• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists who believe in freewill?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Does God have control over the future of our souls and the universe? If yes, is our freewill not redundant if it is going to go according to God’s plan anyway? If no, does that mean there is a chance God’s will might not be done?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Does God have control over the future of our souls and the universe? If yes, is our freewill not redundant if it is going to go according to God’s plan anyway? If no, does that mean there is a chance God’s will might not be done?

Freewill is granted. God knows what our choices are. The plan works with our choices included.

That is why God continually warns us of the consequences of our actions.

Regards Tony

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
No, He doesn't have control over the future.
There are 8 billion free wills... God cannot control them.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Does God have control over the futur+e of our souls and the universe? If yes, is our freewill not redundant if it is going to go according to God’s plan anyway? If no, does that mean there is a chance God’s will might not be done?

So, we'll assume that God being omniscient, God knows all possible futures.
Freewill means God allows humans to choose between good and evil.
This would mean we are free to choose, as granted by God, which of those possible futures will come to be.
So God is all knowing except God has allow humans to which future will exist.

If it is God's will that humans choose the future then whatever we choose is according to God's will.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you

I think that the introduction of algorithms as standard to the processing of web-based data and a wider understanding by the public of what this means, gives us a new and improved way of approaching the never-ending question of about the concept of free will vs. that of determinism.

If physical existence were to run by “code”, to learn from accumulated data and evolve accordingly, then the emergence of “free will” -as in decision making/agency/choice- would be its inevitable outcome.

Note: I’m not literally suggesting that we exist in a simulation, but using an familiar, modern human concept to speak of a spiritual one.

Humbly,
Hermit

PureX

Veteran Member
What God does or does not do is irrelevant to us when we have no idea what that outcome will be. We still have to make our choices and take our chances.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Does God have control over the future of our souls and the universe?
According to my beliefs, he can exercise control but mostly doesn't

If no, does that mean there is a chance God’s will might not be done?
He doesn't have to exercise total control for his will to be done

We can have authentic free-will in a universe in which God's will will be done, the two don't cancel each other out

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I don't believe that God has control over our individual souls. The ultimate direction of the universe, yes. The individual dots in between, no.

The Sum of Awe

Freewill is granted. God knows what our choices are. The plan works with our choices included.

That is why God continually warns us of the consequences of our actions.

Regards Tony
Is there no way that our choices could stray from what God has planned? If not, how is it freewill? Is it truly free if our choices all lead to the same outcome?

The Sum of Awe

So, we'll assume that God being omniscient, God knows all possible futures.
Freewill means God allows humans to choose between good and evil.
This would mean we are free to choose, as granted by God, which of those possible futures will come to be.
So God is all knowing except God has allow humans to which future will exist.

If it is God's will that humans choose the future then whatever we choose is according to God's will.
It would seem that God has no objectives in creating this universe, then? Other than watching us choose?

The Sum of Awe

I think that the introduction of algorithms as standard to the processing of web-based data and a wider understanding by the public of what this means, gives us a new and improved way of approaching the never-ending question of about the concept of free will vs. that of determinism.

If physical existence were to run by “code”, to learn from accumulated data and evolve accordingly, then the emergence of “free will” -as in decision making/agency/choice- would be its inevitable outcome.

Note: I’m not literally suggesting that we exist in a simulation, but using an familiar, modern human concept to speak of a spiritual one.

Humbly,
Hermit
What makes you say that it’s an inevitable outcome?

The Sum of Awe

What God does or does not do is irrelevant to us when we have no idea what that outcome will be. We still have to make our choices and take our chances.
I agree with this for a beneficial existential philosophy, but ontological curiosities are still worthy of attention.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
What makes you say that it’s an inevitable outcome?

Something that is programmed to learn and evolve from the data it accumulates and processes, will do just that.

The more data it accumulates, the more complex its processings become. At every stage, it’s learning which variables to include in which circumstances. It selects what is of relevance to include in a particular context, based on what has been processed as relevant in similar contexts over time.

So far, these selections/choices are determined by the processing of accumulated data.
But it is not unthinkable that as the complexity of what is processed and accumulated increases, an ability to deviate from code may also arise.
In humans, this may be equivalent to the accumulation of conscience (in addition to reg. consciousness and self-consciousness) - an ethical aspect to agency.

Humbly,
Hermit

The Sum of Awe

Something that is programmed to learn and evolve from the data it accumulates and processes, will do just that.

The more data it accumulates, the more complex its processings become. At every stage, it’s learning which variables to include in which circumstances. It selects what is of relevance to include in a particular context, based on what has been processed as relevant in similar contexts over time.

So far, these selections/choices are determined by the processing of accumulated data.
But it is not unthinkable that as the complexity of what is processed and accumulated increases, an ability to deviate from code may also arise.
In humans, this may be equivalent to the accumulation of conscience (in addition to reg. consciousness and self-consciousness) - an ethical aspect to agency.

Humbly,
Hermit
It’s understandable why you would think that, but I find it just as likely that this process was set out by the designer, we are determined what data we accumulate and process. I’ve had very little say, for example, in what lessons life has taught me. It seems life chooses its own lessons for each “program”.