpretation, and I think the paths that have extended from it are equally flawed. Thelema is important, yes. But it is not the beginning and ending, and by far the simpler and more direct course compared to Xeper.

I’m out of steam, damn. Been meaning to write this for a while and it’s at least a good start. 93 and Xeper.

Liu

Sounds like a good summary. Most wasn't new to me, but it's helpful to have an overview like that.

Reading it, the distinction between Horus and Set (as the universe versus consciousness) reminded me of the distinction between Shakti and Shiva in some kinds of Hinduism. I'm no expert on that either, but I'm more familiar with it than with the Khemetic system.
In case you know about these aspects of Hinduism, have you observed this similarity, too, and would you agree with it? Or do you see any huge differences that would make the comparison void?

Premium Member
Sounds like a good summary. Most wasn't new to me, but it's helpful to have an overview like that.

Reading it, the distinction between Horus and Set (as the universe versus consciousness) reminded me of the distinction between Shakti and Shiva in some kinds of Hinduism. I'm no expert on that either, but I'm more familiar with it than with the Khemetic system.
In case you know about these aspects of Hinduism, have you observed this similarity, too, and would you agree with it? Or do you see any huge differences that would make the comparison void?

I have heard it touched upon many times, but I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough on Hinduism.

Liu

I see, thanks for replying.

One difference might be that Shakti seems to be seen as much more active than Horus - it even means "(life) force".
I have encountered Setians characterizing Horus as lifeless, whereas a famous Hindu saying is "Shiva without Shakti is shava ('a corpse')".
The reason for this contradiction is, I guess, that there is a difference in which aspects of reality get attributed to each. I think that Set represents not only consciousness per se but also at least parts of the mind, whereas in Hinduism, the mind is seen as part of Shakti.
Or am I mistaken here on the Setian view of things?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member

Setians are extreme individuals and philosopher magickians, we work with a concept and formulate our own thoughts, ideas, and understandings. For instance, individual Setians tend to view Horus in differing ways; 1137 and I view Horus a bit differently.

I see Horus/HarWer as mankind's collective subconscious mind. In another sense Horus is Unity, the uniting of the Two Lands (politically - Upper and Lower Egypt). The uniting of the metaphysical with the physical, the non-natural with the natural. Horus being a result of the synthesis of combining/infusing the Essence of the Black Flame with the DNA of a species of the natural order. Horus and his Falcon are often depicted wearing the Double Crown of united Egypt, especially during the reign of the Ramessides.

409362179_tp.jpg

Last edited:

Premium Member
I see, thanks for replying.

One difference might be that Shakti seems to be seen as much more active than Horus - it even means "(life) force".
I have encountered Setians characterizing Horus as lifeless, whereas a famous Hindu saying is "Shiva without Shakti is shava ('a corpse')".
The reason for this contradiction is, I guess, that there is a difference in which aspects of reality get attributed to each. I think that Set represents not only consciousness per se but also at least parts of the mind, whereas in Hinduism, the mind is seen as part of Shakti.

Like Adramelek says, there is definitely debate over who or what Horus is. I wouldn't be opposed to calling Horus the life force in a way we could call the Tao a life force. It does sustain and is required for all reality. I just don't think Horus is necessarily cognitive, it does what it does without reason or question, and must be fought against for change - you cannot appeal to it. I invoke Horus basically as you would ask for luck, like with a job interview. Set helps me be a strong individual, Thoth gets invoked to have knowledge within the interview, Horus gets invoked hoping that nobody interviewing me is having a **** day, they don't hate me based on what OK wearing, they aren't assuming I'm just a lazy kid, and so on. I think Horus ALSO included the human subconscious as Adramelek does, because the subconscious is just as linear, unquestioning, and unaware of itself as Horus.

Maybe I would call Horus the Elder Order, and Horus the Younger subconsciousness. your thoughts, @Adramelek ?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Understanding one’s Thelema seems to be extremely important. To illustrate: image you spend your whole life growing up wanting to be a teacher, but your physician parents insist you go into their field and inherit the practice. If you follow your Thelema, in this case teaching, you are more likely to be happy and satisfied in life, more willful and dedicated, than if you had followed the will of others. Thelema is a deep understanding of who one is, what one wants, which limits one has and which of those can be overcome, etc and so on. “Know thyself,” in essence.

The word Xeper is verb meaning “to become” or “becoming”. It represents a change that has already occurred though can occur again. It was tied to the god of the dawning sun, Khepri, and can be seen as referring to that moment when the sun “comes into being” over the horizon. Xeper, like Thelema, is very important and even unavoidable. Changes in one’s Self and the world one lives in all fall under Xeper. While knowing one’s Thelema is important, it is only through Xeper, change and coming into a new state of being, that one actually does their true will. Simply being aware of it is not enough, one must actively work for it, as well as work to control it.

I see Thelema/True Will as an important guiding principle in the great Work of Life, of becoming the supreme manifestation of one's own spiritual divinity or Truth of Being. Some of us come to know and understand our Thelema early on, for others it can remain illusive for some time. The principle and quest of Xeper helps us to come to know and understand our True Will (though primarily indirectly) and it is through the quest of Xeper that we come to make it manifest.

Last edited:

Onyx

Premium Member
In the Set/Horus boat race, Horus used his knowledge of the natural universe to trick Set's perceptual nature. Both boats were supposed to be stone, but Horus used one made of wood with a faux stone finish. Of course, Set's boat sank and Horus won the race, winning the throne of Egypt.

Mankind's powers of thought and perception, granted by Set, continue to reveal Horus's trickery. We have gained mastery over many of the illusions nature has placed before us, and for this reason it is accurate to say we exist and work within the Aeon of Set now rather than the Aeon of Horus.

Just a thought. Xeper.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I just don't think Horus is necessarily cognitive, it does what it does without reason or question,

That is a fitting description of the personality of Horus. ;)

Horus the Elder - Order, and Horus the Younger - Sub-consciousness, hmm, that is interesting.

Premium Member
In the Set/Horus boat race, Horus used his knowledge of the natural universe to trick Set's perceptual nature. Both boats were supposed to be stone, but Horus used one made of wood with a faux stone finish. Of course, Set's boat sank and Horus won the race, winning the throne of Egypt.

Mankind's powers of thought and perception, granted by Set, continue to reveal Horus's trickery. We have gained mastery over many of the illusions nature has placed before us, and for this reason it is accurate to say we exist and work within the Aeon of Set now rather than the Aeon of Horus.

Just a thought. Xeper.

Horus also tricked Set by ejaculating on his lettuce, and casting Sets semen into the river. Very interesting.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I have edited my above post #6 as I think it is more accurate to say that to me Horus is a result of the synthesis of combining/infusing the Black Flame with the DNA of a natural species.

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I see Horus/HarWer as mankind's collective subconscious mind. In another sense Horus is Unity, the uniting of the Two Lands (politically - Upper and Lower Egypt). The uniting of the metaphysical with the physical, the non-natural with the natural. Horus being a result of the synthesis of combining/infusing the Essence of the Black Flame with the DNA of a species of the natural order. Horus and his Falcon are often depicted wearing the Double Crown of united Egypt, especially during the reign of the Ramessides.

Set was the patron god of the Ramessides.

Set and Horus ordaining king Ramesses II with the Double Crown:​

set-abu.jpg

Last edited:

Onyx

Premium Member
Horus also tricked Set by ejaculating on his lettuce, and casting Sets semen into the river. Very interesting.
Set conceded defeat only after being deceived by his own perceptions during the boat race. The story is meaningful to me as a reminder to not always believe what I see.

Premium Member
Set conceded defeat only after being deceived by his own perceptions during the boat race. The story is meaningful to me as a reminder to not always believe what I see.

Have you read the tale of two brothers?

Premium Member
I'm lucky I found my way back here with the new horrible design choices. If it's not popular I guess we don't need to see it!

Now before I was angered by the forum not allowing us to chose even what content we see, I was thinking about the election of a fascist in the United States and what it says about Thelema and Xeper. America has been deeply desiring change, desiring Xeper, at almost any cost. It's the reason Bernie Sanders was so loved, he promised to bring change, and Trump promised the same thing. But when it came to Trump and status quo Clinton, the country still decided to move forward with Xeper at all costs.

In Setianism we tend to see Xeper as always good, but I think Thelema provides a moral system within which Xeper should work. Do what thou wilt, every man and woman is a star, existence is joy. Thelema brings us the love and respect for individual Selves which Xeper then grows upon. But Xeper can work without such a system, like giving power to a racist, sexist, pedophile who is completely against individual freedom in favor of setting us back decades socially. This has made me believe Xeper needs Thelema to be wielded properly. Trump seems like a change over the status quo, but it's a step back, a step towards the MORE Osirian, not less. Not all change, not all Xeper, can be good. And when used at large without Thelema to balance it, we get the situation we are in now.

For Xeper to work all around, Thelema would need to be inforced as Law, the earthly Horus to the cosmic Set. Trump may seem like the path of Xeper to many, but all in all it takes us the wrong direction. It limits Xeper, and ****s all over Thelema in its entirety. It's the best possible illustration of why others and the world at large must be kept in mind. I fear the LHP is moving to much into selfishness of the individual, losing sight of individual self-hood and freedom over all. We need to reintegrate Thelema back into Setianism and the LHP, and take charge in a world that's very quickly strengthening it's Osirian muscles once again.

Onyx

Premium Member
Many people (even those in power) get carried away with their random LBM findings without really knowing what they are doing. They don't understand the concepts of balance or finesse at all, let alone those of Thelema or Xeper.

My understanding of Xeper is that it has no prerequisites, but does necessitate a careful, ethical pursuit if one is to be successful. I'm not sure this requires Thelema per se, but I can see how this approach might be useful, so I'm going to look into it for myself.

Last edited:
One should realise the great difference between ' ancient Egyptian ' and the Thelemic metaphors of 'neo-Egyptology' . I would not conflate the two .

Crowley used some of their ideas as metaphors to get across HIS ideas, not theirs.

Then f you add another interpretation on to Crowley's , like Grant and co ... and use that with an ancient Egyptian system ...... yoiks !

Onyx

Premium Member
I've given this thread some thought, and have this to add:

In an abstract sense, I've had my own personal "Aeons" of Osiris, Horus, and Set. (Self-Denial, Self-Realization, Xeper.) This led me to the idea of an "Aeon of Self", specifically, the ability of the Isolate Will to encapsulate and redirect Aeonic energies which exist over a much greater timespan than the individual himself.

I feel that this concept emphasizes the divine nature of Self, and it's role in the functioning of the Universe. Not as a servant, but as a master.

Last edited: