• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists: What would a godless universe look like?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Advice to God: next time, I would recommend to design that sort of warning system for sin, too. It would simplify things a lot.

Ciao

- viole
Well, what was the warning given to A&E? Death. Pretty strong. Wouldn't you say?
Really though, their love for their Father -- who'd given them everything -- should have been the main motivating factor.

I mean, nothing that existed in that garden was harmful! That's why Eve went straight up to that serpent. It was all Isaiah 11:6-9, back then.

Take care.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Well, what was the warning given to A&E? Death. Pretty strong. Wouldn't you say?
Really though, their love for their Father -- who'd given them everything -- should have been the main motivating factor.

I mean, nothing that existed in that garden was harmful! That's why Eve went straight up to that serpent. It was all Isaiah 11:6-9, back then.

Take care.

Yes, but you have to admit that a natural defence would have been much better. We have plenty of them, already. For instance, when something stinks, we do not eat it, no matter how delicious it looks. And we feel naturally disgusted at the very thought of eating repelling things, like a rotting dead body, for instance. And even with all these natural defences, I do not feel my free will is impinged in any significant way.

But sin? I mean, why not sinning? Most of what you consider sin is probably great fun. And don't forget that most people in history never heard of your Bible. Never heard of the Father, the Son, and all that story. So, they have no idea they were sinning.

So, I think that a better design would have improved efficiency a lot, and spared us from all that cosmic drama. Not to speak of potentially sparing also the brief loss of life of the designer's own son. I mean, who designs things so badly that he needs to send his own son in a short death state to correct it, after having tried with almost total annihilation (and failed).

If you guys insist that this whole thing is a design, I would not call it ID. Looks more like SD to me.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Colt

I have a genuine question for theists and it is not meant to be a trick in any way. There are many things that I would expect to see in a universe containing a benevolent, omnipotent, personal god that I don't see in this universe, which leads me to conclude that such a god is unlikely to exist. I'm curious as to what theists would expect to see in a godless universe, and how a godless universe would differ from one in which a god existed. What would you expect this universe to look like if no gods existed, and how would that be different from the current universe?
It wouldn't exist, effect couldn't exist without cause. "There is but one uncaused Cause in the whole universe." UB 1955

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
It wouldn't exist, effect couldn't exist without cause. "There is but one uncaused Cause in the whole universe." UB 1955

Ancient outdated apologetic arguments do not work and are so circular they bite you in the butt.

It is possible that Natural Laws and natural processes are eternal and the cause of our physical existence. There is no evidence of a definitive beginning to our physical existence

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Its a fact, the Universe has a source. That one calls it God, which isn't a proper name, is a preference, but that doesn't negate the fact the effects must have a cause.

I believe God is the 'Source of everything some call God(s), but beyond that we cannot determine definitively that our physical existence had a beginning.

Colt

Ancient outdated apologetic arguments do not work and are so circular they bite you in the butt.

It is possible that Natural Laws and natural processes are eternal and the cause of our physical existence. There is no evidence of a definitive beginning to our physical existence
Natural laws come from God, the I AM. Atheism is outdated.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Its a fact, the Universe has a source. That one calls it God, which isn't a proper name, is a preference, but that doesn't negate the fact the effects must have a cause.

We don't know that. Now it could be that your position is correct, but it is unknowable as far as I can tell.

ameyAtmA

~ ~
Premium Member
OP: What would a godless universe look like?

Well, what would a Hubert-less arm-of-Hubert look like?

What would a Hubert-less expression-of-Hubert look like?

What would a Hubert-less speech or post-of-Hubert look like?

What would a Hubert-less dance-of-Hubert look like?

The Universe is God's dance, dream, expression.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Natural laws come from God, the I AM. Atheism is outdated.

I also believe the Natural Laws come from God, but there is no objective evidence to support this. It is a matter of belief.

Did not address the post. What would a godless universe look like? The same as a universe with God.

Please respond to the previous post, without the simple assertions of belief..

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Effect can't exist without cause" vs an "uncaused cause."
Have you read Orwell? Do you know what "doublethink" is?

I suspect those who insist the universe works by the same planned, intentional, cause-and-effect they see in human endeavors don't know much about physics. It's an unfounded extrapolation.

Colt

We don't know that. Now it could be that your position is correct, but it is unknowable as far as I can tell.
"Effect can't exist without cause" vs an "uncaused cause."
Have you read Orwell? Do you know what "doublethink" is?

I suspect those who insist the universe works by the same planned, intentional, cause-and-effect they see in human endeavors don't know much about physics. It's an unfounded extrapolation.
Take the existential I AM-God out of the equation, you are still left with an existential infinity.

Colt

I also believe the Natural Laws come from God, but there is no objective evidence to support this. It is a matter of belief.

Did not address the post. What would a godless universe look like? The same as a universe with God.

Please respond to the previous post, without the simple assertions of belief..
A universe without a source wouldn't exist (call that source what you like). The universe cannot be explained by finites without acknowledging Infinites.

3:6.3 (53.1) All religious philosophy, sooner or later, arrives at the concept of unified universe rule, of one God. Universe causes cannot be lower than universe effects. The source of the streams of universe life and of the cosmic mind must be above the levels of their manifestation. The human mind cannot be consistently explained in terms of the lower orders of existence. Man’s mind can be truly comprehended only by recognizing the reality of higher orders of thought and purposive will. Man as a moral being is inexplicable unless the reality of the Universal Father is acknowledged.

3:6.4 (53.2) The mechanistic philosopher professes to reject the idea of a universal and sovereign will, the very sovereign will whose activity in the elaboration of universe laws he so deeply reverences. What unintended homage the mechanist pays the law-Creator when he conceives such laws to be self-acting and self-explanatory!" UB 1955