• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists who believe in freewill?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A belief is not an assumption and that is why there are two words. An “Assumption” is where you believe something to be true, but it is yet unproven while a “belief” is something you are certain is true. However, our beliefs may, in fact, be assumptions that are in the end false.
Assumption vs. Belief – Why You Need To Know The Difference
I looked at that sentence and then the link, and I still don't find any distinction between an assumption and a belief.

This was an illustration from your link:

"For example, a young boy’s mindset may be based on the assumption that all dogs are friendly since he has only experienced friendly dogs. So he makes the choice to pet a passing dog. The action of leaning over to pet the dog startles the dog and the outcome is that the dog snaps at his hand. The boy’s new mindset is modified from “all dogs are friendly” to “not all dogs are friendly.” The boy created a new assumption based on the outcome and his experience."

The boy's assumptions and beliefs changed together with a single event. Why? Because those are two words for the same thing. Can you offer an example where it would be correct to say that somebody's assumptions have changed but not his beliefs, or vice versa? I can't.

I don't see a difference here. Do you?: "I assume that Bob is late because he hit traffic, but I could be wrong" and "I believe that Bob is late because he hit traffic, but I could be wrong."

You've attempted to argue something similar in the past, that expressed beliefs are not claims: "That is a religious belief, not a claim" - Trailblazer. I also saw no distinction there.
God does not need a reason to exist, God either exists or not.
Yes, gods either exist or not, but how does that excuse any existing god from existing for a reason? Substitute any other word or phrase for "God" and see if you like that sentence: Rain doesn't need a reason to exist. It either exists or not.
The reason I believe that God exists and is all-knowing and all-powerful is because that was revealed by Baha'u'llah.
I suppose that you don't consider that an assumption. I do. You assume that your god exists, which is saying the same thing as that you believe that your god exists.
The Bible confirms that belief.
No, the Bible confirms nothing except that it was written. It is evidence of nothing else. It is not evidence that a god exists, just that people have believes such, so it can't confirm that claim, belief, or assumption.
The God is not different, only the beliefs about that God are different. Same God, different beliefs.
If the descriptions are contradictory, they are describing different gods. The Christian god has different features from the god you believe in. You say so frequently. You've said so recently in this thread:

Me: "Their god sent Jesus to be tortured for them and it condemns the souls that won't pay it fealty to eternal suffering. I don't think any other god that people have claimed exists fits that description."

You: "Certainly the God I believe in does not fit that description. That s not even the God of the Bible, it is the man-made god of Christian dogma."

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I looked at that sentence and then the link, and I still don't find any distinction between an assumption and a belief.
An “Assumption” is where you believe something to be true, but it is yet unproven while a “belief” is something you are certain is true.

A belief is something you are certain is true.
An assumption is something you only believe is true that is yet unproven.
You've attempted to argue something similar in the past, that expressed beliefs are not claims: "That is a religious belief, not a claim" - Trailblazer. I also saw no distinction there.
A belief is something you believe is true.
A claim is something you are claiming (asserting) to be true.
Yes, gods either exist or not, but how does that excuse any existing god from existing for a reason? Substitute any other word or phrase for "God" and see if you like that sentence: Rain doesn't need a reason to exist. It either exists or not.
I said: God does not need a reason to exist, God either exists or not.

God would not need an excuse for existing, even if there was no reason for God to exist.
However, I did not say that there is no reason for God to exist. God exists for a reason.

God exists for ruling and maintaining the universe, and that includes sending Messengers to earth..
I suppose that you don't consider that an assumption. I do. You assume that your god exists, which is saying the same thing as that you believe that your god exists.
It is a belief, not an assumption. I do not assume that God exists, I believe that God exists.

A belief is something you are certain is true.
An assumption is something you only believe is true that is yet unproven.
No, the Bible confirms nothing except that it was written. It is evidence of nothing else. It is not evidence that a god exists, just that people have believes such, so it can't confirm that claim, belief, or assumption.
I said: The reason I believe that God exists and is all-knowing and all-powerful is because that was revealed by Baha'u'llah. The Bible confirms that belief.
The Bible confirms my belief that God exists and is all-knowing and all-powerful.

Who said anything about evidence? The Bible is evidence that God exists for some people, but it is not evidence for all people.
If the descriptions are contradictory, they are describing different gods. The Christian god has different features from the god you believe in. You say so frequently. You've said so recently in this thread:

Me: "Their god sent Jesus to be tortured for them and it condemns the souls that won't pay it fealty to eternal suffering. I don't think any other god that people have claimed exists fits that description."

You: "Certainly the God I believe in does not fit that description. That s not even the God of the Bible, it is the man-made god of Christian dogma."
If the descriptions are contradictory, they are describing different beliefs about God. Christians believe that God has some different features from the God that I believe in, although there are a lot of features that both Christians and Baha'is believe God has, e.g, Unchanging, Impassable, Infinite, Omnipresent, Self-Existent, Self-Sufficient, and Immaterial, Sovereign, Eternal, Holy, All-Powerful, All-Knowing, All-Wise, Infallible, All-Good, All-Loving, Gracious, Merciful, Just, Righteous, Forgiving, Patient.

In short, there is only one God, Christians and Baha'is just believe 'some' different things about that God.
That is because we are reading different scriptures.